Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A visit to an Israeli boneyard

Tree huggers in Israel? Judging by Gurgel Urf the Izzies don't have huge numbers of forrests. I can imagine the tree huggers queuing up to hug the one and only tree in the neighbourhood.
They do have quite a few olive trees there in Israel...if only there was an offering of an olive branch on all sides involved...

The engine was a development of a British engine from the 50s. All jet engines in those days were very noisy, be thankful they weren't equipped with reheat, that makes a donk even noisier, a lot noisier. Or as the Cloggies used to say "jet noise, the sound of freedom".

One morning last April I had 2 F15s doing mock dogfighting only hundreds of feet above my office (rehearsing for independence day) The noise was insane as they were using afterburners but still nothing as bad as those Skyhawks. I suppose your location relative to the plane has some bearing too but anyway.... I'll look for the pics it was pretty impressive.
The stupid bar stewards didn't announce the rehearsal and it was on a week where we thought Iran might kick off with us - frightened the sh*t out of a good few Tel Avivians.

Can we import them to Germany? We have a lot of sick trees here that could use some TLC.
I used to deliver Wind Turbine blades from Germany (Vestas). I showed a photo of some turbines they've got in Germany to a Environmentalist I know, christ I thought she was going to have heart failure the way she reacted.....

This was taken using a compact with x4 zoom lens. I also cropped a bit afterwards.

F15s 1a.jpg
F15s 6.jpg
F15s 3a.jpg

Last edited:
@loofkar - what do they do with the old tanks, Centurions, M48/60s, T54/55/62, etc?
Well the ones they haven't converted into heavy APCs that is. Store or scrap 'em? What happened to the halftracks?

found some Cent pics from the Golan

This one is at Tel Saki war memorial, which is also a fortified position that was surrounded by the Syrians in 1973.
DSCN1444.jpg

at a firing ramp in an area used for grazing
DSCN1352.jpg
DSCN1356.jpg

I reckon you can see traces of the original UK paint on this one (Mt. Hermon in the background)
20180930_101205.jpg

another at a fortified emplacement, did someone just who mention wind turbines?
DSCN8286.jpg

DSCN8343.jpg

The stupid bar stewards didn't announce the rehearsal and it was on a week where we thought Iran might kick off with us - frightened the sh*t out of a good few Tel Avivians.
If IDF pilots are anything like RAF pilots there may have been a touche of malice afore thought involved.
Perish the thought, they'd never do anything like that, and laugh their bits off afterwards.

found some Cent pics from the Golan

This one is at Tel Saki war memorial, which is also a fortified position that was surrounded by the Syrians in 1973.
View attachment 416890
at a firing ramp in an area used for grazing
View attachment 416891View attachment 416892

I reckon you can see traces of the original UK paint on this one (Mt. Hermon in the background)
View attachment 416893

another at a fortified emplacement, did someone just who mention wind turbines?View attachment 416894

View attachment 416897
The flag in the top picture looks like it's been through the wars a bit or do you have strong winds in that part of the world?

If IDF pilots are anything like RAF pilots there may have been a touche of malice afore thought involved.
Perish the thought, they'd never do anything like that, and laugh their bits off afterwards.

The decision and approval would have been from elements well up the COC from just the pilots.

Last edited:
The flag in the top picture looks like it's been through the wars a bit or do you have strong winds in that part of the world?

Observant of you - yes its on the southern Golan heights, 600 metres above sea level and windswept. The wind is strong and tends to be constant (the photo was taken in very good weather but you can see the effect of the breeze on the flag). It's a rather oversized flag too.

Last edited:
Oh I dont know, The Syrian BTR-152 doesnt look like Syrian Army kept it servicable

I don't know about that particular one but Israel captured a load of 152s in 67 or 73 and a good few of them were used for security / defense purposes in the rear. As late as the 1990s they could be seen parked at Allenby Camp Border Police base in Southern Jerusalem.

I don't know about that particular one but Israel captured a load of 152s in 67 or 73 and a good few of them were used for security / defense purposes in the rear. As late as the 1990s they could be seen parked at Allenby Camp Border Police base in Southern Jerusalem.
Waste not, want not.

The Israeli Society For Protection of Nature was founded in 1953. It does great work together with its great rival, The Nature Reserves Authority.

Eli Cohen, the Israeli intelligence operative was a keen on trees. When he was undercover in Syria he managed to blag a tour of the Golan Heights with a Syrian army pal. As well as collecting intelligence on the Syrian fortifications there he saved a lot of lives in the up coming Six Day war. He feigned sympathy for the Syrian soldiers exposed to the sun and had trees planted at every position, ostensibly placed to provide shade. When the Six day war came along the IDF used them as targeting markers. This sped things up no end.

I saw a few of the T-55s 'hull down' near the Litani River in 2006. As I was observing them a LAF 4 tonner disappeared in a flash/bang about 400m from my position. A few seconds later the offending IDF pilot flew over head but I had dropped face down in the mire at that moment so didn't actually see aircraft.

We were aiming to get to Ayta ash-Sha'b where the IDF had made a bit of a bollocks of things but the chances of our vehicle getting hit by IDF aircraft were too high so we buggered off back to Beirut!