A worrying perspective of the US Army

Discussion in 'US' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The modern US army: unfit for service? | World news | The Guardian (c) Y Grauniad

Taken from today's Guardian. Some of the sources quoted in the article may be on someones list of usual suspects, but this does make for depressing reading.

USMC Scout Snipers are also mentioned in the article, in relation to the infamous photo with the sig runes flag.

Any thoughts?

2. This was way back in '91, but we had a guy booted out of my platoon in Marine Corps Boot Camp for being a skinhead/neo-Nazi. Never heard the full story about him, it was within the first week or two as I recall. He was simply gone one day. One of my DI's called him a "racist skinhead motherfcuker" and that was about the end of it. I remember seeing some tats that seemed pretty sketchy, but I wasn't then, nor am I now, very attuned to the "White Power" movement.

On the other side of the coin, when in "A" school one of the Corporals on my deck was a devout Black Muslim, and all into books about how Whitey was the devil, etc.

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Stereotypes make for easy journalism and this is a dog whistle piece to the Guardian's core readership who are strangely aroused by a glimpse of Swastika. In an organisation the size of the US Military it's not hard to find an example of one's bete noir of preference - rampant liberals, rampant feminists, rampant homosexuals, rampant fascists, murderous islamic fanatics, white power, black power, horrendous fatties, remorseless doughnut hunters, etc and use it to deplore the state of the nation and the general decline.

4. I think that racism (though not necessarily hard core neo-nazism) is a lot more common than most Guardian readers would like to imagine. I don't just mean in the US or the UK, but in most countries no matter which race/colour/religion the population has.

As to the article, I was misled by the byline, and was expecting to read at least a little about falling fitness standards.

5. Actually oddly enough, I was out with an African-American girl last night, and we needed to stop off at a store for some stuff, in an area with which I wasn't totally familiar...she said something to the effect of "Don't stop here, this is serious n***erville," which surprised me as she's pretty well spoken. She apologized and said, "I don't just mean black people when I say that word, white n***ers are the worst because they befriend you and THEN they steal from you." Fair 'nuff, but I did recall Sen. Byrd getting in trouble for saying essentially the same thing years ago. Pleasant company, other than that.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You should really stop reading the Hampstead hill Daily Wail. Its noot good for you. Now racism nasty as it is, is actually a perfectly normal state for the human to exist in. We are all slightly different yet band together in groups organised/based upon culture, sport, belief, need I go on? Add to this the many years of conditioning about different people and cultures and its easy to understand. Discriminating against someone though is actually unnecessary as if they are actually no good it will soon become apparent!

7. Well speaking as one who has been married to a Gibsons I feel qualified to speak. My (black) Inlaws would take me to some dodgy nightclubs and be greeted thus:Hey niggah who de honky / ghost widjah?The response was: he my bro niggah. He my fam ok?Whateve man, cool. And I was ...... in .... to a place reeking of ganja and pussyHappy days

8. I'm more worried about Lib-Dem infiltration of 3rd Para.

From STT "Global blivet" de Borchgrave

9. Yes fine but did you get your nuts after picking up some stuff

10. We had to pick up some stuff because her Aunt Flo paid her a visit over dinner. Raincheck for later in the week. ;)