A waste of time and money ?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by do_1, May 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, where to begin...

My PC died a horrible death. Basically the PSU burned out and took the MB with it, since looking up a few tech forums it turns out that I am not alone with my poorly built emachine.

Rather than go down the immediate route of replacing the MB and PSU I bought a new machine and I am now left with the burnt out carcass of a PC.

What I want to ask the techno-buffs is this.

a. How much hassle am I going to give myself recovering the old machine ?

b. Do I cut my losses and rape the MB of useful components and keep them as hot swapables ?

There are a few factors that have come out from other forums on the tinter..

Emachine original restore disks do not work if one of the following components change. MB, CPU or Optical reader. So as well as a new MB I will require new OS. Is there a way around this ?

I am no tech wizard, but I like to dabble a bit and if I can recover it I will without chucking money into a black hole, to that end....

Thoughts/advice please :D
  2. Although your restore disks dont work - on you emachines OEM version of Windows - you do hold a licence for your OS. If you can install from a borrowed disk, using your product key from the sticker on the machine, your legal.

If you need to recover data from the old HDD you can either install it in the new machine as a second drive or put it into an external caddy. You can then read the drive to remove data.

As for recovering the old machine it depends what you need and what the PSU failure has taken with it. Are you sure it hasnt screwed over the CPU and RAM or any of the attached cards? You can buy MB/Chip/RAM bundles quite cheaply on ebay that could be installed to bring the machine to life and very reasonable if you go for the lower end of the market. You'll need a new PSU, some good value ones on http://www.ebuyer.co.uk.
  3. msr

msr LE

a) Not a lot, it isn't hard to connect your old HDD to your new machine - but you did have a regular back-up right?

b) Probably not, as the newer machine may well have higher specification components on its motherboard

I would recommend taking out the old HDD and giving away the carcass here: http://www.freecycle.org

Unless you have your heart set on getting it going again, which which case, advertise for a new PSU et al on the same site ;)

4. Thanks guys, some good points there especially about the registration key and connecting the old HD. I will probably go down the route of sourcing a new MB from the bay, the only issue I have with that is how does "jumper" settings work and bringing everything together with BIOS, i.e. is it as easy as pop the disk in and boot up in safe mode?
  5. If your going to install a new motherboard etc, it is possible to just boot the old xp from the HDD and then work through any problems it finds. Jumper settings shouldnt be a problem, its rare to have to change any these days. The most difficult thing you will have to do is work out the right pin connections for the power switch, hdd light etc (and theres always a guide in the MB manual).

As a starter for 10 go into your BIOS and, if its made by Award, set it to Optimised defaults. This will give you a level playing field for the first time you boot. You may have to disable any onboard graphics or sound if you have separate cards. Apart from that, when xp is booted install any of the drivers that came with the board.

Personally, i would do a clean install of XP on a new MB. But thats just me - like i say it is possible to upgrade the hardware and not change the OS.
  6. Cheers Boney

I will let you know how I get on when I get off my fat arrse to do it.
  7. The HDD interface standard has changed in the last couple of years from Ultra ATA to SATA which means a completely different cable.

If you have the older type of disk, you can buy an enclosure that will take the HDD and interface it with the USB port to give you an external disk for backups. Try Maplin.

The standards are changing so quickly that I would be surprised if anything else was remotely useable!