The statistic you quoted would highly likely very easily apply in any country in the world.
True, but I read somewhere that there isn't a single Federal Government MP earning less that $1 million a year from their investments. Most of which involves housing. For them, having a high demand for housing has them laughing all the way to the bank.

Houses of Parliament: Politicians own an estimated $370m of property

Add to that the rather generous perks they get as politicians, and they have it rather comfortable.

Eye-watering extent of pollies’ perks

Then they wonder why there is such an uproar when they try and impart their "wisdom" to us plebs

Coalition MP tasked with housing affordability says 'highly paid job' is 'first step' to home ownership

Joe Hockey's advice to first homebuyers - get a good job that pays good money

With every online company suffering data breaches left, right and centre at the moment, this idiot brings in laws to weaken what security is available.

I've been following the discussions on the Australia Network Operators (The smart people who keep the internet in Australia running). The basic gist of it is that this law is extremely vague and open to abuse (like every other law of its kind brought in. Look at the American surveillence laws for examples).
Some interesting comments here from my chums on HN.

Australia pushes for spyware on phones | Hacker News

Makes for depressing stuff this does. The Mrs and I had our heart set on getting out to Australia in the next few years.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 354486

Seriously though, get the federal government to stop cramming Australia full of people, give us decent internet and public transport to decentralise jobs and start collecting revenue from the large global companies instead of turning a blind eye while they ship millions overseas.

But they won't do it, it's not good for Big Business.
"cramming Australia full of people"

The NIMBY nature of the whingers today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come for a holiday and see what you think. However, in my opinion, the place has played out and will never recover.
We did that and liked what we saw, the lifestyle just seemed far better than the grey, wet and depressing UK with people spending a lot more time outdoors.

Already visited Melbourne, Sydney and Tassie. Plan was to head back in the next year or two to recce Perth and Adelaide.

We did that and liked what we saw, the lifestyle just seemed far better than the grey, wet and depressing UK with people spending a lot more time outdoors.

Already visited Melbourne, Sydney and Tassie. Plan was to head back in the next year or two to recce Perth and Adelaide.
Can you come for a working holiday for a year or two? Manage the risks a bit.

Can you come for a working holiday for a year or two? Manage the risks a bit.
Not sure TBH. We would both need to sack the jobs to head out and likely sell the house. Would be looking to get in on the skilled migrant shortage list.

Not sure TBH. We would both need to sack the jobs to head out and likely sell the house. Would be looking to get in on the skilled migrant shortage list.
Mate, rent the UK house out, try to get leave without pay so you've a job to back to in UK if you need it. I'm stuck in a country I hate because my boy's here and I wouldn't wish the pain of being trapped in a place I detest on anyone.

i don’t really get the picture that @Bushmills paints. OK I’m lucky enough to live in a seriously nice beach suburb, not Sydney’s western suburbs. We have a lifestyle unimaginable in the UK thanks mainly to the weather.

Sure, Australia’s politicians are dire, New South Wales is something of a police state, there’s not much culture and the pubs are shite. But the sun shines most days, people are friendly and the beers cold.

It is expensive to live within the commuter belt of Sydney or Melbourne, but no more so than London. But we’ve got great schools, hospitals and recreation.

There’s no way on earth you’d drag me back to commuting in a miserable February morning.

Oh I remember the traffic cops between Newcastle and Nth Sydney on the old Pacific Hwy. All wearing leather service hats with slashed peaks and sunnies, trying to look intimidating. Laughed at first, then first time I got pulled in a truck, I found out! What a bunch of cnuts!!!!!!

Been here 28 years now definitely not as good as it was but I think it's probably a lot better than uk now. Ad shot ad the Australian government is at least it's our elected government not a bunch of European unelected pigs at the trough telling us what to do. Both my kids born here and I think they have had better opportunities than they would have had in U.K.

Been here 28 years now definitely not as good as it was but I think it's probably a lot better than uk now. Ad shot ad the Australian government is at least it's our elected government not a bunch of European unelected pigs at the trough telling us what to do. Both my kids born here and I think they have had better opportunities than they would have had in U.K.
I feel terrible that I can't give my boy the same opportunities I had as a kid in the UK. My dad was just a major and then a university lecturer, but we lived in a good neighbourhood in a nice big detached house and I went to a very good grammar school. My mother worked part time as a teacher.

I'm an interim CFO of fairly large companies ( quite good pay but no security) and my son's mother is a professor at Darwin Uni' but I only get to see him once a year, he goes to an appalling school that justifies $20k per annum fees because the other schools in Darwin are truly appalling, rather than just appalling. There is no way that I will ever be able to afford a house like the one I grew up in.

I keep trying to get a job back up in Darwin, but the economy's fucked up there and corrupt Greeks control the NT public service and I can't bring myself to pay a bung to Stavros to get a job, so my son grows up with a daddy who's 4,000km away.

I'm currently in Sydney paying $800 per week in rent, but my contract finishes in two weeks so Christ knows where I'll end up next.

i don’t really get the picture that @Bushmills paints. OK I’m lucky enough to live in a seriously nice beach suburb, not Sydney’s western suburbs. We have a lifestyle unimaginable in the UK thanks mainly to the weather.

Sure, Australia’s politicians are dire, New South Wales is something of a police state, there’s not much culture and the pubs are shite. But the sun shines most days, people are friendly and the beers cold.

It is expensive to live within the commuter belt of Sydney or Melbourne, but no more so than London. But we’ve got great schools, hospitals and recreation.

There’s no way on earth you’d drag me back to commuting in a miserable February morning.
It's a mixed bag of experiences, I've got friends from the UK and Ireland who love it here and are very happy, but I've also had three friends who came here from the UK and ended up topping themselves. Very high rates for Poms, Yanks and Kiwis, so if you're PRONE TO DEPRESSION, DON'T EMIGRATE>
Mindframe

Last edited:

That's what I'm after, being able to spend time outdoors with the boy rather than sat in the house watching the rain pissing off the window.

We both have decent jobs that would pay pretty well in Australia but we still can't afford anything near a beach in Sydney/Melbourne hence wanting to look at Perth or Adelaide.

Perhaps i should have said state capital cities. Sydney and Melbourne prices are crazy. They’ve spread up here to the Central Coast where badly build and maintained tar goes for $1M+.

We’ve been looking further North and are finding some surprisingly affordable properties. We could sell our little two up, two down terrace in Andover and buy a five bedroom house on a two acre block near enough outright.