Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don’t want to steer you in the wrong direction but I took my car on a couple of my TA courses. Not basic training courses though. Handy later in life to have it there for early finishes, time off etc.

I would ask around a bit.

I don’t want to steer you in the wrong direction but I took my car on a couple of my TA courses. Not basic training courses though. Handy later in life to have it there for early finishes, time off etc.

It’s fine for your Phase 2 onwards, but for the Ph1 Alpha and Bravo, the Joining Instructions state you must not self drive. One of the reasons is you could come off the course with an injury, and not be able to drive.

DBarnett

Swinger
Hi guys, has anyone recently been on their alpha or bravo course, that could share some insight into how they are running it now, due to Covid and social distancing? I’m due to go on my alpha course in January then back for a week then straight on bravo!
Recently completed a Bravo so here's a few thoughts. Bear in mind I did my Alpha pre-covid. Covid has had a major impact but so has sickle cell and a syllabus change.

Main changes to pre-covid:
  1. PT. Far easier and a lot less of it. This is part covid, part sickle cell. You have to pass RFT (beep test rather than 2 Km run). On our beep test we were told only to go to the level required for our badge (9.5 Infantry, 7.9 RE/RA, 7.2 all others from memory) then stop regardless. I would caveat bayonet training they flog you far worse then any PT session but it's one of the best bits.
  2. Massive shift towards rifle shooting. When I did my Alpha Skill At Arms (SAA) was to take you to complete your Weapons Handling Test then you progress at Bravo. I believe now Alpha also includes live firing because they want to start training you on grouping ASAP. On my Bravo this meant going to LF15/16, effectively 200m target shooting from various positions. I was told by the CO this is because the delta between previous live firing and CIC for infanteers, was too great and they needed to close the gap.
  3. This extra firing comes at expense of doing only one 2 night exercise (previously 4 nights over two exercises). The 3 days are LONG and you have a lot to cram in but I definitely liked doing more live firing compared to nights on stag.
  4. Pretty sure you used to touch on SERE and EO but now it's just one lesson on LOAC (Law Of Armed Conflict) and then a test.
  5. You're all in bubbles and there's zero mixing between platoons and minimal between sections.
  6. It's great fun but they work you hard, after 16 days you're exhausted but come away feeling very fulfilled.
Hope that helps.

Regarding driving to courses etc. Due to work I could not do my normal camp (Cyprus or Gibraltar or somewhere hot and sunny as usual) and did a deferred camp later in the year (about this time of year) in the UK. As it was 150 miles away I drove. It was great because I carried extra kit which I could store in the boot. BUT and it's a big but, driving home on the Sunday evening after a fortnight of fun and games I hadn't realised how tired I was until the back lights of the cars in front started rotating in front of me and I was feeling numb. I was absolutely knackered. I pulled in 10 miles from home and fell asleep for an hour. Driving home after a course or camp is not to be considered lightly.

Regarding driving to courses etc. Due to work I could not do my normal camp (Cyprus or Gibraltar or somewhere hot and sunny as usual) and did a deferred camp later in the year (about this time of year) in the UK. As it was 150 miles away I drove. It was great because I carried extra kit which I could store in the boot. BUT and it's a big but, driving home on the Sunday evening after a fortnight of fun and games I hadn't realised how tired I was until the back lights of the cars in front started rotating in front of me and I was feeling numb. I was absolutely knackered. I pulled in 10 miles from home and fell asleep for an hour. Driving home after a course or camp is not to be considered lightly.

Precisely why the they say you’re not to do it.

Edit. Bear in mind I’m thinking pre COVID. It’s possible they’re permitting it now so you don’t need to share a train with nasty infected people, BUT, your unit are supposed provide transport.

Precisely why the they say you’re not to do it.

Edit. Bear in mind I’m thinking pre COVID. It’s possible they’re permitting it now so you don’t need to share a train with nasty infected people, BUT, your unit are supposed provide transport.

I had a choice regarding transport

It’s worth bearing in mind that whatever you do at the weekend or course you are generally driving home from the TAC (or whatever) anyway.
Sorry for the thread drift.

ashley82

Swinger
Recently completed a Bravo so here's a few thoughts. Bear in mind I did my Alpha pre-covid. Covid has had a major impact but so has sickle cell and a syllabus change.

