A visit to an Israeli boneyard

Last but not least, you're a nutter? You seem a bit saner than some of the posters here.

Well I have to admit that on the second day of the Lebanon war during a Syrian stonk, we were holed up in our APC in an open field and the scream of the shells was quite unnerving (it is an urban myth that you don't hear the scream of the shell that hits you), because you didn't know where it was going to fall. It was at that point, (and I clearly remember this) I thought to myself "You could have been in London now in the peace and quiet, you actually came here and got involved in this - you mad f*cker."

Well I have to admit that on the second day of the Lebanon war during a Syrian stonk, we were holed up in our APC in an open field and the scream of the shells was quite unnerving (it is an urban myth that you don't hear the scream of the shell that hits you), because you didn't know where it was going to fall. It was at that point, (and I clearly remember this) I thought to myself "You could have been in London now in the peace and quiet, you actually came here and got involved in this - you mad f*cker."
I suspect that one or two others thought something similar, just replace London with some other European or North American city.

IDF has a new personal camo system

You forgot ‘**** it! Stag on!’

Manufacturers video?

No mention of the manufacturer so may be an IDF vid.
Ta.
Forgot to mention in my first post, it's a gash video anyway, can't see anything.
Must go, taxi's waiting.

Very unusual sight of IDF using captured M-46 130mm artillery pieces against Syria in 1974. My company reached an abandoned battery of Syrian M-46s in 1982 (the breeches had been spiked). The Syrians thoughtfully left some us some unused combat rations, whence I discovered that Morocco produces the best tinned sardines, as well as an unopened bottle of Al-Rayan Arak.

Last edited:
whence I discovered that Morocco makes the best tinned sardines
About the only place that does that now, at least they're about the only ones available on the german market.

PS. The French make something similar to Al-Rayan Arak, gopping to say the least.

About the only place that does that now, at least they're about the only ones available on the german market.

PS. The French make something similar to Al-Rayan Arak, gopping to say the least.

Until that tasting session by courtesy of the Syrian army, I'd only seen sardines from Portugal.

Until that tasting session by courtesy of the Syrian army, I'd only seen sardines from Portugal.
The joke being that they're all caught in the Atlantic anyway.

אתה עדיין באנגליה?

I didn't know or care much about alcohol in those days but I remember after we eventually bivvied on the shore of Lake Qaroun I opened the bottle and tried it - I certainly wouldn't have thought to recommend it to anyone.

Some of the best Arak is made in Lebanon, notably in or around Zahle.

a rather good shot of one of the Syrian Mk4s in a position captured by the IDF in 1967.

140575132_1113903905720432_8123327697327313921_o.jpg

And an informative video, which may already have been posted on Arrse, in whic case-sorry.

a rather good shot of one of the Syrian Mk4s in a position captured by the IDF in 1967.

View attachment 541728

And an informative video, which may already have been posted on Arrse, in whic case-sorry.
Interesting comment at 1:14, tanks cobbled together creating Frankenstein tanks! The mind boggles.
Further interesting comment at 1:31, France wanting to maintain good relations to both Syria and Israel, and supplied arms to both. With friends like that.....

Last edited:
Well, there is that. I seem to recall that the Argentine Air Force had only 5 working Exocets during the Falkland's War and could not by any more from France when the war kicked off. Supposedly the French also shared with the British the secrets of the Exocet and how it could be defeated too.

I seem to recall mention of the BBC doing some work for the Argies as well