A Workers Right to Strike

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RearWords, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So yet another company (Network Rail) takes a union (RMT) to court to stop their proposed strike action. A worker's right to withdraw their labour is under threat. The Anti-Union law is being tested at this most critical time in our economic recovery.

Could British companies learn good worker relations from their Japanese counterparts or are we on a downward spiral to the bad labour relations of the seventies.
  2. Good. I hope Network Rail win and they all get sacked :twisted:
  3. Who gives a fuck? Nowt to do with military current affairs is it, hag-bag?
  4. Rubbish, they are testing the strikes legality, they have every right to do so.

Frankly the "workers" are taking the piss on this one.
  5. Only the f uckwits in the public sector and ex nationalised industries still think unions are worthwhile, therefore preventing most of the useless c unts being sacked at the first f ucking opportunity.

Can't work? Never going to achieve a f ucking thing? ... join the union, we'll defend your right to be a useless c unt to the bitter end.
  6. There are lots of UK companies who have demonstrated excellent relationships with their workforce both unionised and none unionised during this recession . Such relationships can be demonstrated by agreed reduction in the working week with reduced pay , no pay increases , taking holiday entitlement as part of enforced shutdowns , real cost savings exercises . However we still have in some areas what can only be described as dinosaur , confrontational style of relationship in which it is constantly put about that the worforce is being exploited . That is the area which needs to brought into the 21st Century and it includes the BA , Network Rail and London Underground disputes . How come one part of the UK workforce is prepared to bite the bullet , take the pain and to mutual benefit see their employment more guaranteed and yet others want more , more , better , better , now , now ?
  7. Because their evil Union overlords need to remind Peter and his maxi-me (well, Gordon's not a small bloke!) just who is in charge.
  8. You're either a Striker or a Worker - it don't take any effort to be the former.
  9. The workers chances of employment have been ruined by the marxist union leaders. UNITE for instance complain about British Jobs for British workers yet travel to eastern Europe to sign up members or ufnd UAF violence and pay for advertisement campaaigns in the national press telling people how to vote. At the same time they plan to spend six figure sums on the unions HQ. Not to mention the fact they launder taxpayers money back into the labour Party, the party whose open door immigration polcies is costing members their jobs.

Sickening and hypocritical left wing w*nkers who care nothing for the worker.
  10. You're not wrong, the gits only plan on striking from 06:00-10:00 and 18:00-22:00 each day, thereby only really inconveniencing the working public (commuters) but the rest of the day is fine.
  11. Workrs have righjts god danm you! They line the copkets of the rich and feed the hungry of the nation!

I'ma lttle drunk so anything you fight back with is utter bollox and completely irrelevant....
  12. The point is roadster during the period of the Tolpuddle Martyrs the landowners/employers and their workers did not sit down and have discussions/negotiations. It was a question of the workers having no rights whatsoever. Industrial relations have moved on to present day where workers have those rights to withdraw their labour because of the sacrifices made by the first so-called trade unionists.

I still believe sitting round a table discussing/negotiating or having an ACAS intervention is the best policy. Sometimes the idea of locking them into a room and not letting anyone leave until a compromise is reached which is acceptable to both parties is very attractive. The alternative is an employer changing an employee's work contract at will without any redress from the employee. As far as I'm concerned there will always be abuses on both sides, the nature of the animal, but it is all checks and balances, the system works.
  13. "Could British companies learn good worker relations from their Japanese counterparts or are we on a downward spiral to the bad labour relations of the seventies."

Take it from someone who lives in Japan - British workers have it easy in comparison in so many ways.

Wages here are low - very low. I now work as a headhunter and I am constantly shocked by how much less Japanese workers are paid than their counterparts from abroad (sometimes even within the same company!). And don't think that the cost of living here is cheap - it isn't. Taxes are as high as the UK's too.

Japanese workers are often treated appallingly badly by bosses. Being shouted at, ridiculed even physically struck as far more common than you would think. Being a worker or a junior manager can be absolutely miserable. Everything here is based upon seniority and not competence. You are promoted when you reach a certain age. When managers reach a certain level of seniority they often effectively give up working as they feel that after so many years of misery and toil they have earned the right to do so. This is one of the reasons that it is SO difficult to get any Japanese company to commit to anything (there are other cultural reasons too, but this is a factor).

The hours are long. If the boss is in the office, you don't go home. Or, as a junior, the boss may go out (more likely drinking rather than home, but that is a whole different cultural issue) but you stay and do the work. When I worked on the Japanese desk of a bank in London we would regularly have assistants calling us from Tokyo at 2am or 3am their time, just to square away some admin that their boss needed done. They do not get overtime or days off in lieu. This was a top tier international bank by the way, so imagine what it is like in a domestic firm! My last girlfriend here worked for a local company as a junior manager - she was told when her holidays would be (no choice in the matter), worked stupid hours for little money and hated it - but that is how it is.

I promise you I could go on. British workers have it easy in comparison and when I look at how the idiot unions (especially RMT and Unite) conduct themselves I honestly despair. You said that workers should be entitled to representation and you have a point - but what you should ask yourself is whether or not certain unions cause all of this trouble in order to justify their own existence - with regard to RMT and Unite this certainly seems to be the case. I feel sorry for the workers that they have duped into threatening their own jobs and I would absolutely love to see these unions smashed by whatever means possible
  14. Workers also have the right to fukc off and get a different job/quit or just die. If you don't like your job/conditions do one!

Fair play to the staff at BA that didn't strike.
  15. I support the concept of unions, where those at the bottom end of the food chain are protected from abuse by large companies.

For example - look at the slaves who are employed in the forces catering and cleaning contracts. Minimum wage, no sick pay, no routine hours, getting bussed to different sites with travel time not paid etc. They are forbidden from joining unions, and they are the people who need protection the most.

Compare them to BA cabin crews or members of the RMT, who have good salaries, good contracts and probably don't know why they are striking in the first place.