A world without oil

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2656034.ece

So the withdrawal from Iraq would be posponed.
  2. Cow

Cow LE

Everything in the world runs around oil production, they'd better find some sort of alternative which is easily mass producable pretty quick.

Falkland Islands would become alot more valuable!
  3. Wey hey. Global warming. SORTED.
  4. Even if BP are right, the G8 will defo hit their target of 50% reduction of CO2 emissions by 2050.........lmao
  5. Well, maybe Russia and its Oil, isnt so paranoid about America and its star wars shield.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There are indeed lots more oil reserves, but they will be harder and harder to get out of the ground and eventually oil will be so damned expensive that people just won't pay it.

Roll on fusion, hydrogen fuel cells and solar panels.
  7. We have these now .

Say if a true Statesman , for example Bush had put into renewable fuel policy the funding spent on the Iraq holiday we would or America would now be well on the way to oil independance. Why wage war to retain oil when with the same cash he could have made USA totaly fuel independant.

Oh I did say statesman and not shaved chimp twat.
  8. Maybe there was another reason then?
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Like all developing technologies, fuel cells (even though they've been around for 60 years) and solar panels (about the same), it is not until sufficient investment is made that they become properly economically viable. The space race has ensured that solar panels are ever more efficient, but they are still expensive for the average householder and not in the same league. Solar panels for the average consumer do not pay for themselves for a VERY long time, and again, fuel cell technology is still developing into a form that is practical and viable.

It's true that it's the way to go, but there are still many hurdles to overcome. BP and it's report is not helpful because they are attempting to protect their market and take away the impetus for alternatives.

As for the shaved chimp t**t, his interests are well known, and that's oil, oil, oil (and some bananas, yeahhaw!)
  11. But fusion has always been "just around the corner". I reckon fission will be with us for a long while yet - and I want the politicians to wake up and smell the coffee.... now, before the power goes off and we can't boil the water!

12. All you need to do is look at the levels of the SPAMS strategic oil reserves. They are stockpiling oil like no tommorow because they know that the end is nigh and every developing nation is built around oil. Now that the bagdad hoilday has come to fruition they also have the oil rights for the next 25 years there as payback for 'liberating' thier country.

We are the ones that are fooked because we helped them do it and didnt get any major contracts as a result of our ineptitude at getting in there quick enough and also the fact that Donald Rumsfeld is on the board of a certain major corporation which did win the contracts.

As for me im off to sunnier climbs where solar panels will warm me up no end. :D Best of luck chaps (and chapesses)
  13. Well, cars would be OK 'cos we can run them on alcohol made from sugar. Electricity generation will be OK 'cos we can go nuclear - which can also power ships.

What about planes? Can they run on anything except hydrocarbons? Excepting a few solar and nuclear powered oddities, there seems to be no option other than oil fired aircraft.

Will we all be taking a boat to go on holiday? Will 'reactor officer' become a new rank in the merchant navy?
  14. Well, thank f*ck for that. I'm well aware ofthe unpleasant consequences if we're caught with our pants down, but for the sake of chucking the ME back into their well-deserved Medieval obscurity, it'll be worth it.

Wonder how much Saudi Princes will be able to charge for arms deals when they've got nothing anybody wants.
  15. Why on earth would Bush and his US cronies want to invest money into renewable fuel policy when they are all directors or have business interests in major Oil Companies.

Dont forget this is a country which is ony now trying to bring in policies to reduce their carbon emmissions while claiming that all these initiatives are Home Grown.... Funny, I could have sworn that the americans rejected them all 10 years ago when the Kyoto agreemant first tried to introduce them?