A400M

HSF

LE
Heard prototype concord take off from Heathrow one day as it had been diverted there due to bad weather at home.That was impresive,the ground shook.On another occasion a couple of (I think) Buckaneers?) taking off for same reason

The constitution of the Franco-German C-130J squadron based on BA123, in Evreux has started with the first 2 German airmen (a Capt. and a WO1) joining the squadron.

This squadron, which should ultimately be composed of 2 C-130J and 2 KC-130J from the FAF (already delivered) and 3 C-130J-30s and 3 KC-130Js (to be delivered) from the LW had been mentioned on this thread on several occasions so here are the first pictures.

1592324991393.png

1592325168916.png

1592325198451.png

1592325224456.png

Flights have already taken place, the first long distance flight having taken the binational crew to French Guyana via Senegal.

Ref. the SOATU patch visible on one pic, I have no explanation since this squadron is a conventional one.

Last edited:
@fantassin , and, it been an aeronautical subject/thread . . . can be presume, that the working language of the unit, will be English ?! ;) .

Or - like Bosnian schools - do they have one week latinic, and the next week cyrillic ?!

DELETE: latinic . . . cyrillic
INSERT: German . . . French.

@fantassin , and, it been an aeronautical subject/thread . . . can be presume, that the working language of the unit, will be English ?! ;) .

Or - like Bosnian schools - do they have one week latinic, and the next week cyrillic ?!

DELETE: latinic . . . cyrillic
INSERT: German . . . French.
The 2 German airmen are supposed to have followed intensive French lessons.

In both the French and German forces there are some very good speakers of each other's languages who also tend to be Francophiles/Germanophiles. I think there must have been no shortage of volunteers.

Some German cadets do their officiers' school in France and the opposite is also true.

For activities were the internationally agreed language is English, they will of course use it.

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
..perhaps someone ought to take that nice Mr Boeing to one side and clout him/her/itabout the head until they make the C-17 (RAF) work from the off, instead of down the road, several billions of dollars later.
Mr Boeing will get around to it once he has sorted out all the 737 Max problems around the world.

ABNredleg

War Hero
As stated that is the aim of the dispatchers but is - in my opinion - rarely achieved for the whole run. And that was with 31 lobbing each side! Another thought is that by 58 going out each side, the guys at each end have a bloody long way to walk to their respective RVs.
We routinely put 120 jumpers out of a C-141 and the alternating door stuff went out the door really quickly - never seemed to have an issue with collisions, however.

The 2 German airmen are supposed to have followed intensive French lessons.

In both the French and German forces there are some very good speakers of each other's languages who also tend to be Francophiles/Germanophiles. I think there must have been no shortage of volunteers.

Some German cadets do their officiers' school in France and the opposite is also true.

For activities were the internationally agreed language is English, they will of course use it.
Its always handy just in case Alsace Lorraine changes hands again. You never can trust those Prussians.

We routinely put 120 jumpers out of a C-141 and the alternating door stuff went out the door really quickly - never seemed to have an issue with collisions, however.
Must be something to do with the airflow around the arrse of the C130. I actually went through the rigging lines of another parachute one night. Up inside the canopy, luckily I came out through the same lines!

Must be something to do with the airflow around the arrse of the C130. I actually went through the rigging lines of another parachute one night. Up inside the canopy, luckily I came out through the same lines!
A fellow who exited the opposite side door of the C130 got caught up in my rigging. It was a night jump and our first battalion ex after jump school. All the distraction led me to forget to release one side of the reserve, which led to me, upon landing, getting a free but clumsy nose job on it.

Last edited:

ABNredleg

War Hero
C-141's were nice in that all you had to do was walk out the door at a 45 degree angle, whereas in the 130 you had to jump up and out to clear the aircraft, something that was damn near impossible when carrying a full load.

C-141's were nice in that all you had to do was walk out the door at a 45 degree angle, whereas in the 130 you had to jump up and out to clear the aircraft, something that was damn near impossible when carrying a full load.
Yep, I used to laugh at the mortar guys “falling“ out the door.

One of those A400's just flew over my house at 1425 visible for about 15 sec as it dropped out of the low clouds heading NE. Heard the noise, much louder than the Dash 8's we used to get going in and out of Southampton, not on normal flight path so strange.. Was cloudy and only visible for short time.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting, and not doubting you by the way, as the C-141 and C-130 used the same fuselage sections.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

ABNredleg

War Hero

Latest Threads