A400M

Here are some figures from DIO:

C130 EGR Noise Assessment Technical Report

Figure 5.7 is a reasonable view - A400M is ~20% noisier than C-130.

View attachment 478577
What surprised me was that VC-10 was quieter in almost all respects.

Disclaimer: the report was produced by AMEC on behalf of DIO. I don't know if the figures have been re-assessed or validated since the introduction of A400M into service.
Was the microphone for the VC10 50 miles away? On takeoff at BZZ, it was incredibly noisy. I have no numbers, but the 4x Conways were anything but quiet. Quiet inside, with the rear-mounted engines, like DC-9s and derivatives, but insanely noisy as it took to the air.

Edited to add, looks like the above chart came from this document:

Figure 5.3 shows the takeoff noise levels. VC10 was indeed insanely noisy.

Last edited:
The last of the window-rattlers. Some of the J57 donked 135 variants are a bit cheeky too.

Was the microphone for the VC10 50 miles away? On takeoff at BZZ, it was incredibly noisy. I have no numbers, but the 4x Conways were anything but quiet. Quiet inside, with the rear-mounted engines, like DC-9s and derivatives, but insanely noisy as it took to the air.

Edited to add, looks like the above chart came from this document:

Figure 5.3 shows the takeoff noise levels. VC10 was indeed insanely noisy.
Having lived around Brize I found that the original VC 10.s weren't too bad. You got used to the noise. However the ones that they converted straight to Tankers seemed very noisy.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Living in Block 17 near the Sgts mess in mid 1980's when the VC 10 tankers took off it made the glass rattle in the windows and you couldn't hear the telly for a minute.
The present wife complains when I put the kettle on of an evening and she has to pause coronation street because of the noise...yep she doesn't know she's born.

arfah

LE
Talking of noise, Atlas C.1 just flew over Rochford, Essex.
You can’t help but look up to discover the cause of the annoyance.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Talking of noise, Atlas C.1 just flew over Rochford, Essex.
You can’t help but look up to discover the cause of the annoyance.
I'm at Gravesend and it flew over here first and it looked like it was coming back but it turned back to Essex clearly it must have seen all the foreigners and decided the proper English in Essex could have the pleasure of its company.

Having lived around Brize I found that the original VC 10.s weren't too bad. You got used to the noise. However the ones that they converted straight to Tankers seemed very noisy.
The C1 was fitted with the Super's Conway 550 engines, and didn't have to use as much pedal to get in the air...

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I'm at Southend and didn't hear a thing.

It was doing touch and go's at Southend airport before that it was doing the same at Gatwick and it then went up to Norwich for much of the same.
No commercial flights so lots of runways to choose from.

More info on the two-door certification

Notice the choice of music.... "Dies irae" from Mozart's requiem !

I was/am, surprised that although they leave the a/c from different sides, they then DEFINITELY merge onto ONE stream of people, immediately behind the aircraft.

Yes, as they then descend further they do diverge . . . but,

is thought given to alternating their exit out of each of the doors (much like the "teeth" on a zipper), so that they avoid colliding with each other behind the a/c ?!

Last edited:
I was/am, surprised that although they leave the a/c from different sides, they then DEFINITELY merge onto ONE stream of people, immediately behind the aircraft.

Yes, as they then descend further they do diverge . . . but,

is thought given to alternating their exit out of each of the doors (much like the "teeth" on a zipper), so that they avoid colliding with each other behind the a/c ?!
It happens with other large tactical transport aircrafts; you get it more from a C-130 than from a C-160 for example.

Hence the role of the dispatchers who need to pay attention to the way the exits of each doors are cadenced so as to avoid collisions under the plane between 2 paratroopers.

Living in Block 17 near the Sgts mess in mid 1980's when the VC 10 tankers took off it made the glass rattle in the windows and you couldn't hear the telly for a minute.
I was in 543 (conveniently opposite the Pig's Bar) and right next to the runway (mid 80s). The noise was biblical. Our kid dossed over one weekend and was WTF'd!

4(T)

LE
Noisy on landing too, especially back in the day before fuel economy when most aircraft still used reverse thrust.

I lived in Dar es Salaam as a kid. Expat families would often need to meet someone off the weekly BOAC VC-10 flight that came in via Nairobi.

As the flight was frequently delayed by hours ("dust storms over the Sudan", etc) no-one bothered to go to the airport at the scheduled time. Instead people'd just wait until they heard a thunderous crackling noise from the direction of the airport - which heralded the arrival of the VC-10.

The airport was about 8 km from where most expats lived, but the noise was still clearly discernable!

As stated that is the aim of the dispatchers but is - in my opinion - rarely achieved for the whole run. And that was with 31 lobbing each side! Another thought is that by 58 going out each side, the guys at each end have a bloody long way to walk to their respective RVs.

I was in 543 (conveniently opposite the Pig's Bar) and right next to the runway (mid 80s). The noise was biblical. Our kid dossed over one weekend and was WTF'd!
545 for me, at the runway end of the block. Just got used to it then I was posted to Leuchars to "enjoy" the sound of Avons and Speys.

The engine that was really loud was the Olympus 593 ( the black smoke version) as originally fitted to the Concorde prototypes. The noise was quite incredible as was the vibrations - Fairford was a noisy place with that bird around.

Latest Threads