Well, Adelaide has recently opened as the most expensive building in Oz. Driving past it last month it all looked very impressive however, I believe the parking is horrendous.

Royal Adelaide Hospital - Wikipedia
Not just the parking. There is a list of problems as long as your arm theatres are too small hospital not big enough ambulances already ramping and the food is inedible looks nice though

We both quite like the look of Adelaide, they seem to have a lot of job cuts looming for the pathology service though.
Outside the square mile that is the city centre CBD, which is surrounded by parkland, the remainder of the city is remarkably low-rise, with few buildings over 2-storeys high. It retains the 'big country town' feel that Brisbane lost after 1988, and still manages a pretty vibrant art and entertainment scene. On Emirates, it's only a one-stop (Dubai) flight from the UK.

Last edited:
Outside the square mile that is the city centre CBD, which is surrounded by parkland, the remainder of the city is remarkably low-rise, with few buildings over 2-storeys high. It retains the 'big country town' feel that Brisbane lost after 1988, and still manages a pretty vibrant art and entertainment scene. On Emirates, it's only a one-stop (Dubai) flight from the UK.
Outside the city centre, beachside ( and winery areas) its a dive.
Housing might seem cheap but you could end up in Boganville.
Avoid unless desperate.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Adelaide is long & thin and fairly low density outside the cbd. Metropolitan Adelaide is bounded by the sea to the west, hills to the east so it has grown along the north south corridor. Current policy is to not increase the footprint but to infill and increase the density. Government are finally spending serious money on transport links north to south. Again policy by both parties is to push defence industries and education. There is submarine corp at Port Adelaide, new French designed subs to be built there as well as air warfare frigates. Big Air Force base at Elizabeth where maritime search aircraft based also recently moved an infantry division down from Darwin just in case the Russians stack via Antarctica. Also large artillery testing range out by Port Wakefield
Mad march is when festival fringe car race etc take place wether usually excellent sunny warm days cool evenings, similar weather October and November. January, February and March usually stinking hot.
Downsides SA a bit of a financial basket case Holden & Mitsubishi both gone lots of mining wealth up north but not fully exploited yet again union power slowing down investment. State civil service the largest per capita on .Aus but very moribund and inefficient, no forced redundancies and state governments frightened to take them on. There is however Barossa valley, Clare valley mclaren vale and coopers beer

You’re far better off than most migrants; there are big hospitals in most regional centres. There’s big investment going in to regional hospital infrastructure.

No way should you look only at capital cities.
Wollongong and Shoalhaven area south of Sydney worth looking at. Can also commute by train from the 'Gong to Sydney for work.

Had a look at places in our budget in Adelaide and we can get something pretty decent around Hallett cove near enough on the beach. Heard it's called Little Britain by the locals though.
I can’t see the attraction of Adelaide or SA. Way too far south and isolated from the wealth creating bits of Oz. Sure, the wineries in the Maclerem and Clare are nice but how many times can you go there without getting bored? The beaches may be scenic but they face the Southern Ocean. It’s a bit like moving to the Falklands for the beach life....

There’s a reason why services are being cut; SA is broke. The worst of Aussie state government and no vibrant economy to pull them out.

Doubt that. It isn’t baby boomers who are pushing prices up now; Gen X and Y are the generations that have participated in the property bubble.

I think it will burst sooner. Debt levels amongst 30-50s are stratospheric. And so much of it has been remortgaged debt secured against property inflation.

It’s a sobering thought that 90% of Australian debt is either domestic mortgage or government debt. Which is why it’s so difficult to raise debt finance for business.

Truth is Australia isn’t creating anywhere near enough productive businesses and it has a horrific failure rate for startups.
Spot on. Household debt level eye watering yet everyone drifts around in a haze of "she'll be right mate" and take on more debt! Not known a proper recession etc
I'm getting my deckchair, popcorn (and cash) ready for the credit crunch!

Spot on. Household debt level eye watering yet everyone drifts around in a haze of "she'll be right mate" and take on more debt! Not known a proper recession etc
I'm getting my deckchair, popcorn (and cash) ready for the credit crunch!

Me too. We’re out of the Aus property market at the moment; we just don’t see the value justifies the price here on the Central Coast. There is a recession coming and this part of NSW didn’t experience one in 2008; people are massively over extended.

We’ve just rented a house that was recently purchased as an investment property for $1.3M. The landlord is getting a gross yield of about -5% before rates, repairs etc. Pretty typical of the market round here.

Big Air Force base at Elizabeth where maritime search aircraft based also recently moved an infantry division down from Darwin just in case the Russians stack via Antarctica.
The airbase is at Edinburgh (close to Elizabeth) and the move of army units onto additional real estate there is a Brigade rather than a Division; relocating from the Northern Territory as they're haemorrhaging troops at an alarming rate due to the poor conditions for families in the Top End.

The airbase is at Edinburgh (close to Elizabeth) and the move of army units onto additional real estate there is a Brigade rather than a Division; relocating from the Northern Territory as they're haemorrhaging troops at an alarming rate due to the poor conditions for families in the Top End.
Not so IMHO. Relocation of two major units due to armour/ mech trg areas and support facilities in SA. Bde Main still in DWN. Some families love the NT and other don't pretty much the same anywhere (less Brizvegas!). Also rotational US marines in Darwin utilising facilities freed up by relocation as a by-product.

I can’t see the attraction of Adelaide or SA. Way too far south and isolated from the wealth creating bits of Oz. Sure, the wineries in the Maclerem and Clare are nice but how many times can you go there without getting bored? The beaches may be scenic but they face the Southern Ocean. It’s a bit like moving to the Falklands for the beach life....

There’s a reason why services are being cut; SA is broke. The worst of Aussie state government and no vibrant economy to pull them out.
Are the beaches around there cold and windy? Never been to that part of Oz.

Not so IMHO. Relocation of two major units due to armour/ mech trg areas and support facilities in SA. Bde Main still in DWN. Some families love the NT and other don't pretty much the same anywhere (less Brizvegas!). Also rotational US marines in Darwin utilising facilities freed up by relocation as a by-product.

Ok, but not what I'm hearing from Australian Army colleagues here (well away from NT) .

So in summary. Perth too isolated, Adelaide crap, Mel/Syd too expensive.

Bugger, NZ it is then lol

North Island - full of alcohol-fuelled Polynesian gangs.

South Island - weather like northern Scotland.

I'll take my chances with South Australia! At least the food is great, you can get Cooper's on tap, and the wineries are plentiful and close.

Perth’s isolation isn’t a big issue. My OH hrew up there; all her familly are there and love it.

But why ignore regional cities like the the Illawarra, Central Coast, Newcastle, Coffs, Sunshine Coast or even the top or bottom of the Gold Coast?

It's because there's a Labor Government in the NT rather than living conditions In Darwin.

Latest Threads