That's what I'm after, being able to spend time outdoors with the boy rather than sat in the house watching the rain pissing off the window.

We both have decent jobs that would pay pretty well in Australia but we still can't afford anything near a beach in Sydney/Melbourne hence wanting to look at Perth or Adelaide.
Forget Sydney or Melbourne. You’ll end up two hours from a beach and when you eventually get there you’ll find it rammed with tourists. I really dislike Perth; endless souleess suburbs of pretentious big houses, windy beaches and no hinterland worth visiting. I’ve never been to Adelaide.

If you can get work places like Coffs and Port Macquarie are great; far enough north to be sub tropical without Queensland’s heat. For a city, Newcastle attracts me; it’s got the same sort of vibe that Sydney has when I first lived there 25 years ago, before half of Asia was invited in.

"cramming Australia full of people"

The NIMBY nature of the whingers today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The government has buggered up the windfall from the WA mining boom. Housing is the only thing they've got going at the moment.

When they're bringing in 457 foreigners under the guise of "skills shortages" but then laying off Australians doing jobs like truck driving and using 457's instead, it just ain't right. The only reason to do so is to keep wages down and keep housing demand high.

I'm in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. I've seen the explosive growth in this area over the last 30 years. They're putting up suburbs pretty much all the way to the State Forests, with very little infrastructure to support these people. The bulk of what they have built is only for channeling people back and forth from Parramatta and the CBD.

Near my place, they've gone and built two major shipping facilitates. However, they haven't upgraded the road that these terminals are on. It's a single lane road at 80KM/h with a link to the major motorway. There has been a marked increase of fatalities on this road since they started building all this.

I'd have no problem with this if they did it properly, and planned and built infrastructure while they were building houses. I'd also love it if they put stuff like a decent museum out here, but look at the shitfight caused by planning to move the Powerhouse Museum out to Parramatta.

I want to quit my job badly and get out of the area, but I can't afford it. I'm thinking of selling everything I own to get some money to get out town.

Last edited:
^ this. If you're well off compared to most of the pop of that country, you will be fine. The U.S. has easily more imbalance than Oz in that respect.
Yeah, but the US has a lot more habitable area and a lot more cheap housing.

My mum is addicted to those bloody US home finder shows. Having to listen to some couple talking about if the six bedroom house with one acre of land is worth it at $350,000 compared to a 4 bedroom house with two acres really gets my goat.

Last edited:
That's what I'm after, being able to spend time outdoors with the boy rather than sat in the house watching the rain pissing off the window.

We both have decent jobs that would pay pretty well in Australia but we still can't afford anything near a beach in Sydney/Melbourne hence wanting to look at Perth or Adelaide.
Adelaide still reasonably affordable if you do not want to be right on the beach. There are places to avoid Elizabeth, parts of Salisbury, Hackham just don't rush into it.. Lots of poms in Adelaide ,just remember they only play & recognize AFL in South Australia but if you get actively involved in your kids sport / recreation you will be busy & integrate easily. Both my kids did surf life saving as nippers & still involved as adults. Plenty of opportunities if you look for them.

It'll happen as the baby boomers die off and cease to be an electoral cohort that the politicians have to pander to.
Less of the baby boomers dying off. I plan to cost the government shed loads in my retirement whenever that will be, drinking being thoroughly obnoxious, swamping everyone's best furniture etc.

It'll happen as the baby boomers die off and cease to be an electoral cohort that the politicians have to pander to.
Doubt that. It isn’t baby boomers who are pushing prices up now; Gen X and Y are the generations that have participated in the property bubble.

I think it will burst sooner. Debt levels amongst 30-50s are stratospheric. And so much of it has been remortgaged debt secured against property inflation.

It’s a sobering thought that 90% of Australian debt is either domestic mortgage or government debt. Which is why it’s so difficult to raise debt finance for business.

Truth is Australia isn’t creating anywhere near enough productive businesses and it has a horrific failure rate for startups.

Yeah, but the US has a lot more habitable area and a lot more cheap housing.

My mum is addicted to those bloody US home finder shows. Having to listen to some couple talking about if the six bedroom house with one acre of land is worth it at $350,000 compared to a 4 bedroom house with two acres really gets my goat.
Ask your mom to switch to UK house shows...that will give her some perspective about how expensive housing is in the old country. Will calm her down a bit.

Truth is Australia isn’t creating anywhere near enough productive businesses and it has a horrific failure rate for startups.
There is a slight chance that I might be in/around Syd/Mel for a couple of years if I take this new job at a startup in the UK. They are planning on expanding into APAC region with offices in Singapore and somewhere in OZ.

Adelaide still reasonably affordable if you do not want to be right on the beach. There are places to avoid Elizabeth, parts of Salisbury, Hackham just don't rush into it.. Lots of poms in Adelaide ,just remember they only play & recognize AFL in South Australia but if you get actively involved in your kids sport / recreation you will be busy & integrate easily. Both my kids did surf life saving as nippers & still involved as adults. Plenty of opportunities if you look for them.
Had a look at places in our budget in Adelaide and we can get something pretty decent around Hallett cove near enough on the beach. Heard it's called Little Britain by the locals though.

Forget Sydney or Melbourne. You’ll end up two hours from a beach and when you eventually get there you’ll find it rammed with tourists. I really dislike Perth; endless souleess suburbs of pretentious big houses, windy beaches and no hinterland worth visiting. I’ve never been to Adelaide.

If you can get work places like Coffs and Port Macquarie are great; far enough north to be sub tropical without Queensland’s heat. For a city, Newcastle attracts me; it’s got the same sort of vibe that Sydney has when I first lived there 25 years ago, before half of Asia was invited in.
unfortunately, unless I go for a complete change of career I'm stuck with the bigger cities, need to be close to major hospitals.

Had a look at places in our budget in Adelaide and we can get something pretty decent around Hallett cove near enough on the beach. Heard it's called Little Britain by the locals though.
Heard there are a lot of poms in Perth? I mean they are everywhere in OZ but..

Also, direct LON - PER flight.

The main problem with SA is the lack of an economy. Find a decent paying job first and then work out where you can afford to live.

The main problem with SA is the lack of an economy. Find a decent paying job first and then work out where you can afford to live.
Shouldn't be too hard, it's sort of government work. Good news is the Mrs would earn a ton out there so I can always doss about in my **** chariot until something comes up.

unfortunately, unless I go for a complete change of career I'm stuck with the bigger cities, need to be close to major hospitals.
You’re far better off than most migrants; there are big hospitals in most regional centres. There’s big investment going in to regional hospital infrastructure.

No way should you look only at capital cities.

You’re far better off than most migrants; there are big hospitals in most regional centres. There’s big investment going in to regional hospital infrastructure.

No way should you look only at capital cities.
That's actually really encouraging, thanks.

Well, Adelaide has recently opened as the most expensive building in Oz. Driving past it last month it all looked very impressive however, I believe the parking is horrendous.

Royal Adelaide Hospital - Wikipedia

Heard there are a lot of poms in Perth? I mean they are everywhere in OZ but..

Also, direct LON - PER flight.
The end of the mining boom has apparently hit Perth, and Western Australia in general, pretty hard. Perth's biggest problem is that it's a long way fro anywhere if you're keen to get out of the SW corner of the state.

Latest Threads