• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

A Yank's questions on RUC Ruger fiirearms: the ACC-556 (Mini-14) and Security Six

I just picked up one of the newly redesigned Ruger Mini-14's http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...310_01_580_series_ruger_mini_14_stain_640.jpg.

It's currently my #2 semi-auto rifle after my Springfield M1A (civvie M14)
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1069824_10201218897942157_1874164496_n.jpg ;

the M1A is for longer range work, the Mini for 200 yds or so in. The Springfield in the pic is actually mine, the one of the Mini is of someone else's but the exact model

Buying the Mini led me to ask all PSNI old salts and former RUC men (and squaddies who may have had a chance to fire them) how they felt about their full auto ACC-556's and their Security Six revolvers.

#1 Ruger Inc.'s stateside rep is that while their products may be a tad overbuilt, they are absolutely bomb proof. Did this prove true during the Troubles?

#2 Why were both the carbine and revolver chosen over other companies' offerings? What was the deciding factor in their selection (price point, performance, etc.)?

#3 When were the Ruger weapons selected, purchased and fielded to the RUC? I've also heard that the Democrats in Congress attempted to delay the export of these weapons to the UK. Was this true?

#4 I believe that the PSNI now carry Glock 17's and HK G36's, when/why were the Ruger weapons phased out?

#5 What sort of ammo was issued? .38 spl or .357 MAG (JHP or FMJ) for the revolvers and .233 Remington or 5.56x45mm NATO for the long guns?

#6 As stated in one of my previous threads on the L1A1, the current long gun craze here in the States is that ALL rifles, semi and bolt, reach one minute of angle (i.e. 1" at 100 yds.), which I DON'T ascribe to for a lightweight combat rifle. The Mini-14's rep here suffers because it's considered unacceptably inaccurate compared to the M16/AR-15 platform.

How did the ACC-556 fare accuracy wise on the streets and farms of NI?

#7 Most importantly, how much confidence did the constables take in their issued weapons?

As always, everyone's insights are always appreciated, and I look forward to your comments.

As to #2 I'd guess that the Mini14 was seen as a good semi-auto that didn't look too militaristic, i.e. it doesn't look like an assault rifle.

That's one of the big reasons why so many police departments here adopted them

Didn't RUC originally use S&W .357 magnums and M1 carbines? I may be mistaken but I seem to recall Republican sympathising elements in congress blocked those weapons being exported to the RUC, hence the switch to the Ruger weapons. Of course one assumes such a block would also apply to Ruger so I could be totally, utterly wrong.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

#6. I know it's rebellious thinking, but perhaps it was in someone's interest to set the standard as that which could be achieved by the M16/AR15.
On the plus side, it does make every law enforcement officer look like an airsoft walt/space marine from Aliens.

Just a thought.......

Either the Irish office thought that a weapon designed as a "Ranch Rifle" for half wit septic farmers would be just the thing for the thugs of the Ruthless Unionist Constabulary, or Ruger paid the best backhander.....my money is on the backhander!

On the plus side, it does make every law enforcement officer look like an airsoft walt/space marine from Aliens.

Just a thought.......
Tell me about it, stateside cops look more and more like they're gearing up to invade Poland

http://motherboard-assets.s3.amazon...e163bc2aa9f5bf60097b74286b65_vice_630x420.jpg

Whereas the RUC took on a REAL foe for decades wearing a uniform blouse, tie, and peaked cap.

http://www.royalirishconstabulary.com/RUC_Man_on_patrol.JPG

The Mini 14 is not only cheap, but also very reliable, eats anything and everything in .223 Rem. Accuracy is acceptable out to 100 mtrs but thereafter the result looks like a shotgun pattern on open choke. Just the job for police depts with tight budgets.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
The RUC certainly used M1 Carbines up until the early '80s, and possibly beyond. I remember one of our Armourers at the time saying that they were falling to bits by then, which is hardly surprising - I doubt that they were new when the RUC got them. Fun little guns, and made for a good day on the range when swapped for SLRs. No use however as climbing supports, stretcher poles, or beating-people-sticks, which SLRs were :)

The RUC certainly used M1 Carbines up until the early '80s, and possibly beyond. I remember one of our Armourers at the time saying that they were falling to bits by then, which is hardly surprising - I doubt that they were new when the RUC got them. Fun little guns, and made for a good day on the range when swapped for SLRs. No use however as climbing supports, stretcher poles, or beating-people-sticks, which SLRs were :)
M1 WWII era semi autos, or were they the Korean era M2 selective fire versions?

Saw an M1 carbine in Lisburn in 1990 - could have been in the hands of a special though.

IIRC the M1 carbines were initially made available to the RUC out of UK MoD stocks left over from WW2, Korea, Malaya.

It would probably would have made sense to then upgrade them to a weapon that was nearly identical in characteristics and weapon training requirements - the Mini14. Ruger pistols then presumably just become a cost-effective part of a single procurement contract.

I remember RUC patrol units out with us carrying Rugers and M1 carbines. On occasion they also had a para version of the M1/2 with a hinged wire stock and shortened barrel...

ugly

LE
I have seen on a patrol from XMG Peelers armed with Ruger AC556, M1 Carbines and an SLR, the Ruger was fitted with a SUIT sight somehow. I have also seen the old DMSU in Belfast pulling sterling 9mm SMGs out of the boot of their cortina with a spot weld between the R and A on the selector/safety prefenting full auto allegedly!

ugly

LE
I did hear that the Home office purchased them all as a job lot for the UK forces as Congress were being friendly and helpfull as usual. The stink created when they appeared in Ulster was ignored by the Tories and quite right too!

Certainly some of the RUC I met, who carried the M2, moaned that the weapon was semi-automatic only. Which was a relief.

As an aside-and certainly in the early days-there was considerable leeway as to what NI Police could carry. I attended a RUC Divisional Monthly Prayers and was mildly surprised to see a NIAL* Police officer tooled up with a 4" S and W with a bright, shiny stainless steel frame.

*for those having difficulty with that one, it was Northern Ireland Airports Limited Police, and totally autonomous, much to the disgust of RUC.

ugly

LE
I think this is RUC - Not very good quality but might be of interest
Border crossing, bodge mount suit on a Ruger AC556, not great for shooting but at least he can see what he is missing unlike the RUC reservist who opened up on a Q car with one and only hit it twice despite firning nine rounds and they were bumper to bumper!

IIRC the Rugers were issued in bulk circa 1982. As a useless aside one of the authorised self protection weapons fo Prison Officers was a .22 Star pistol. Dirty Harry it wsn't.

Latest Threads