A visit to an Israeli boneyard

Come late September I should have a more interesting contribution to make to this thread. About 100 ks south and bit west of here the Belgians have a training area of sorts, stuck on a roundabout nearby is an old SPG, no idea what model or make. So next time we go to Bütgenbach lake I'll get a photo or three of the thing.
I find it interesting that the Belgians stick something like that on a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, absolutely unthinkable in Germany, the snowflakes wouldn't just have a melt down, they'd vapourise.

Come late September I should have a more interesting contribution to make to this thread. About 100 ks south and bit west of here the Belgians have a training area of sorts, stuck on a roundabout nearby is an old SPG, no idea what model or make. So next time we go to Bütgenbach lake I'll get a photo or three of the thing.
I find it interesting that the Belgians stick something like that on a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, absolutely unthinkable in Germany, the snowflakes wouldn't just have a melt down, they'd vapourise.
Belgian boneyard kind of rolls off the tongue.

You should visit here if you like that kind of thing.
Someone on a forum snapped this sad sight today - those REOs are truly amazing

117543010_3588907471133750_1224191982825637749_o.jpg

Pikeys nicked the wheels?
Stripped of their assets by the army workshop they are now on their way to the knacker's yard.
Because the US provided them under military aid, they cannot be sold on - they have to be destroyed.
Powerful (and very uncomfortable) beasts, the snarl of their engine and sparks flying out of the exhaust at night are unforgettable.

Last edited:
Powerful (and very uncomfortable) beasts, the snarl of their engine and sparks flying out of the exhaust at night are unforgettable.
Sparks flying out of a tanker containing flammable liquids? :eek: Lack of comfort would be the least of my worries.

Because the US provided them under military aid, they cannot be sold on
We had a similar problem trying to get rid of the last F4 from Wildenrath in Feb 92. We wanted to donate it to the Czech Air Force Museum in Kbely, Prague. Uncle Sam said no, which was being a bit necky seeing as the weapon system and engines were all Brit. Eventually Uncle Sam agreed and that F4 can now be seen in the Czech museum. Incidentally we got a Fulcrum in exchange, and the Czechs did not give a flying f**k what the Sovs thought about it.

Sparks flying out of a tanker containing flammable liquids? :eek: Lack of comfort would be the least of my worries.
See the exhaust pipe high to the right of the cabin? One summer night we rode on tthe back of a flatbed REO without a canvas cover and it was then that I saw the sparks. Hitherto I'd never noticed the phenomenon.

We had a similar problem trying to get rid of the last F4 from Wildenrath in Feb 92. We wanted to donate it to the Czech Air Force Museum in Kbely, Prague. Uncle Sam said no, which was being a bit necky seeing as the weapon system and engines were all Brit. Eventually Uncle Sam agreed and that F4 can now be seen in the Czech museum. Incidentally we got a Fulcrum in exchange, and the Czechs did not give a flying f**k what the Sovs thought about it.
Most septics don't care either but as long as it's on his shift, the person responsible has to make sure that the process is done by the book.
As a colleague (really cool guy who'd been 2ic of a Marine armour battalion in GW1 and knew all the organizational BS) once put it "Just have to make sure that it doesn't turn up on e-bay after disposal".

Most septics don't care either but as long as it's on his shift, the person responsible has to make sure that the process is done by the book.
As a colleague (really cool guy who'd been 2ic of a Marine armour battalion in GW1 and knew all the organizational BS) once put it "Just have to make sure that it doesn't turn up on e-bay after disposal".
With weapons or weapons systems there's the End User Certificate, that means the buyer cannot dispose of to a third party without the first sellers agreement. That's to stop dodgy deals via straw men to an undesireable third party.

I used to teach Mil comms stuff . Also used to trawl the Internet for the kind of kit I taught to see if you could buy it.

Ebay about 15 years ago , a Canadian was selling a KG84, on looking And reading the link it was just the outer shell.

Also Briefed in 2010 on a US Navy chap working in a depot who found a box of “stuff“ that had ”been there for years” and was just picking up dust. So he took it home and started selling the items on E-bay.

Next day a loud knock at the door and some large chaps from Navy Security / Comms / Shore Patrol walk in and take him away for a , well bit more than a talk without coffee .

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
O
On the way to Liege from Brussels there is a fighter plane in the middle of a roundabout, mind you there are knocking shops either side of the road, so perhaps no one has noticed it yet

I like the Belgians ( both versions ) .......

Anyone who has taken part in "Tanks in Town" at Mons will attest to the Belgians happy disregard for many elf an safety type rules ..

All drivers are breathalysed before the event on the Sunday as Saturday night is party night....... the irony is part of the event is a stop at a house where copious amounts of beer are handed out FOC by the US contingent of SHAPE......this is consumed by thirsty tank crews and police motorcycle riders alike before we all mount up and drive Tanks through the crowded streets of Mons into the town square again full of spectators..... park up and go to a restaurant for steak and beers before getting back into the tank in the now near dusk ( possibly later ) before driving back through the streets some K,s to our Hotel......this normally involves driving past the main gate of SHAPE in a Sherman flat out ....... not a hair is turned as we merrily roar through the streets setting off car alarms......often towing another broken down vehicle.....

Imagine doing that in the UK ;-)

I saw that when we were up there for a battlefield tour. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an M108 SP 105mm Howitzer. Same sort of thing as the RA's Abbott Gun and from much the same era - 1960s to 1980s. I think it's the same basic chassis as the M109 SP 155mm, but with a smaller gun and nowhere near as common (the Belgians stuck with them longer than most). I think it was there as a memorial to the Battle of the Bulge, even though it's a post-war AFV.

I saw that when we were up there for a battlefield tour. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an M108 SP 105mm Howitzer. Same sort of thing as the RA's Abbott Gun and from much the same era - 1960s to 1980s. I think it's the same basic chassis as the M109 SP 155mm, but with a smaller gun and nowhere near as common (the Belgians stuck with them longer than most). I think it was there as a memorial to the Battle of the Bulge, even though it's a post-war AFV.
Thanks for that. Once again Arrse has proved to be a fountain of knowledge. Not being ex tankie, arty, inf or anything else at the sharp end I have little knowledge of such things.
I wonder what its scrap value would be, just curious.

Not even tuna ?! Is this all dietary requirements now ?
Even Moses gave the Israelites quail.
I think that the clue is in the word vegan, ie no meat, no fish, no insects, just plants. Judging by the tins of beans then I would not want to be downwind of whoever consumed that lot. :(

Latest Threads