A visit to an Israeli boneyard

@loofkar - what do they do with the old tanks, Centurions, M48/60s, T54/55/62, etc?
Well the ones they haven't converted into heavy APCs that is. Store or scrap 'em? What happened to the halftracks?
found some Cent pics from the Golan

This one is at Tel Saki war memorial, which is also a fortified position that was surrounded by the Syrians in 1973.
DSCN1444.jpg

at a firing ramp in an area used for grazing
DSCN1352.jpg
DSCN1356.jpg

I reckon you can see traces of the original UK paint on this one (Mt. Hermon in the background)
20180930_101205.jpg

another at a fortified emplacement, did someone just who mention wind turbines?
DSCN8286.jpg

DSCN8343.jpg

The stupid bar stewards didn't announce the rehearsal and it was on a week where we thought Iran might kick off with us - frightened the sh*t out of a good few Tel Avivians.
If IDF pilots are anything like RAF pilots there may have been a touche of malice afore thought involved.
Perish the thought, they'd never do anything like that, and laugh their bits off afterwards.

found some Cent pics from the Golan

This one is at Tel Saki war memorial, which is also a fortified position that was surrounded by the Syrians in 1973.
View attachment 416890
at a firing ramp in an area used for grazing
View attachment 416891View attachment 416892

I reckon you can see traces of the original UK paint on this one (Mt. Hermon in the background)
View attachment 416893

another at a fortified emplacement, did someone just who mention wind turbines?View attachment 416894

View attachment 416897
The flag in the top picture looks like it's been through the wars a bit or do you have strong winds in that part of the world?

If IDF pilots are anything like RAF pilots there may have been a touche of malice afore thought involved.
Perish the thought, they'd never do anything like that, and laugh their bits off afterwards.
The decision and approval would have been from elements well up the COC from just the pilots.

Last edited:
The flag in the top picture looks like it's been through the wars a bit or do you have strong winds in that part of the world?
Observant of you - yes its on the southern Golan heights, 600 metres above sea level and windswept. The wind is strong and tends to be constant (the photo was taken in very good weather but you can see the effect of the breeze on the flag). It's a rather oversized flag too.

Last edited:
Its a disgrace, they should look after their planes and tanks better than this, no wonder the A rabs are so angry with them.
Oh I dont know, The Syrian BTR-152 doesnt look like Syrian Army kept it servicable

Oh I dont know, The Syrian BTR-152 doesnt look like Syrian Army kept it servicable
I don't know about that particular one but Israel captured a load of 152s in 67 or 73 and a good few of them were used for security / defense purposes in the rear. As late as the 1990s they could be seen parked at Allenby Camp Border Police base in Southern Jerusalem.

I don't know about that particular one but Israel captured a load of 152s in 67 or 73 and a good few of them were used for security / defense purposes in the rear. As late as the 1990s they could be seen parked at Allenby Camp Border Police base in Southern Jerusalem.
Waste not, want not.

The Israeli Society For Protection of Nature was founded in 1953. It does great work together with its great rival, The Nature Reserves Authority.
Eli Cohen, the Israeli intelligence operative was a keen on trees. When he was undercover in Syria he managed to blag a tour of the Golan Heights with a Syrian army pal. As well as collecting intelligence on the Syrian fortifications there he saved a lot of lives in the up coming Six Day war. He feigned sympathy for the Syrian soldiers exposed to the sun and had trees planted at every position, ostensibly placed to provide shade. When the Six day war came along the IDF used them as targeting markers. This sped things up no end.

I saw a few of the T-55s 'hull down' near the Litani River in 2006. As I was observing them a LAF 4 tonner disappeared in a flash/bang about 400m from my position. A few seconds later the offending IDF pilot flew over head but I had dropped face down in the mire at that moment so didn't actually see aircraft.

We were aiming to get to Ayta ash-Sha'b where the IDF had made a bit of a bollocks of things but the chances of our vehicle getting hit by IDF aircraft were too high so we buggered off back to Beirut!

I saw a few of the T-55s 'hull down' near the Litani River in 2006. As I was observing them a LAF 4 tonner disappeared in a flash/bang about 400m from my position. A few seconds later the offending IDF pilot flew over head but I had dropped face down in the mire at that moment so didn't actually see aircraft.

We were aiming to get to Ayta ash-Sha'b where the IDF had made a bit of a bollocks of things but the chances of our vehicle getting hit by IDF aircraft were too high so we buggered off back to Beirut!
Wise of you not to have done a Jeremy Bowen - in his lust for a scoop got his driver killed by having him drive him onto a hilltop in the middle of a battle next to the Israel Lebanon border.

Wise of you not to have done a Jeremy Bowen - in his lust for a scoop got his driver killed by having him drive him onto a hilltop in the middle of a battle next to the Israel Lebanon border.
Yes, I've spoken with him about the incident. It was an IDF tank that hit the vehicle (a Merc Taxi) with a flechette round. The crew then opened fire on the survivors with a .50. Bowen, his cameraman DC, and a fixer were pinned down briefly. JB will happily admit that it wasn't the best place for a piece to camera.

Edit: Tel Aviv later advised that it was an inexperienced crew.

