A1 / OPMI1 / SQ1 - All names.. but whats the craic?

#1
A discussion banded around the office today:

So it seems that some months ago, to be qualified for promotion to Sgt, you needed to have completed an SQ1, be it in CI, OpInt, the UKIAC, long lang course, "THE" Course or things beginning with Q. One of them plus the OPMI 1 forum and the SNCO Cadre (D&D2?) means as far as the Corps is concerned, you've ticked all the boxes. All that's left to do it the SNCO CLM and you're good to go. (?)

Now.. duty rumour and the like has confused this issue. I have seen people go through Chicksands on both the CI AND OpInt SQ1's when they are already language qualified or are followers of St AHO. Then we hear that to be qualified now, you have to have done everything. Clearly not ALL of them, but the CI, Opint and the D&D before you are qualified. Then we hear that the forum has been binned (confirmed that the next forum got canned). Then a new forum is to be trawled for in April. (??) Also we hear that instead of what happened previously with the forum being the part that gives you the pay increment, seems the rumour is that it's the D&D now?!! Is this true?

Finally, instead of before with people that have been preselcted for promotion taking priority on said courses so that they couldbe promoted in the promotion year following their preselection, seems that now there is talk of people having to be FULLY qualified before even being boarded?!

Clearly this has led to a great deal of confusion for both those soldiers looking at getting on these courses as well as their respective CoCs.

Can anyone here, (*looks at NTTT and others in positions on knowledge*) shed any light on this at all? Even a PM with the official line would be immensely useful to help inform.

Ta.
 
#2
I wouldn't worry Davros, it'll be years before you have to worry about doing your CLM and SNCOs cadre! :lol:
 
#3
I am not 100% sure of all the answers to your questions (which is bad considering that I work in one of the wings at chicksands providing some of this training) but in Northern Ireland we were given a brief that stated you had to have 2 SQ's, d&d and CLM to get your sub Sgt. Don't know if this is of any use to you.
 
#5
Davros_the_Dalek said:
A discussion banded around the office today:

So it seems that some months ago, to be qualified for promotion to Sgt, you needed to have completed an SQ1, be it in CI, OpInt, the UKIAC, long lang course, "THE" Course or things beginning with Q. One of them plus the OPMI 1 forum and the SNCO Cadre (D&D2?) means as far as the Corps is concerned, you've ticked all the boxes. All that's left to do it the SNCO CLM and you're good to go. (?)

Now.. duty rumour and the like has confused this issue. I have seen people go through Chicksands on both the CI AND OpInt SQ1's when they are already language qualified or are followers of St AHO. Then we hear that to be qualified now, you have to have done everything. Clearly not ALL of them, but the CI, Opint and the D&D before you are qualified. Then we hear that the forum has been binned (confirmed that the next forum got canned). Then a new forum is to be trawled for in April. (??) Also we hear that instead of what happened previously with the forum being the part that gives you the pay increment, seems the rumour is that it's the D&D now?!! Is this true?

Finally, instead of before with people that have been preselcted for promotion taking priority on said courses so that they couldbe promoted in the promotion year following their preselection, seems that now there is talk of people having to be FULLY qualified before even being boarded?!

Clearly this has led to a great deal of confusion for both those soldiers looking at getting on these courses as well as their respective CoCs.

Can anyone here, (*looks at NTTT and others in positions on knowledge*) shed any light on this at all? Even a PM with the official line would be immensely useful to help inform.

Ta.
I am pretty sure that OPMI 2 has been binned - I'll ring NTTT tomorrow and wake her up if she hasn't replied tomorrow!
 
#6
MrsRaven said:
Davros_the_Dalek said:
A discussion banded around the office today:

So it seems that some months ago, to be qualified for promotion to Sgt, you needed to have completed an SQ1, be it in CI, OpInt, the UKIAC, long lang course, "THE" Course or things beginning with Q. One of them plus the OPMI 1 forum and the SNCO Cadre (D&D2?) means as far as the Corps is concerned, you've ticked all the boxes. All that's left to do it the SNCO CLM and you're good to go. (?)

Now.. duty rumour and the like has confused this issue. I have seen people go through Chicksands on both the CI AND OpInt SQ1's when they are already language qualified or are followers of St AHO. Then we hear that to be qualified now, you have to have done everything. Clearly not ALL of them, but the CI, Opint and the D&D before you are qualified. Then we hear that the forum has been binned (confirmed that the next forum got canned). Then a new forum is to be trawled for in April. (??) Also we hear that instead of what happened previously with the forum being the part that gives you the pay increment, seems the rumour is that it's the D&D now?!! Is this true?

