A10 firendly fire again!

Yet another needless waste of life.

Maybe today isn't the day to sound off about the ineptness of the Aircrew involved

Condolencies to the families

another sad day

It seems that the USA have NO ALLIES only TARGETS .
Their identification for all things seems to be sadly lacking, perhaps if they were trained better in 'ID' it would help. :mad: :mad:
Codolences to the families involved.

I think it's time to restart the IFF post again.

Way back last year, Arrse members made a lot of fuss about the implementation of IFF kit being installed on all the "good guys" assets.

Wasn't there a commons statement to the fact that friendly fire wouldn't ever happen again because IFF was being fitted?

Good call Oggy. Was thinking of doing that after Donuts post in current affairs.

Ok, it's restored.......

I just saw Channel 4 news and John Snow intervied the Defence Minister regarding this.  The tosser of a minister was dismissive and criticised the poor Trooper for being intervied to early (what think he meant was before MOD could tell him what to say).

John Snow was first class, he made to Minister look like an idiot, especaially when he asked why we have more casualties from the US than the Yanks.

Why are we so scared of speaking out on this!! :mad: :mad:

It would seem that the only thing this so called Pilot is capable of flying safely is a Damn Desk.

Send him back to paperwork shuffling where he no doubt came from.

AFTER 2 Straffing runs, Coalition Chevrons, Red Smoke and a Union Flag, the pilot still didn't recognise that the Vehicles were british. I Thought you couldn't fly if you had Impaired Vision

PEENARRSE

Thoughts & Prayers to those involved in this tragic event. Respect to All

AFTER 2 Straffing runs, Coalition Chevrons, Red Smoke and a Union Flag, the pilot still didn't recognise that the Vehicles were british. I Thought you couldn't fly if you had Impaired Vision
Have you logged on to U.S websites - full of apologies for 'blue on blue'?   They don't understand why we're angry.

Cheers,

Ron.

My deepest condolences to the families. I honestly hope my flyboy brothers are held accountable. From the facts I've seen, I can't understand how this moron would fire. For God's sake not fire twice.

We all like to think we know our job and do it well, I hope this man stands up and takes what he has coming.

Again my condolences to the families and friends, Frat sucks always.

An American Soldier

11B3VB4, if you are indeed an American soldier, how would you respond to the allegation that American military are trigger happy? I'm not going to bring in the killing of the 7 Iraqi women and children at the checkpoint, because that has only just happenend, and I'm still digesting the news.

But your pilots seem to have a few problems reading their equipment, don't they?!

11B3VB4: I'll agree that for any US serviceman to show his head here takes balls, and I salute you for taking the time to pen kind sentiments.

You will find that feelings are running high on the issue, don't take it personally if someone vents, it wasn't your fault, but the lads will have their say, let off steam, and then no doubt offer to buy you a beer in the mess if you are ever around our way.

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
While still furious with the pilot, and to a lesser extent the American forces as a whole, thanks 11B3VB4.

Did anyone see the ITN news yesterday where the newsreader (I cant remember who exactly) mispronounced Pilot as Pillock?

When I was at MacDill AFB in 1977, the A-10 was just entering USAF squadron service. From time to time I would sup a small beverage at the O-club with my hosts from the 56th TFW and the only thing that ever seemed to scare the bravado out of those boys was the possibility of an assignment to an A-10 squadron. I wonder if the thought of flying the Warthog had such a bad effect on pilot-retention that the air-farce brass shifted most of the ugly beasts out to the weekend warriors of the ANG? I also wonder if there is a streaming policy whereby the top students in pilot training get the hot jets like the F-15 and the duffers get the A-10?

Personally, I reckon the answer can be found in the Bush Doctrine – we reserve the right to a pre-emptive strike. Anyone know where they’re based?

Sincere condolences to the familes all involved

11B3VB4, if you are indeed an American soldier
I am that, I normally stay on www.military.com with my fellow soldiers. But this link was posted and I felt I should express my sympathies. My screen name is the same on mil.com and you can ask anyone about me. I have also provided a link to my simple web page if that would provide you any additional information.

how would you respond to the allegation that American military are trigger happy?
I can't... I wasn't there and the reports are sketchy. From what I have read it sounds like the pilot made a serious error in judgment, if not criminal error. I don't think all pilots are hotshots, but I don't know that many pilots to form an accurate judgment of them as a whole.

As for the checkpoint incident, I'll back the soldiers. I know the ROE they use and the procedures they follow. From what I have heard they did as they were instructed to do. The loss of life is tragic, but this incident seems at this point to have been unavoidable.

Yes mate, if you are what you say you are, it took a pair of balls to come on here and post something like that.
I am expressing the sadness and frustration with this incident, any screw up by any military irritates me to no extent. Stupid mistakes (as this appears to be) make it that much worse. I'm not here to explain the incident, as I was not a flyer. But apologies should have been forwarded immediately regardless of the situation.

Is that the common feeling amongst your men or are they as blasé as usual.
I can't speak for others, myself I've become a bit cold over the years. Not many things do I feel require apologies, as it is war. This thought, is an instance when it should have been immediate and heart felt.

I know I can't say anything to change the feelings here, I would not dream of trying. I served for 12 years as an Infantryman; I know the groundside of war not the flying. I will not say I have the utmost respect for our pilots, incidents happen more often than they should. I can't explain why, and I won't excuse it.

I can only say I have seen it before, and more than once. In both war and peacetime training, the Air Force has a serious problem and it needs to be fixed. I have had a 500lb (practice) bomb land within 100' of my men and me. We didn't know it was a practice bomb until it had impacted, I know they make dumb mistakes!

I can only hope that those responsible stand up and accept what they have coming. I consider very few countries trustworthy, England being at the top of the list. I would hate to have an event like this, create mistrust between our soldiers. Thought I can't think of what else it could create. I know I watch every aircraft in my AO, just out of experiences. I don't trust fliers; they are too removed from their killing.

My sympathies to the men, their families and friends, as well as your entire nation and service force. This wasn't meant as a ballsy move, but rather one of humility and brotherhood.

11B3VB4: I'll agree that for any US serviceman to show his head here takes balls, and I salute you for taking the time to pen kind sentiments.

You will find that feelings are running high on the issue, don't take it personally.
It is the English that deserve the salute, you all are true allies regardless of our differences.  But thanks for the kind words, I'll keep your words in mind as we proceed.

Kind and sincere words

Thanks mate

donut