A400M

the French spend so much time in British, Canadian and American C-17’s dans l’Afrique, they probably think they are FAF.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
I thought that ours wern't used for parachuting?
You are correct.

The UK C17 has a very limited PARA capability (free fall only I am led to believe). Certainly no static line, side door or ramp LLP cap, and definitely no resupply air drop cap.

Not sure what is meant by the phrase 'serious jumping' in connection with UK C17 or indeed any other UK ac.

PhotEx - Can you expand on when the FR 'once more' borrowed UK C17 for para role (or serious jumping)? Not a dig, serious question.

You are correct.

The UK C17 has a very limited PARA capability (free fall only I am led to believe). Certainly no static line, side door or ramp LLP cap, and definitely no resupply air drop cap.

Not sure what is meant by the phrase 'serious jumping' in connection with UK C17 or indeed any other UK ac.

PhotEx - Can you expand on when the FR 'once more' borrowed UK C17 for para role (or serious jumping)? Not a dig, serious question.
@PhotEx see above.

Ditto

Oh but of course, thecRAF bought special sub type of the C-17 that can’t be used for Jumps, and had its type clearance removed!

just because we currently don’t, don't mean it can’t.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
Oh but of course, thecRAF bought special sub type of the C-17 that can’t be used for Jumps, and had its type clearance removed!

just because we currently don’t, don't mean it can’t.
Not sure if your comment above was for me or not. I don't think anyone said that a UK C17 'can't' we are probably however all in agreement that the UK C17 currently doesn't.

Can you answer the politely posed question I asked you at post 3745 above? I wait with bated breath.

Not sure if there's ever been an occasion when French troops have parachuted into action courtesy of the RAF since WW2.
Exercises excluded.

Not sure if there's ever been an occasion when French troops have parachuted into action courtesy of the RAF since WW2.
Exercises excluded.
Into action l can confirm it has not happened since WW2.
As part of wing swapping exercices it has, as you know, happened a lot, including for officer cadets as part of their experience abroad activities.

A new certification for the Atlas
".....the Automatic Low Level Flights improves the A400M’s terrain masking and survivability, making the aircraft less detectable in hostile areas and less susceptible to threats when cruising towards key military operations"
The only way it will be less detectable is if the enemy are all deaf.

aardvark64

War Hero
C17 and Herc aren't exactly quiet either :)

".....the Automatic Low Level Flights improves the A400M’s terrain masking and survivability, making the aircraft less detectable in hostile areas and less susceptible to threats when cruising towards key military operations"
The only way it will be less detectable is if the enemy are all deaf.
War zones tend to be a bit noisy anyway, plus if the aircraft is effectively using terrain masking then noise alone won't identify it.

War zones tend to be a bit noisy anyway, plus if the aircraft is effectively using terrain masking then noise alone won't identify it.
the noise an A400 makes is something else - it’s epically loud.
it also has a particular loud harmonic from the props that carries for miles and is very distinctive.

The French General Directorate for Armaments (DGA) announces the 2 doors simultaneous exit of 116 paratroopers for 2021.

The new air drop capacity will allow, from 2021, the simultaneous drop in a single pass of 116 paratroopers, or 58 by each of the two side doors of the aircraft, a significant improvement in the operational capacity declared recently by the Air Force of 30 paratroopers through a side door.

Latest Threads