A visit to an Israeli boneyard

Always wanted a cabby in one of these.

This would sit nicely on the back of a pick up for driving around the Dallas road complex.
If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of the museum at the side of Coventry airport, then they have the one which BAe took on in a bid to offer upgrades to the type. They often open the front cockpit up and have the cabin open.

I appreciate that Coventry may not be particularly high up your list of forthcoming day trips, but mention it just in case you ever...

Many moons ago I lived there

We later visited a kibbutz between there and the Golan heights where I had lunch in the communal dining hall. They showed me the rather pockmarked self armoured tractor they had to use when working in fields overlooked by the heights, from which bored/evil Syrian f**kwits would take pot shots at people working below.
The IDF reserve Major who was showing me around, actually took me up the heights to show me some of the defensive works his lot, the Golani Brigade, had had to overcome.
Brave men!!

TamtamPWRR

War Hero
AFAIK the only aircraft we actually captured was a Syrian Gazelle in 1982. There was also an Iraq Mig 21 that defected to us and a Syrian Mig 23.
Israeli companies have done quite a few contracts where a country's Migs and Hinds were upgraded with modern electronics and sighting systems.

We later visited a kibbutz between there and the Golan heights where I had lunch in the communal dining hall. They showed me the rather pockmarked self armoured tractor they had to use when working in fields overlooked by the heights, from which bored/evil Syrian f**kwits would take pot shots at people working below.
The IDF reserve Major who was showing me around, actually took me up the heights to show me some of the defensive works his lot, the Golani Brigade, had had to overcome.
Brave men!!
They probably showed you Tel Fahar, a really well fortified Syrian emplacement on the high ground. Helluva thing for infantry to have to attack. There is another fortified post a bit to the south called Tel Azaziyat, which the IDF were able to take more easily by surprising it from the rear.
Last time I was there there was still a Syrian Panzerkampfwagen Mk 4 Aus F, with it's turret turned to face the attack from the rear.
You have to see these places, the topography and the proximity of civilian settlements to understand the strategic neccessity of holding on to the land.
Of course, if the neighbours weren't so murderous, including to each other, it mightn't be such a sensitive issue.

Last edited:
The location is adjacent to Israel Aircraft Industries. They may be related to testing and upgrade work after the fall of the Iron curtain.
I thought I detected East German markings on one jet.

Tyk

LE
I'm a bit surprised to see a few obviously Russian built aircraft, captured one assumes.
They probably showed you Tel Fahar, a really well fortified Syrian emplacement on the high ground. Helluva thing for infantry to have to attack. There is another fortified post a bit to the south called Tel Azaziyat, which the IDF were able to take more easily by surprising it from the rear.
Last time I was there there was still a Syrian Panzerkampfwagen Mk 4 Aus F, with it's turret turned to face the attack from the rear.
You have to see these places, the topography and the proximity of civilian settlements to understand the strategic neccessity ofholding on to the land.
Of course, if the neighbours weren't so murderous, including to each other, it mightn't be such a sensitive issue.
I've heard a few things about those wars and seen some photographs of the emplacements taken, the lads and lasses that did the fighting were made of some damn stern stuff to take the positions.
I guess they were well motivated which is quite understandable, but it would need massive amounts of guts and not a tiny measure of skill.

I'm a bit surprised to see a few obviously Russian built aircraft, captured one assumes.

see post

I've heard a few things about those wars and seen some photographs of the emplacements taken, the lads and lasses that did the fighting were made of some damn stern stuff to take the positions.
I guess they were well motivated which is quite understandable, but it would need massive amounts of guts and not a tiny measure of skill.
Of the 260 Israeli soldiers that fought at Tel Faher,34 were killed and 113 wounded.

The story of the battle is quite riveting:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think we captured shed loads of these. About 18 years ago the tank corps museum at Latrun placed ones like these in fields next to the main Jerusalem Tel Aviv highway, pointing in the direction of the museum. It caused an outcry from people complaining it spoiled the pastoral view and in the end they were removed.
The museum should have pointed out they should be grateful to the folks that stopped them pointing the other way.

The museum should have pointed out they should be grateful to the folks that stopped them pointing the other way.
Tbh I also think they spoiled the view and for no good reason. They also looked daft in pink and red and blue etc....

Of the 260 Israeli soldiers that fought at Tel Faher,34 were killed and 113 wounded.

The story of the battle is quite riveting:

You're right, it is indeed an interesting read. I remember the 6 day war, but the press did not cover the battle for the Golan Heights in much detail. Now talking of land grab and at the risk of derailing the thread, what is Bibi up to? From the German press I gather that he wants to annex the Jordantal (Valley of the Jordan?). No explanation, just the usual Teddy chucking by the usual suspects. I know it's coming up to elections and that Bibi has allegedly been a naughty boy. So is this electioneering or an attempt to divert attention from himself or is he after "Lebensraum"?

Latest Threads