A waste of prison space?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grubby Bum III, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This in the Telegraph today:

Serial thief finally jailed after 207 offences laughs off her sentence as 'cushty' - Telegraph

Is it even worth sending this excuse of a human being to prison - it will clearly be a waste of time and money, simply providing her with bed and board at the taxpayer's expense, and freeing her to offend again on her release.

The numbers of people of this state of mind are growing - is there an alternative form of punishment to prison which would teach them the error of their ways?
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Simple - build more jails and introduce the 3 strikes rule - 3rd imprisonable offence means life. And life means life.

And for all those who bleat about the cost - is it any less expensive to keep these people in housing benefit and the dole?
  3. I wonder if she has ever been given any sort of order to receive drug treatment? The more accessible drug treatment is the less crime they commit.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yes
  5. Bouillabaisse

Well I for one would pay the extra. At least in jail they can't breed. It might not help me but at least my children won't have to pay to keep their children on the dole
  6. "The numbers of people of this state of mind are growing - is there an alternative form of punishment to prison which would teach them the error of their ways? "

Que lots of moaning about bringing back hanging etc etc.

Harsh regimes don't seem to be a deterent (look at America) too be fair by the time someone goes to prison it's too late, prisons are rammed full of drug addicts and mental health cases.
  7. It may be more expensive to have someone in prison than to pay their benefits but that calculation does not take into account the costs of their ongoing criminal activity.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. You just want to lock people up or stop them needed to be locked up? Prison suspends the problem.
  9. I will never forget the Scrote who tried to laugh of his sentence at the Magistrates and got it raised from three Months to two years before he realised it was being doubled every time he cracked a joke.
    I think he quite when he sussed the next stop was over three years and would involve a trip to the Crown Court!

Now if he had sought my advice, instead of his brain dead mates in the gallery with me, I would have mentioned my Mother (AKA The Magistrate) was known to her loved ones, when I lived under the parental roof, as Attila the Hun for a reason.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Yes and so the prolific offenders are released almost on a rota basis, the crime rate soars, the police lock them up again and again and again. They are detoxed in prison, released, locked up, detoxed again and again and again. Long term methadone maintenance reduces crime, reduces drug use and some of them get jobs and pay taxes.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Birch,Cat O Nine,Stocks,Gibbet,Solitary Confinement,Branding,Shackling,Nose Slitting,Hand Chopping,The Wrack,The Wheel,Iron Maiden,Taring and Feathering,,,,,,,The list is endless..
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Bouillabaisse

Hence the 3 strikes rule - 2 opportunities to reform then away for life. Even if it's shoplifting a biro from Smiths. If you're too stupid to learn your lesson then you're a permenant threat to the law-abiding and should be removed from society.
    • Like Like x 1

13. Weren't they going to hand out free junk on the NHS in the 60's, but the Yanks put on huge pressure on the government to drop it?

It would make sense to me... buy direct from Afghan farmers and process it.

If you want to be a junkie, sign up, go to the local centre, fix up in front of a witness then stumble back home, without needing to steal or prostitute yourself.

It would also kill off the "glamour" of being an outlaw, making them look like the sad buggers they are.

It isn't the junk that kills per se, plus a programme could be implemented to get off, or stay a junkie if that's really what you want....
  14. Guess what they continue to use drugs in prison, the drugs cost more, so they commit more crime or get others to commit crime and send money in. If the prisons have poor regimes with bored prisoners, then some people who weren't using drugs i've seen to start.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pain is the best teacher, but no one wants to take his class. Singapore-style corporal punishment is worth trying. Persistent but "low level" offender? Take the skin of their back/arse and see if they feel like re-offending anytime soon.

Oh, and compulsory sterilization: we need some chlorine in the Gene Pool.
    • Like Like x 2