Main changes to pre-covid:
  1. PT. Far easier and a lot less of it. This is part covid, part sickle cell. You have to pass RFT (beep test rather than 2 Km run). On our beep test we were told only to go to the level required for our badge (9.5 Infantry, 7.9 RE/RA, 7.2 all others from memory) then stop regardless. I would caveat bayonet training they flog you far worse then any PT session but it's one of the best bits.
  2. Massive shift towards rifle shooting. When I did my Alpha Skill At Arms (SAA) was to take you to complete your Weapons Handling Test then you progress at Bravo. I believe now Alpha also includes live firing because they want to start training you on grouping ASAP. On my Bravo this meant going to LF15/16, effectively 200m target shooting from various positions. I was told by the CO this is because the delta between previous live firing and CIC for infanteers, was too great and they needed to close the gap.
  3. This extra firing comes at expense of doing only one 2 night exercise (previously 4 nights over two exercises). The 3 days are LONG and you have a lot to cram in but I definitely liked doing more live firing compared to nights on stag.
  4. Pretty sure you used to touch on SERE and EO but now it's just one lesson on LOAC (Law Of Armed Conflict) and then a test.
  5. You're all in bubbles and there's zero mixing between platoons and minimal between sections.
  6. It's great fun but they work you hard, after 16 days you're exhausted but come away feeling very fulfilled.
Hope that helps.
Hi pal, that’s a massive help, thank you I have my alpha course 29th jan then come home for a week and then back off to my bravo so gonna be an exhausting month ‍♂️ All good tho. I’ve had to do a pre alpha course online on my defence gateway that was pretty good. I’m worried my kit won’t arrive on time tho! I was measured and it was sent off two weeks ago! Some guys have said people haven’t had there kit until 2days before they’ve gone to alpha and didn’t receive all their kit ‍♂️

We would not allow Recruits to rock up in Alpha in their own cars - in large part because we would not want to risk them falling asleep on the way home should they have worked into / through the night. There is also an element of personal security with public transport.

If a unit is telling a recruit to self propel, they're being jack.

DBarnett

Swinger
Hi pal, that’s a massive help, thank you I have my alpha course 29th jan then come home for a week and then back off to my bravo so gonna be an exhausting month ‍♂️ All good tho. I’ve had to do a pre alpha course online on my defence gateway that was pretty good. I’m worried my kit won’t arrive on time tho! I was measured and it was sent off two weeks ago! Some guys have said people haven’t had there kit until 2days before they’ve gone to alpha and didn’t receive all their kit ‍♂️
Kit arriving in a fast, orderly manner is rare at the best of times, and these are clearly not the best of times. I would HIGHLY recommend printing off the kit list you should have received with your Alpha joining instructions and checking off all issued items so you track what you have yet to receive. Boots are the main thing you need urgently so you can break them in, also with a tight turn around for Bravo make sure you're sized for your respirator ASAP.

There are quite a few items where if you do not have them either the centre you're going to will or you can survive without. But don't turn up with your own bright, white trainers because you don't like the issued one's - it's a right of passage to suffer the ankle breakers. Ditto with webbing and bergens, you get what you're given and will have to wait until post-Bravo before you can start buying your own Gucci stuff.

As I said Basic Training is great fun, and as someone who had no previous military experience, it does knock off the civie edges before you actually do the useful stuff in trade training. Which trade are you looking to join?

ashley82

Swinger
Kit arriving in a fast, orderly manner is rare at the best of times, and these are clearly not the best of times. I would HIGHLY recommend printing off the kit list you should have received with your Alpha joining instructions and checking off all issued items so you track what you have yet to receive. Boots are the main thing you need urgently so you can break them in, also with a tight turn around for Bravo make sure you're sized for your respirator ASAP.

There are quite a few items where if you do not have them either the centre you're going to will or you can survive without. But don't turn up with your own bright, white trainers because you don't like the issued one's - it's a right of passage to suffer the ankle breakers. Ditto with webbing and bergens, you get what you're given and will have to wait until post-Bravo before you can start buying your own Gucci stuff.

As I said Basic Training is great fun, and as someone who had no previous military experience, it does knock off the civie edges before you actually do the useful stuff in trade training. Which trade are you looking to join?
I’m currently with 214 battery Worcester (RA) 104 regiment. Learning a lot fast, and can’t wait to start doing weekends away etc once this covid has fucked off ha ha which probably won’t be for a very long time! I just hope I do get the majority of my kit as I don’t want to rock up to training with next to nothing then spending the whole experience worried and nervous cause I don’t have the right kit etc and looking like a divvy!!

Latest Threads