Hi,

I’m considering joining the reserves and was wondering how a week as a reservist might look.

Can you only work on the weekends (if so, what’s the working hours)?

Can you work in the week (if so what hours)?

What do you do on the working day (different units may vary but a general guide would be great)?

would be great to hear from someone who is a reservist now and how he works it around thier full time job.

thanks.

I do my day job 9-5 Monday to Friday. We do one training evening a week (remotely at the moment thanks to Corona), and a weekend or sometimes two a month. Weekend training might be 9-5 in camp, of Friday night to Sunday afternoon for a field exercise.

Our two week of collective training is focused on platform conversion courses for vehicle crews, plus options for weapons training, career courses and other training depending on your cap badge and what your unit might require.

There are usually opportunities to work odd days in the week, but I wouldn’t rely on it. There are also still plenty of opportunities to deploy on operations.

Experiences may vary, and whoever you’re looking at joining will have their own way of working. Talk to them to get a feel for if it might work for you.

Snapper 25

Clanker
You can do as much or as little as you want. Most people attend a drill night for 2 hours once a week. One or two weekends a month ( Friday to Sunday). Then a two week camp which is usually an exercise or training course. You can do multiple camps through the year if you want or have the time.
If you want to do more there might be jobs to do in your arc (army reserve centre), during the week or doing things like driving people to courses.
Some people manage to do so much that it's like a full time job. You can do up to 220 days as a reservist.
There is also the opportunity to go on tour or join the regs on ftrs where you'll be a regular soldier for 12- 24 months.

Thanks for the reply
You can do as much or as little as you want. Most people attend a drill night for 2 hours once a week. One or two weekends a month ( Friday to Sunday). Then a two week camp which is usually an exercise or training course. You can do multiple camps through the year if you want or have the time.
If you want to do more there might be jobs to do in your arc (army reserve centre), during the week or doing things like driving people to courses.
Some people manage to do so much that it's like a full time job. You can do up to 220 days as a reservist.
There is also the opportunity to go on tour or join the regs on ftrs where you'll be a regular soldier for 12- 24 months.
I do my day job 9-5 Monday to Friday. We do one training evening a week (remotely at the moment thanks to Corona), and a weekend or sometimes two a month. Weekend training might be 9-5 in camp, of Friday night to Sunday afternoon for a field exercise.

Our two week of collective training is focused on platform conversion courses for vehicle crews, plus options for weapons training, career courses and other training depending on your cap badge and what your unit might require.

There are usually opportunities to work odd days in the week, but I wouldn’t rely on it. There are also still plenty of opportunities to deploy on operations.

Experiences may vary, and whoever you’re looking at joining will have their own way of working. Talk to them to get a feel for if it might work for you.
Thanks for the reply guys. Ah okay, so it really is down to how much you want to commit. How do your employers take it? Did you not tell them about it when entering a new job. I wouldn't want to not get a job due to being a reservist.

Also, quick one. Phase B of the training, can it be done on weekends?

I haven’t changed jobs for a long time, but luckily my employer is very supportive of reserve service (and ex regulars). Whether you choose to tell them is up to you, but if you’d rather not then make sure you tell a grown up - COs like to write to employers and tell them what a good job you’re doing.

Our Phase 2 trade training is usually a mixture of weekends and longer things done over two weeks as your annual collective training commitment.

Snapper 25

Clanker
I think you have to tell your employer, if not you would be best to as they pay your mortgage/ rent.
Phase 1 alpha can be done on weekends. Bravo has to be done on a 16 day camp.

Work 0700 to 1830 daily with a 1 hour commute either side (violins on cue). Friday afternoon pack kit and stare out the minibus windows at scenes of wine women and song at pubs before reaching a dark and remote barracks/training area. Sunday afternoon get home do washing and repeat the above.

Reach work on Monday morning strangely elated - like having just finished vomiting - but tired and listening to your co workers fresh faced and having spent a weekend on the pish/sofa. All the while remembering you’re just a STAB - the regulars will despise you and ‘civilians’ (LOL) will not understand you. Look at your payslip to realise you are being paid substantially less than the minimum wage on an hourly basis.

Latest Threads