Na, it's truly shite, the economy's fucked.

Spent most of last year on the dole and am now back at work, on a contract, on the same hourly rate that I was on in 2006.

All the work in my field has been outsourced to Manilla or Bombay or is done by immigrants from India or China who entered the country as overseas students, obtained dodgy degrees ( was lecturing in one of the Uni's here in the 90's and you weren't allowed to fail an overseas student), and remained in the country to undercut local labour.

My kid and his mum are in Darwin(2000 miles away) as she's got a tenured job in the Uni there but there's no work for me up there which means that I've only seen my boy twice in the last year.

I'm in Sydney and it may as well be Bombay or Jakarta as the place has been taken over by Hajjiis.

At the same time, I'm paying $900 per week in tax, $35 for a packet of smokes and you can't rent an apartment in Sydney for less than $600 per week. Beer's $10 a pint, the telly' scrap and it's $6 for a kilo of tomatoes.

Place is a shithole and the cnuts running it ought to be shot.
But isn't that the case in most developed countries in most cases where lower skilled jobs are being slowly replaced by immigrants with lower wages or if possible, just plain outsourced? Upskilling or retraining is getting is almost a must, even some of my friends have had to learn new skills (even if they have a degree?) as job requirements are moving fast. Even I am thinking of it some point...

That said, there as long as there are a good amount of natural resources and the demand for it, the good paying jobs will exist, even if it's cyclical. Think of it like the oil industry where you earn a ton of money from time to time and but it's not constant, so just have to plan for it.

Aussie will be fine, as long as it;

Carries digging bfo holes in the ground to feed the Chinese and Western manufacturing economies... and continues to get good dollar for it.

Takes a sensibly pragmatic position on 'cultural integration' ... ditto, CANUKNZ.

Retains its strategic resources (and alliances).

PS, I also hate driving in Melb.. due to speed fascists. ... only Melb's bogun frat drive Holden Ute's now (RiP Holden) .. hipsters drive Euro carts and the normal peeps Asian cars... or tram/train it.

Yarra.

But isn't that the case in most developed countries in most cases where lower skilled jobs are being slowly replaced by immigrants with lower wages or if possible, just plain outsourced? Upskilling or retraining is getting is almost a must, even some of my friends have had to learn new skills (even if they have a degree?) as job requirements are moving fast. Even I am thinking of it some point...

That said, there as long as there are a good amount of natural resources and the demand for it, the good paying jobs will exist, even if it's cyclical. Think of it like the oil industry where you earn a ton of money from time to time and but it's not constant, so just have to plan for it.
Sorry mate!

I'm a member of two proper Chartered professional bodies (fellow of one of them), plus a Masters, a post grad cert, an honours degree (from good uni's) and a gong.

I'm buggered to understand how I can upskill any further.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry mate!

I'm a member of two proper Chartered professional bodies (fellow of one of them), plus a Masters, a post grad cert, an honours degree (from good uni's) and a gong.

I'm buggered to understand how I can upskill any further.
Change subjects and start again...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer the OP - no it hasn't. It's just as good/bad/indifferent as it was when I arrived 12 years ago.

Some sectors have gone to shit, some have got better. I've been fortunate to be in the employ of the government, so unaffected by resources boom/bust.

To answer the OP - no it hasn't. It's just as good/bad/indifferent as it was when I arrived 12 years ago.

Some sectors have gone to shit, some have got better. I've been fortunate to be in the employ of the government, so unaffected by resources boom/bust.
Nice cousin in Perth, previously Aberdeen/North Sea, was an oil & gas project manager on a billion dollar job; a few years ago there were 7 of those off WA.
Now there are none.
Outcome: some retired, some changed jobs, he has young children so rejected a fifo (fly in, fly out) role in the mines in favour of becoming facilties man (clipboard and wrench) @ his son's school.
Alas, his crazy wife seems slow to adjust to the lowered income levels....but difficult to blame the system for that one

It doesn't help when the politicians are calling for even more immigration to solve the "skills shortfall" (IE Propping Up House Prices With Foreign Money, Keep Wages Low).

As for natural resources like natural gas , our beloved pollies managed to ensure that foreign interests were taken care off first. It's cheaper for us to sell natural gas to Japan first, then buy it back off them than buying it direct from the supplier.

I've been waiting 20 years for gas to be laid on in our street. Fat chance of that happening when the manufacturers have overseas countries to take care off first.

It doesn't help when the politicians are calling for even more immigration to solve the "skills shortfall" (IE Propping Up House Prices With Foreign Money, Keep Wages Low).

As for natural resources like natural gas , our beloved pollies managed to ensure that foreign interests were taken care off first. It's cheaper for us to sell natural gas to Japan first, then buy it back off them than buying it direct from the supplier.

