• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Bet he didn't fuck up near as badly as our trough snufflers. At least in Oz there is a modicum of accountability to the public, even if they're just pretending most of the time.

Heh, just having a read of the local rag, seems like some members of the Australian Government are started to wake up to the fact that China is getting a bit too big for their britches

'Let me buy Rio Tinto': China's brazen bid to buy our companies

Hopefully this leads to others in the Australian government learning to say "No" to the Chinese (Who knows, maybe even eventually being able to say "No" to the Americans)

Last edited:
Heh, just having a read of the local rag, seems like some members of the Australian Government are started to wake up to the fact that China is getting a bit too big for their britches

Hopefully this leads to others in the Australian government learning to say "No" to the Chinese (Who knows, maybe even eventually being able to say "No" to the Americans)
Given that Rio Tinto is dual listed on the ASX and FTSE100 and has an arrangement to trade American Depositary Shares on the NYSE, good luck to them.

On the subject of China's involvement, this is a good book to read:

silent-invasion-3.jpg

Tony Abbott f**ked up royal and even though he got booted from the top job, he's still currently in politics and was a major player in trying to get Dutton in as PM.
Did Abbott really **** up? His government pretty much did what it was elected to do in its manifesto. Sure he went off piste with knighthoods but they were peripheral.

China would just love to get their hands on the Australian landmass and incorporate it into China, if they could. Would solve a whole bunch of problems for them. And they probably would make it worthwhile for individual Aussies if they got the permission. Not going to happen, just saying.

On the subject of China's involvement, this is a good book to read:

View attachment 351471
Not read the book yet and no surprises. But Australians can't have it both ways....china has supported the economy through resource buying and students paying through the nose for uni education in Aus plus no developers complained about Chinese buying apartments in Sydney to keep prices up. Double standards as usual - they want the benefits (greed) but then want to pretend that Aus is not really in the Asia Pacific. There are actually rules and regs on buying land, property and companies with national interest. As to enforcement, Aussies can only blame themselves as they are easily corrupted by greed and entitlement.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not read the book yet and no surprises. But Australians can't have it both ways....china has supported the economy through resource buying and students paying through the nose for uni education in Aus plus no developers complained about Chinese buying apartments in Sydney to keep prices up. Double standards as usual - they want the benefits (greed) but then want to pretend that Aus is not really in the Asia Pacific. There are actually rules and regs on buying land, property and companies with national interest. As to enforcement, Aussies can only blame themselves as they are easily corrupted by greed and entitlement.

As with most things, the people who are trying to open a dialogue about Chinese ownership concerns immediately gets shouted down as "Rascist". Funnily enough, often from the ones trying to sell Australia off.

As with most things, the people who are trying to open a dialogue about Chinese ownership concerns immediately gets shouted down as "Rascist". Funnily enough, often from the ones trying to sell Australia off.
Alas that's true. The Darwin docks debacle is a perfect example.

I don't disagree, but it as much 'short-sightism' as anything else. Not to mention not taking a look at the big picture.

Did Abbott really **** up? His government pretty much did what it was elected to do in its manifesto. Sure he went off piste with knighthoods but they were peripheral.
I like Tony Abbott. Unlike the vast majority of the inmates of Parliament, he has always struck me as a genuine 'bloke'.

I like Tony Abbott. Unlike the vast majority of the inmates of Parliament, he has always struck me as a genuine 'bloke'.
Me too. I think he got a very rough ride.

He made the Coalition electable where Turnbull has failed and then defeated the Rudd / Gillard clusterfuck only to be shafted. Sure he made some silly off piste decisions but none affected government.

Turnbull has been an absolute disaster. The Coalition should be dominating the polls; Shorten is a near unelectable union bully with a command of economics that makes Diane Abbott look like a Cambridge professor.

Me too. I think he got a very rough ride.

He made the Coalition electable where Turnbull has failed and then defeated the Rudd / Gillard clusterfuck only to be shafted. Sure he made some silly off piste decisions but none affected government.

Turnbull has been an absolute disaster. The Coalition should be dominating the polls; Shorten is a near unelectable union bully with a command of economics that makes Diane Abbott look like a Cambridge professor.
I agree. Even the best leader needs someone to whisper in his ear about the wisdom of certain decisions. Perhaps an Australian Sir Humphrey?

I agree. Even the best leader needs someone to whisper in his ear about the wisdom of certain decisions. Perhaps an Australian Sir Humphrey?
Interesting point; Australia doesn’t have the quite the same quality of civil service or tradition of independence.

The other issue is the role and power of the Senate, which is far more politicised than the Lords and has far more power to block legislation. Abbott never controlled the Senate (few PMs do), so he had to do deals with the likes of Palmer to get his program through.

IMHO the Senate is a crazy structure that gives power to minority interests by way of an effective casting vote. We have a Senator living locally who was kicked out of Parliament when Rudd went only to appear as an NSW Labour Senator next day.

Interesting point; Australia doesn’t have the quite the same quality of civil service or tradition of independence.

The other issue is the role and power of the Senate, which is far more politicised than the Lords and has far more power to block legislation. Abbott never controlled the Senate (few PMs do), so he had to do deals with the likes of Palmer to get his program through.

IMHO the Senate is a crazy structure that gives power to minority interests by way of an effective casting vote. We have a Senator living locally who was kicked out of Parliament when Rudd went only to appear as an NSW Labour Senator next day.
The Civil Service turned to shit with the advent of Senior Executive Contracts. This means that everybody on more than $140k per annum is on a three year contract (less job security than the politicians). The term "frank and fearless advice" has been replaced by flat and factual. It's a shit state of affairs.

For all that I think the girl is pretty stupid (or more likely the daughter of pretty stupid parent) one of the great things about Australia is that we don't take idiots too seriously. It truly is a country where it is not illegal to be an idiot. Which segues nicely back to the Senate . . .

Latest Threads