A400M

I've always assumed that there has long existed an actual blueprint for an EU armed forces, and that each member state has previously agreed some sort of building-block contribution...
I genuinely think that that is a flawed assumption. Beyond discussions of interoperability and some minor joint unit establishment (eg the Franco-German C-130 unit), any EU Force is entirely just a political debating topic.

Regards,
MM

Yeah but....

It seems any German warfighting equipment falls in the nice to have category, what exactly must they have and why?

If they dont want to drop any ordnance or shoot any bullets, why couldn't they be the NATO logistics company.
Germany's must haves in terms of equipment start with tanks and jet fighters. They are a continental power in Europe but not very large geographically, so their defence needs start with being able to resist the advance of an opposing army.

And a bit of A-400 mach loop action.
Cracking! No wonder the pilots like it.
Irvin jackets, polka dot scarf and a dashing moustache for A400 aircrew should be mandatory.
The latter is not necessary for those identifying themselves as female.

Does the unit come with a good heater?
I’d hope they’d stick it at the front of the cabin to avoid hypothermia being added to the patient’s problems!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
I’d hope they’d stick it at the front of the cabin to avoid hypothermia being added to the patient’s problems!

Regards,
MM
I had the dubious pleasure of flying back from r&r on an A400M back in February. I thought I was going to regret not having my softie to hand, but if anything the back was actually too warm.

Most surprised.

I had the dubious pleasure of flying back from r&r on an A400M back in February. I thought I was going to regret not having my softie to hand, but if anything the back was actually too warm.

Most surprised.
In fairness, I’ve only flown in one a couple of times but the temperature seems to vary widely; toasty up front but much cooler near the thermal curtain which blocks off the unheated tail ramp area.

Unfortunately, the curtain restricts cargo configuration. Without it, cold soak from the ramp means the cabin gets uncomfortably cold towards the rear.

Regards,
MM

I genuinely think that that is a flawed assumption. Beyond discussions of interoperability and some minor joint unit establishment (eg the Franco-German C-130 unit), any EU Force is entirely just a political debating topic.

Regards,
MM
I hesitate to challenge MM, but...

In 1993, as part of the Treaty of Maastricht, the EU and established a Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) pillar.

In 2009, the Treaty of Lisbon established a mutual defence clause and enabling a subset of member states to pursue defence integration... while an "EU Army" is not immediately on the horizon, it is not far off (IMHO)

(Wikipedia links, as the easiest reference)

Always happy to be challenged old chap!

I'm aware of all the various treaties and pillars within other treaties. However, in my experience very little tangible is in the offing other than European NATO nations occasionally trying to do the odd bit of activity in cooperation. However, little of that is achieved without the support of NATO and/or the US.

Where's the balanced capabilities to deploy, fight, sustain and recover? Virtually no heavy lift; virtually no AAR or ISR; virtualy no logs; virtually no compatible comms and J6; virtually no doctrine. And most certainly no plans to address the above. Germany has even been reticent to support Baltic Air Policing and other NATO assurance let alone doing anything tangible in a smaller, less credible coalition.

Frankly, it's not much more impressive to me than the AU's attempts at collective regional defence activity.

Regards,
MM

Always happy to be challenged old chap!

Frankly, it's not much more impressive to me than the AU's attempts at collective regional defence activity.
You are right that a stated intent is not being translated into action - especially when few (to be charitable) EU member states achieve the NATO minimum 2% of GDP spending.

But it still remains one of the central pillars of the EU...

Don't know where else to put this-In todays Express online-American committee blasts F-35 for having about 1000 known faults-a lot of them dangerous- Havent we just bought some of them?

Don't know where else to put this-In todays Express online-American committee blasts F-35 for having about 1000 known faults-a lot of them dangerous- Havent we just bought some of them?
Which is not entirely unusual for a modern aircraft at this stage of maturity.

It's a shame we don't have an F-35 thread. ;)

Regards,
MM

We do shaft ourselves sometimes.
Surely there must be a wartime exegency clause that says failure to provide 100% availability and we reserve the right to stick an A400 tanker up to meet demand?
If so , crew will need training , just in case y'know...