A2 rifles for the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by soldier soldier, Jun 16, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When will TA units get the A2 rifles? My unit is still waiting....though my issued A1 rifle works fine.. it would be nice to have the A2!
  2. My unit only got Soldier 95's in 2000! i think you've got a long wait! A2's are not needed in the TA at the present time. Regs will get them first, im sure some reg units are still using A1's, then TA in order of importance i should think. Combat arms first and such like.

A1's are fine for the jolly jaunt over an excercise area, mine never actually leaves the Veh!

3. I have never had a prob with my rifle.. just when I was up in Catterick a month back, it opened my eyes as to how bad some of the A1 rifles can be!

Some of the firing pins must of been made out of plastic!
  4. Both SQN`s (666 and 658) at 7 Regt AAC (V) got the A2 about 18 months ago… something to be being part of JHC. Shame cos they only come out once a year for ITD`s.... 8O
  5. If you need the A2 ( eg. Basra ) you will get it.
  6. SLR and SA80A1 were issued in order of priority of user:

Infantry Regular
    Infantry TA
    Combat Arms Reg
    Combat Arms TA
    Support Arms Reg
    Support Arms TA

The A2 has to be issued to all those on ops (half the firm!) first. The remainder should be issued in the precedence set out above.
  7. Look on the bright side, if the QLR TA had been issued them quickly Piers Moron might still have a job.
  8. I got issued my A2 at my TA unit about a month after I was mobilised to a unit where I have no need of a weapon but have been issued with a pistol (my alternative weapon). I did the CMCQ a while back on the A2 and although it is a little heavier it was sooooooooooo much more reliable - I had absolutely no stoppages whatsover (a constant headache on the A1, although most of them were magazine related).
  9. heard a rumour that it would be 06 when we get a2 and minimi and ubgl
    and prr . But then when i joined in 87 was told not worriy about learning clansman cos they going to be replaced next year :lol:
  10. Would it be so bad if we were to choose to buy Yank M series rifles for our troops?
  11. Yes, the M-16A2/3 considerably less reliable, more expensive, more unwieldy and actually slightly heavier.

Both are Stoner rifles (Eugene Stoner being the inventor of the weapons system). The Rifle started as a bullpup version of the AR-18, a licence built M-16 variant, and the A2 upgrade sees it get higher quality parts than its American equivalent.

SAS used it because it was better in the jungle than an SLR, but I understand they now use iron sight A2, if that's what they're using that is....

Some TA units already have the A2, certainly the TA units of UKSF, elements of 11 (ARRC) signals bde etc. have.

12. It would appear that a number of the TA units within London District have them already but don't know how widespread that is. I can see the point of the Infantry having them ahead of other units but what would a FANY need one for?
  13. I was on a training area last year where special forces alledgly train
    saw a bunch of guys who were doing contact drillls all had a2with iron sights
    and the ugl guess they were some sort of sneaky beaky unit .
    But the sneaky beaky types in basra all had mp5 and m16/230 and minimi and some other fire arms which i didnt recognise so who knows
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Be careful oh oracle of all things A2, you are wrong in at least two points. And I suspect two more.
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I'd have said at least five points there :lol: