A weapons virgin goes to the range

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
What he didn't say, but I'm sure weas thinking was "Oh my, I think I got a bit of a lob on when I fired the Browning".

What a limp-wristed git. Awful bit of reporting. Also terrible editing as they left out the last 5 mins of the shoot where the Range Wardens dragged him back out of the coach and used him as a target.

Hightlights included him saying 'we're basically killing people' to which someone said 'no. we're shooting at targets.' With great wisdom he remarked in reply 'oh yeah.'
Also when the LSW was introduced to him he said 'light support is that for when you're on the move?' No. It doesnt mean that. you're thinking of roller skates or something you buffoon. Infantry on the move? Who'd have thought hey?

I think and hope the sight smacked his face which was quite satisfying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I detect afaint hint of hostility in your post Deputy?

A nice quote in the comments section by the journo who took part in the range day in responce to some obvious Guardinista comments:

As for the armed services, I give them my full support in whatever they're asked to do. Of course they are just as human as you and i. My concern is that we, as the public, are becoming ever more removed from the world they are forced to inhabit.
There are quite a few 'guns are evil' and armed forces are murderers' type comments. It's a shame that they don't realise that the only reason they have the life and lifestyle they have is because of people who can and do use weapons as an essential part of their work.

"I've been doing this for 36 years and have never had an accident on the range..."

Cue shot of ambulance passing behind crowd. Quality scaremongering!

Obviously no time was made available to instruct on how to hold a pistol properly. Haven't seen a 'Hollywood grip' for quite some time.

Who the fuck was that on the firing point with his smock hood up FFS?!!!! Creature.

And apparently only SF shoot people in the head. Good stuff.

M

Mr_Tigger

Our hero responds to a comment in order to explain why people enjoy competitive shooting: “@RickNToronto … I reckon it's more John Rambo, John McClane and other Johns with big weapons”.

For all my experience with firearms I don’t feel qualified to respond to that. From his manner and bearing I think the old chap knows far more about “Johns with big weapons” than I ever will. So I for one am just glad to have been given the chance to make up for my inadequacies by shooting holes in cardboard while muttering angry things about all those people that have been rude to me since I was at school.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
OK he was playing to the camera and his (lefty) audience but is that how most people think? I suppose it puts into context the daft questions about whether or not they give you a real gun with real bullets etc...

What a limp-wristed git. Awful bit of reporting. Also terrible editing as they left out the last 5 mins of the shoot where the Range Wardens dragged him back out of the coach and used him as a target.

Hightlights included him saying 'we're basically killing people' to which someone said 'no. we're shooting at targets.' With great wisdom he remarked in reply 'oh yeah.'
Also when the LSW was introduced to him he said 'light support is that for when you're on the move?' No. It doesnt mean that. you're thinking of roller skates or something you buffoon. Infantry on the move? Who'd have thought hey?

I think and hope the sight smacked his face which was quite satisfying.
That's the second time in 24hrs that I've agreed with you Mr D. Are you free tomorrow night for some love action - we're on the same wavelength?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the reporters is called "Butts". Snigger!

Imagine how much it would have been if he'd taken a round or two?

Why did you shoot him?

I was told to fire it into the Butts?
Might have been more realistic if it had been a two way range. But hats off to H4H for finding a good way to raise more dosh.

Doesn't look as if much H4H cash was spent on patches & paste!

Intrigueed that Terry Christian still looks so young & is now working for the Guardian & glad that Henno could spare some time from saving the world to instruct on the pistol range...

"I've been doing this for 36 years and have never had an accident on the range..."

Cue shot of ambulance passing behind crowd. Quality scaremongering!
Ta, missed that. They must have rehearsed it for days.

Around 1:34. "......never had an accident on the range..."

Gunshot.

Enter ambulance stage left.

I was amazed by the amount of angst, moralizing and wibbling he managed to fit in around popping off a few rounds. He will probably need a counsellor now to deal with his guilt.

Ignorance is king ! Why on earth some of these people feel that they become a potential killer simply by touching or holding a piece of cold metal/wood/plastic is beyond me. Maybe its something they know about themselves which is hidden deep inside and which they feel uncomfortable with ?
Years ago I was chatting with a secretary at a former workplace about the Jill Dando murder, and we got into whether she might`ve stood a better chance of defending herself if she`d had a pocket pistol in her handbag, at which point my boss walked in and stated 'No that would`ve made things worse'. Quite how I`m not sure as Miss Dando died, how the situation could`ve got worse eluded both the secretary and myself. My Boss` statement summed up a lot of ignorant peoples mentality when it comes to guns.

He's having a crisis of conscience just from firing guns for the experience and marksmanship as a fully grown adult on a charity organised event, imagine the outrage if he ever found out that cadets aged 13 and up fire assault rifles on a regular basis.