Eli Cohen, the Israeli intelligence operative was a keen on trees. When he was undercover in Syria he managed to blag a tour of the Golan Heights with a Syrian army pal. As well as collecting intelligence on the Syrian fortifications there he saved a lot of lives in the up coming Six Day war. He feigned sympathy for the Syrian soldiers exposed to the sun and had trees planted at every position, ostensibly placed to provide shade. When the Six day war came along the IDF used them as targeting markers. This sped things up no end.
I have my doubts about this story - it doesn't really make that much sense because Syrian positions were static and were known about anyway (particularly the ones from which the Syrians used to shell Israeli farmers and agricultural communities). Every former British army base in Israel is chock full of Eucalyptus trees (the leaves are a never ending bitch to sweep up....) and they were extensively planted along roadsides in the Huleh valley (which is overlooked by the Golan heights), probably to help screen movement along the roads. They are also handy for helping dry out swampy land, and the Huleh valley is a drained, former swamp. I suspect he may have got the Syrians to plant trees at just a few select places and this became urban legend.

I have my doubts about this story - it doesn't really make that much sense because Syrian positions were static and were known about anyway (particularly the ones from which the Syrians used to shell Israeli farmers and agricultural communities). Every former British army base in Israel is chock full of Eucalyptus trees (the leaves are a never ending bitch to sweep up....) and they were extensively planted along roadsides in the Huleh valley (which is overlooked by the Golan heights), probably to help screen movement along the roads. They are also handy for helping dry out swampy land, and the Huleh valley is a drained, former swamp. I suspect he may have got the Syrians to plant trees at just a few select places and this became urban legend.
Netflix have produced a biopic series of Eli Coen, starring Sacha Barron Coen. It's quite entertaining.

Yes, I've spoken with him about the incident. It was an IDF tank that hit the vehicle (a Merc Taxi) with a flechette round. The crew then opened fire on the survivors with a .50. Bowen, his cameraman DC, and a fixer were pinned down briefly. JB will happily admit that it wasn't the best place for a piece to camera.
The day the IDF performed its surprise withdrawal from Southern Lebanon contained more chaotic episodes than have yet been written about.
As a former infantryman whose brief included the RPG 7 and the crap Dragon ATGM, I think what Bowen did was pure suicide - he ought to have been prosecuted for reckless endangerment of his employees/contractors.
Using a vehicle model commonly used by Hizbollah he had his people drive him out onto land in between opposing forces in the middle of an extremely fluid and unprecedented battle and then had one raise a TV camera to his shoulder, all the while with Israeli Armour in LOS - there was no, is no and never will be a valid excuse for what he did.
His subsequent hysterical accusation against the Israelis for the incident and snide crocodile tears for the driver he got killed was a real eye opener regarding unethical and biased journalists.

Last edited:
Rear view of a scrap M60 turret placed on a berm of a tank firing ramp on the Golan.
1569141142323.png

The day the IDF performed its surprise withdrawal from Southern Lebanon contained more chaotic episodes than have yet been written about.
As a former infantryman whose brief included the RPG 7 and the crap Dragon ATGM, I think what Bowen did was pure suicide - he ought to have been prosecuted for reckless endangerment of his employees/contractors.
Using a vehicle model commonly used by Hizbollah he had his people drive him out onto land in between opposing forces in the middle of a battle and then had one raise a TV camera to his shoulder, all the while with Israeli Armour in LOS - there was no, is no and never will be a valid excuse for what he did.
His ensuing hysterical accusation against the Israelis for the incident taught me a lot about biased journalists.
I'm no fan of the IDF's *tactics as I've seen the results of the 'knock on the door' in a largely Christian village, from where Hez had launched a rocket. However you're not wrong that Bowen's was a foolhardy act.

There have been other similar incidents where cameramen have shouldered their cameras to film IDF vehicles and received a flechette round for their trouble. (An AP cameraman filmed his own demise).
I wasn't there and haven't seen the lay of the land but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been happy to do what they did.

That said we all screw up: When we filming at the Litani River we heard an IDF helicopter - my correspondent asked me to film it but before I could pick up the camera our Brit security bloke robustly vetoed the idea.

*James Miller's shooting was out and out murder

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure that his remorse for Abed's death is genuine and one of the triggers for his PTSD.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of the IDF's *tactics as I've seen the results of the 'knock on the door' in a largely Christian village, from where Hez had launched a rocket. However you're not wrong that Bowen's a foolhardy act.
There have been other similar incidents where cameramen have shouldered their cameras to film IDF vehicles and received a flechette round for their trouble. (An AP cameraman filmed his own demise).
I wasn't there and haven't seen the lay of the land but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been happy to do what they did.
That said we all screw up: When we filming at the Litani River we heard an IDF helicopter - my correspondent asked me to film it but before I could pick up the camera our Brit security bloke robustly vetoed the idea.
*James Miller's shooting was out and out murder
The AP camera man in Gaza? That was some kind of airburst munition rather than flechette (the smoke is visible at the top of the picture). In the world of Javelins and Spikes, lifting a TV camera to your shoulder in a combat scenario in LOS with armour is asking for trouble - ask any tankie.
Your Brit security bloke did great work.
I had the pleasure of spending time in Lebanese villages towns and cities from El-Adeissa to Jounieh, especially when we kicked out the PLO in 1982. I met some nice people and I am convinced that the majority of people want to get on with their lives rather than engage in terrorism.
Responsibility for the kind of incident you describe rests entirely with the Lebanese government, which for reasons known best to itself, provided/s a base for an Iranian proxy to attack Israel - in 2006 an attack of huge proportions.

Recruit koala bears?:)
in basic we had to sweep and sweep and burn the piles of leaves. They burn merrily, I suppose due to oil content? Anyway one time I was there when a live cartridge must have been in the pile of leaves, a young squaddie was lucky to get off with a scratch to his neck...

Latest Threads