A2A South West - ARRSE Business Meet Up

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by Good CO, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Good idea and I'll go if possible

2. Good idea, but wouldn't go to one in the SW

3. I'll stay open minded and see what comes of the first

4. Get a grip man, you'll get two people, one walt, the local drunk and a stray dog called Nigel

0 vote(s)
  5. I hate the whole networking thing with a passion

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Lots of ex-servicemen start their own businesses and I'm often told that when they meet 'sparks fly'. OK, not exactly but you get bullshit free honest conversation, immediate common ground and good things can come out of it. Something I've experienced and absolutely agree with.

I've had a couple of conversations this week that have prompted me to propose the first ARRSE B2B event (to be known as A2A?). Call it what you will - networking event, piss-up, ARRSE social; most probably a combination of the three. Perhaps with a formal bit - a speaker, or perhaps just a room in a pub and a meal. Informally "The List" have offered to contribute to the organisation / money behind the bar.

Venue will probably be Exeter. If this one is a success others are likely to follow elsewhere of course.

I'm sure more polls will follow, especially regarding the date, but what say ye?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Given the proximity to Plymouth and Lympstone, you will of course need to wear a dress.

More seriously, if we get good support here, I'll propose the same on Rum Ration so hopefully we'll get the Navy involved.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Bump - or I give up :)
  4. Don't give up, it's still the weekend, and anyone in the region with any sense is making the most of the weather.
  5. It's a great idea Good! and you are right, when former Squaddies get together many a business idea will surface. Most of us involved in the ExPat style 6 month contract here 4 month contract there, end up as Entrepreneurs of some sort, military people/former military are risk takers to an extent due to the nature of their service careers and some remarkable business ideas can be thought of although most tend to be forgotten and have become a blur by the end of the get together/piss-up so make sure you appoint shark-watch (not in the traditional role of the shark-watch this time but a nominated bod who can take notes & remain sober-ish!) to jot everything down.

The unfortunate side effect of this is you will no doubt HAVE to have several further Piss-#$! I mean 'business meetings' to follow up various ideas, these invariably end up becoming a weekly tradition! as is the case with "Jonathan Smiles" - we now HAVE to meet up once a week for our own Happy Hour to gather enough material for the follow up "Pull Up Another Sandbag" 8O

I wish you the very best with this, for other ARRSER's who may be leaving the Services or have left the Services, these type of meets can lead to many good things, or at the very least will get you time away from the other half & a few Ales consumed 8)

Nice One Good!

Good Luck...

Edited to Add: You're obviously not an Argyle Fan as it would never have been Exeter on principal! I hope you get several people taking you up on the offer, I would come along if I were in the U.K. as I know the power of ex Squaddies when they get their collective money business heads together, even the tiniest ideas that someone may feel embarrassed to bring forth can turn out to be Gold Mines! infact, I know of a stretch of river in the States right now up for sale for $50k, it is close to a former Gold Mine and has had over 1000 Ozs of Gold dredged in the past 20 years just by the family who own it on the odd weekend!
  6. I like the idea but too far to travel pour moi.
  7. Yes, interested too, tho the travel may be too far. However, given enough notice and proximity to an airport something could be arranged.
  8. As a STAB/ SWAT (whatever) I already have a business in West Cornwall and a fair bit of experience at various levels. I'd be happy/ interested to go along if time/ dates ok. Great idea! :D
  9. GCO, cracking idea but I think a poll along the lines of 'If interested, which area would you travel to?' (and then list a spread of population centres) might produce a more meaningful prediction of success. It would at least reveal where the concentrations are.
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for the positive feedback.

The trial one will be in the south west, hence no poll for this yet. Step by step!
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Looks like a viable project - I already have a few people lined up and I'm sure we'll get some more from Rum Ration. I'll start a 'when' poll
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Anyone like to propose a date? Start of August?
  13. Count me in
  14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK, I'll start the bidding then:

Thursday 23 July?
  15. Sorry can't do that day I'm away and most of July/August is either busy or on leave. I can manage anywhere between the 17-21 Aug though, Gunner REMF can also make around then.