I've been waiting 20 years for gas to be laid on in our street. Fat chance of that happening when the manufacturers have overseas countries to take care off first.
You're perfectly correct, the bloody politicians think we're all mugs. I'm currently paying $800 a week rent in Sydney and am genuinely struggling on $160k p.a., the place is insane.

Why are you renting on 90k a year?
Because there's no work in Darwin so I'm on a contract in Sydney. In the past year I've moved four times for work. It's like I'm a McAlpine's Fusilier; however, I've got a kid at an expensive school, but it's a shit way to live.

1. Jan 17-July 17 Contract in Sydney
  2. July 17- Nov 17 Contract in Gove NT
  3. Dec 17- Jan 18 Contract in Cairns QLD
  4. April 18- Date Contract in Sydney.

Last edited:
Because there's no work in Darwin so I'm on a contract in Sydney. In the past year I've moved four times for work. It's like I'm a McAlpine's Fusilier; however, I've got a kid at an expensive school, but it's a shit way to live.

1. Jan 17-July 17 Contract in Sydney
  2. July 17- Nov 17 Contract in Gove NT
  3. Dec 17- Jan 18 Contract in Cairns QLD
  4. April 18- Date Contract in Sydney.
That's interesting, when I was there as a temp resident in 2012 Darwin was booming, what became of that giant gas site everyone was raving abou was going to create a gorillion jobs? (Think I've asked you this before so apologies for Groundhog Day).

That's interesting, when I was there as a temp resident in 2012 Darwin was booming, what became of that giant gas site everyone was raving abou was going to create a gorillion jobs? (Think I've asked you this before so apologies for Groundhog Day).
The gas plant was completed and the FIFO workers went home. Unfortunately, the hype about secondary industries was just that, hype. I try to get back every six weeks to see my boy and the place is like Skem' or Kirkby in the 80's. Empty pubs and all my mates working interstate.

The gas plant was completed and the FIFO workers went home. Unfortunately, the hype about secondary industries was just that, hype. I try to get back every six weeks to see my boy and the place is like Skem' or Kirkby in the 80's. Empty pubs and all my mates working interstate.
Wow, can't imagine Darwin's pubs being empty! I lived there for 6 months, pretty much the only thing to do of an evening once the lure of Minidil Beach wore off. Is there still a downturn in FIFO in and around Perth?

When I lived there in '12, the general way of life there reminded me of the UK in full easy-credit mode on steroids, a bit like what it was like here in '07. You could see it coming a mile off.

Wow, can't imagine Darwin's pubs being empty! I lived there for 6 months, pretty much the only thing to do of an evening once the lure of Minidil Beach wore off. Is there still a downturn in FIFO in and around Perth?

When I lived there in '12, the general way of life there reminded me of the UK in full easy-credit mode on steroids, a bit like what it was like here in '07. You could see it coming a mile off.
WA is in a mess as well, the building sites of Sydney are full of Perth and Darwin blokes.

You're perfectly correct, the bloody politicians think we're all mugs. I'm currently paying $800 a week rent in Sydney and am genuinely struggling on $160k p.a., the place is insane.
Good god, Man. $800 Aus per week is insane. I was paying $800 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Dover, NJ 35 miles to the west of NYC. My brother pays $1000 for a similar space in Arlington, VA (but the Government gives him a housing allowance adjusted for the high cost of living within the Beltway as he's a GS employee of the US Army Corps of Engineers. I would move if I were you.

Good god, Man. $800 Aus per week is insane. I was paying $800 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Dover, NJ 35 miles to the west of NYC. My brother pays $1000 for a similar space in Arlington, VA (but the Government gives him a housing allowance adjusted for the high cost of living within the Beltway as he's a GS employee of the US Army Corps of Engineers. I would move if I were you.
$800 a week for a decent apartment in a decent suburb is about the going rate, and you have to live where the work is.
Cost of Living in Sydney: Breakdown of Rents by Suburb - Sydney Moving Guide

$2400 US doesn’t get you much in L.A - I pay more than that in mortgage/property tax a month. They say you need 87k a year to live as a family of four... I thinks it’s higher to be honest.

Surely that has to be unsustainable in the long run. How the hell can anyone afford to live there?

I'd mentioned on another thread we were thinking of making the move to Australia but with those kind of costs it'll never happen, the two of us together would be bringing in about what you're getting on your own.

Surely that has to be unsustainable in the long run. How the hell can anyone afford to live there?

I'd mentioned on another thread we were thinking of making the move to Australia but with those kind of costs it'll never happen, the two of us together would be bringing in about what you're getting on your own.
The point is that people are paying the asking price so can obviously afford to do so, if the asking price was impossible to pay, the lets would be empty and the landlords would rapidly drop their asking price as no money would be coming in and they would not be able to meet their own outgoings.

Latest Threads