A visit to an Israeli boneyard

An insight into life on a Dvora patrol vessel of the IN - in Hebrew I'm afraid but may still be of interest to some. The commander, a 23 year old captain, is the only female commander of an IN vessel.

There are more on the bridge than there were on the balcony FFS!

we do a very nice line in awacs
You certainly do. I think this recently delivered beastie, called an Oron, may have the same capabilities as two previous different types of G550, the Eitam (AWACS/AEW) and the Shavit (Sigint).

1619034856296.png

In my day I met various squaddies from other countries whose Hebrew was sketchy, sometimes very sketchy. Even I failed the Hebrew test required to be eligible for officers course.
The question is whether you could have joined up at all, since to become a citizen (and therefore liable to be called up for military service), you would need to have a Jewish parent (AFAIK).
Yes. This is where my attempt failed.
The Embassy sent me a charming letter, a copy of the statistics current at the time (including the unemployment figures) and a photocopy of two pages from a law textbook explaining the Law of Return.
It was suggested that I try a kibbutz and then try for citizenship, but I didn't fancy three years of farming only to then be refused, National Service being mandatory for Jews and Druzes, voluntary for Christians and Muslims. I knew someone who emigrated to Israel after changing his name and claiming a Jewish maternal grandmother; however, I didn't want to resort to deceit.

Yes. This is where my attempt failed.
The Embassy sent me a charming letter, a copy of the statistics current at the time (including the unemployment figures) and a photocopy of two pages from a law textbook explaining the Law of Return.
It was suggested that I try a kibbutz and then try for citizenship, but I didn't fancy three years of farming only to then be refused, National Service being mandatory for Jews and Druzes, voluntary for Christians and Muslims. I knew someone who emigrated to Israel after changing his name and claiming a Jewish maternal grandmother; however, I didn't want to resort to deceit.

When I went to Israel in 1978 it was not generally considered an attractive place to emigrate to. The Soviet Union was still preventing most Jews from emigrating and the Israeli economy wasn't particularly strong. Add to that the periodic outbreaks of war etc and you can see why people didn't view it as attractive.
That has completely changed. Now the situation is the opposite really.

I lived on Kibbutz myself and know not a few people who stayed / married kibbutz girls.
That's usually the background story of Israeli citizens/squaddies you meet whose surname is prefixed by Mc or O'.....

Last edited:
When I went to Israel in 1978 it was not generally considered an attractive place to emigrate to. The Soviet Union was still preventing most Jews from emigrating and the Israeli economy wasn't particularly strong. Add to that the periodic outbreaks of war etc and you can see why people didn't view it as attractive.
That has completely changed. Now the situation is the opposite really.

I lived on Kibbutz myself and know not a few people who stayed / married kibbutz girls.
That's usually the background story of Israeli citizens/squaddies you meet whose surname is prefixed by Mc or O'.....
Early 1980s for me.
The volunteer status, I felt, placed me at risk of being refused; I naively thought that I could have reasoned that having 50% of the normal issue of working eyes was something I could argue about at interview by invoking Moshe Dayan.

I did say 'sod this' when, having left my first college with no job prospects, I went to the bank expecting to find the lion's share of a one way air fare to find nothing. So I found something else to do.
Florence Nightingale was wrong; Samuel Johnson was right.

I took these over 7 years ago but FB "reminded" me of them this morning.
A birds nest in the rear telephone box of an abandoned Centurion on the Golan Heights.
The village in the distance is Rafeed.

Attachments

• 1556470_10152116978040749_3752351445666116095_o.jpg
    1556470_10152116978040749_3752351445666116095_o.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 10317834_10152116977255749_9080982011188006057_o.jpg
    10317834_10152116977255749_9080982011188006057_o.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 920009_10152116977515749_4626108934017388716_o.jpg
    920009_10152116977515749_4626108934017388716_o.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 67
I took these over 7 years ago but FB "reminded" me of them this morning.
A birds nest in the rear telephone box of an abandoned Centurion on the Golan Heights.
The village in the distance is Rafeed.
Looking at that VRN, I’m wondering with a bit of careful cleaning if our VRN wasn’t underneath that IDF one.

Jacl

Old-Salt
While I was looking at a youtube video on the Mosquito I found this,

Yom Kippur war, most of it is computer graphics with some archive material. Perhaps most interesting are the interviews with those who were there at the time. The best bit is near the end at 45:45 an Arab commentator mentioned that the war ended with a disappointment, he means they got hammered, but that Syria will one day get back the Golan Heights. All they have to do is convince Chaim, Moshe, David et al. That should be fun.

PS. With around 600 Syrian tanks destroyed that should be plenty of material for the boneyard or an enterprising scrappy.

While I was looking at a youtube video on the Mosquito I found this,

Yom Kippur war, most of it is computer graphics with some archive material. Perhaps most interesting are the interviews with those who were there at the time. The best bit is near the end at 45:45 an Arab commentator mentioned that the war ended with a disappointment, he means they got hammered, but that Syria will one day get back the Golan Heights. All they have to do is convince Chaim, Moshe, David et al. That should be fun.

PS. With around 600 Syrian tanks destroyed that should be plenty of material for the boneyard or an enterprising scrappy.

If you're interested in hearing it directly from one of the battalion commanders involved in the Golan Heights battle, these videos may be of interest. Unfortunately Lt Col Danon's spoken English is not as good as his prowess in battle, so his lectures here, to visiting British officers are not the easiest things to listen to. (I'm posting the 3 videos together here because they'd be impossible to find for a non-Hebrew speaker).

Last edited:
Please excuse the question, but if Israel was not so attractive back then, why emigrate there?

I said it wasn't generally considered attractive. To me it was like.... the promised land.
I was 18, with no interest in "settling down". I liked the idea of serving as a para in the IDF, living on a kibbutz, playing a part in the return to the homeland, considering all the problems my people had encountered outside of it.
Obviously the other crucial factor was the local talent. After encountering it on my first vist there at age 14, I barely managed to think about anything else.

Last edited:
I said it wasn't generally considered attractive. To me it was like.... the promised land.
I was 18, with no interest in "settling down". I liked the idea of serving as a para in the IDF, living on a kibbutz, playing a part in the return to the homeland, considering all the problems my people had encountered outside of it.
Obviously the other crucial factor was the local talent. After encountering it on my first vist there at age 14, I barely managed to think about anything else.
Some tidy tackle in the IDF.

What do you do with all the gear the Arabs leave behind, I'm talking about the stuff you haven't'
turned to scraped already,

I think that the last time they donated materiel en masse was in June 1982.
For a while IDF units in Lebanon were using "liberated" Toyota 4x4s and Land Rovers. I saw numerous formerly Syrian T's, BMPs, BTRs and also a ZSU23-4 Shilka being carted off to the south on semitrailers - don't know what became of them.

Last edited:
I think that the last time they donated materiel en masse was in June 1982.
For a while IDF units in Lebanon were using "liberated" Toyota 4x4s and Land Rovers. I saw numerous formerly Syrian T's, BMPs, BTRs and also a ZSU23-4 being carted off to the south on semitrailers - don't know what became of them.
Didn't they give a load of captured kit to the SLA?