Finally, instead of before with people that have been preselcted for promotion taking priority on said courses so that they couldbe promoted in the promotion year following their preselection, seems that now there is talk of people having to be FULLY qualified before even being boarded?!

Clearly this has led to a great deal of confusion for both those soldiers looking at getting on these courses as well as their respective CoCs.

Can anyone here, (*looks at NTTT and others in positions on knowledge*) shed any light on this at all? Even a PM with the official line would be immensely useful to help inform.

Ta.
I am pretty sure that OPMI 2 has been binned - I'll ring NTTT tomorrow and wake her up if she hasn't replied tomorrow!
The OPMI 2 has been binned and replaced with a work book, which on completion gives the soldier the class 2 qual. Further details on request!
 
#7
Fully aware of the OPMI 2 thing.. this is the OPMI 1 I'm asking about! :D
 
#10
Davros_the_Dalek said:
Then we hear that the forum has been binned (confirmed that the next forum got canned). Then a new forum is to be trawled for in April. (??)
NTT, any comment on this bit from the font of knowledge?
 
#11
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Davros_the_Dalek said:
Then we hear that the forum has been binned (confirmed that the next forum got canned). Then a new forum is to be trawled for in April. (??)
NTT, any comment on this bit from the font of knowledge?
CR,
I am sure Davros is correct, Forum suspended UFN.
SP
 
#14
I can think of at least one Mason that didnt happen to.
 
#16
Davros,

Currently policy still states that you can be unqualified and yet selected for promotion. My understanding is that trying to get on any CLM course without a promotion selection is nigh on impossible.

So come off the board then spend the next 12 months desperately trying to fit in courses like the rest of the Corps does.

You're too sproggy to worry about your third anyway!
 
#17
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Davros,

Currently policy still states that you can be unqualified and yet selected for promotion. My understanding is that trying to get on any CLM course without a promotion selection is nigh on impossible.

So come off the board then spend the next 12 months desperately trying to fit in courses like the rest of the Corps does.

You're too sproggy to worry about your third anyway!
go to northern ireland, they always have spare spaces. even i managed to get my WO CLM done over a year ago - and that's clearly something i'll never need :)
 
#18
Anything on this yet NTTT? :)
 
#19
Op_Int_and_Spy said:
Davros,

Currently policy still states that you can be unqualified and yet selected for promotion. My understanding is that trying to get on any CLM course without a promotion selection is nigh on impossible.

So come off the board then spend the next 12 months desperately trying to fit in courses like the rest of the Corps does.

You're too sproggy to worry about your third anyway!
Unless you find a corrupt AEC ---- :threaten:
 
#20
It is possible to get on both the CLM AEC and Arms and Services Directorate (A&SD) Components without being preselected or holding acting rank, but it is more difficult and relies on correct bidding procedures and, to be honest, efficient administration on the part of the training establishment and flexibility on the part of the working units.

A lot of the A&SD Component courses (SNCO Cadre and OPMI Mgrs' Cses) are not loaded to capacity due to the fact that the courses are loaded by MCM Div, and frequently the people who are "due" the course may not be available due to deployments, medical category, etc. You can then get relatively junior soldiers on courses, sometimes quite early in their careers.

So say, for example, that you had a sub Cpl with 1 year's seniority who may be in the frame for promotion in two years' time, you could get the person on the SNCO course to fill a vacancy now, so that when he is eventually preselected he will already be qualified.

This keeps the individual aware of his career potential, keeps them focused, and you get a more motivated soldier back from the course. It also gives you a bit more to write on the individual in terms of CR content. Also, if they do well, a good report from a promotion course will gain them a few more points on the board. It's a matter of judgement though, just ensure that you do not send someone who is immature or unlikely to perform to a satisfactory level, as you will not be doing anyone any favours. Common sense really. Ultimately, liaison is the key. Ensure that you are not stepping on anyone's toes, and make sure that you have the right person to fill the vacancy. It's easier to run courses that are fully loaded than ones that are under strength, and ultimately you could be giving some of your guys an advantage.

With the AEC Component it is slightly more complicated, but also possible to get your guys on the course. On the bidding proforma for JNCO, SNCO, and WOCLM, there is a priority indicator. Remember that these courses are bid by units and not MCM Div, and that the bidding unit prioritises on the basis of:

Sub rank and date
Acting rank and date
Other criteria (dependent upon the level of CLM course)

The individual's priority is then established and goes to the relevant AEC. If the other units served by the AEC do not have sufficient candidates to fill the course (due to Operational reasons, or late cancellations) it may be possible to get relatively junior people on the course. Again, liaison is the key, also to make the individual available to move at short notice - sometimes on the first day of the course.

That's how CR managed to get on his WOCLM in all probability.
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top