A visit to an Israeli boneyard

They probably showed you Tel Faher, a really well fortified Syrian emplacement on the high ground. Helluva thing for infantry to have to attack. There is another fortified post a bit to the south called Tel Azaziyat, which the IDF were able to take more easily by surprising it from the rear.
Last time I was there there was a Syrian Mk 4 Panzer in it's emplavement but with it's turret turned around to face the surprise attack from the rear.
You have to see these places, the topography and the proximity of civilian settlements to understand the strategic neccessity of holding on to the land.
Of course, if the neighbours weren't so murderous, including to each other, it mightn't be such a sensitive issue.
found a good pic of said Panzer on an Israeli forum.
93101129_900811967029628_4651741862682427392_o.jpg

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
The day the IDF performed its surprise withdrawal from Southern Lebanon contained more chaotic episodes than have yet been written about.
As a former infantryman whose brief included the RPG 7 and the crap Dragon ATGM, I think what Bowen did was pure suicide - he ought to have been prosecuted for reckless endangerment of his employees/contractors.
Using a vehicle model commonly used by Hizbollah he had his people drive him out onto land in between opposing forces in the middle of an extremely fluid and unprecedented battle and then had one raise a TV camera to his shoulder, all the while with Israeli Armour in LOS - there was no, is no and never will be a valid excuse for what he did.
His subsequent hysterical accusation against the Israelis for the incident and snide crocodile tears for the driver he got killed was a real eye opener regarding unethical and biased journalists.
biased journalists is something there is no shortage of in the BBC.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
The AP camera man in Gaza? That was some kind of airburst munition rather than flechette (the smoke is visible at the top of the picture). In the world of Javelins and Spikes, lifting a TV camera to your shoulder in a combat scenario in LOS with armour is asking for trouble - ask any tankie.
Your Brit security bloke did great work.
I had the pleasure of spending time in Lebanese villages towns and cities from El-Adeissa to Jounieh, especially when we kicked out the PLO in 1982. I met some nice people and I am convinced that the majority of people want to get on with their lives rather than engage in terrorism.
Responsibility for the kind of incident you describe rests entirely with the Lebanese government, which for reasons known best to itself, provided/s a base for an Iranian proxy to attack Israel - in 2006 an attack of huge proportions.
I think you'll find the Lebanese government has little choice in that area. Short of starting another civil war, that is.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Photographed yesterday (not by me) near the boneyard, an experimental Blackhawk owned and flown by Israel Aircraft Industries.

View attachment 427673View attachment 427674

gen:

In September 1995, UH-60A 78-22976 ( the Blackhawk in the photograph) was serving with Company B of the 13st AVN, Alabama National Guard out of Birmingham Municipal airport in, er, Alabama.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hatzerim according to the media
No operational F-16s at Hatzerim. 69 Sqn with their F-15I's live there with the T-6s and M-346s.

that thing is worth a kings ransom to a military vehicle collector. German WW2 stuff, you can write your own cheque.
I know of two others in that area but their battle damage is much worse.
The IDF tank museum has at least one in nice condition.
There was a time when I could have got you a T-55 or T-62 turret quite easily, since in the eighties several were strewn about "the valley of tears". An architect friend had a plan to convert one into a fireplace and chimney but nowt came of it in the end.

Last edited:
I would love to get that back to the UK
From your pictures it is very restorable......any interior pics ? Pics through the rear engine compartment doors ?
Probably a Radial originally
Can I have it?
some more views of it and former Wermacht gear in this video

some more views of it and former Wermacht gear in this video
amazing, are these Panzers in a particularly sensitive,contested area, like the U.N. buffer zone in Cyprus, where kit cars sat untouched in a garage in the 80's can't be touched for fear of an international incident? or could a enterprising person sneak in there with recovery kit and make a mint?

amazing, are these Panzers in a particularly sensitive,contested area, like the U.N. buffer zone in Cyprus, where kit cars sat untouched in a garage in the 80's can't be touched for fear of an international incident? or could a enterprising person sneak in there with recovery kit and make a mint?
1591657513428.png
;)

While the area they are in is contested (Israel annexed the Golan heights in 1981 after the Syrian forces retreated in 1967), it isn't like the buffer zone in Cyprus - in theory one could possibly sneak in and recover one. However, the last one I personally visited - a badly shot up Mk lV - not in this video, I couldn't get too near to because there was a wild bees nest inside it. One would also have to be careful of the pre-1967 Syrian minefields around it, so dicey in the dark.

Last edited:
While the area they are in is contested (Israel annexed the Golan heights in 1981 after the Syrian forces retreated in 1967), it isn't like the buffer zone in Cyprus - in theory one could possibly sneak in and recover one. However, the last one I personally visited - a badly shot up Mk lV - not in this video, I couldn't get too near to because there was a wild bees nest inside it. One would also have to be careful of the pre-1967 Syrian minefields around it, so dicey in the dark.
Found a view of it

Nuheila Mk4.jpg

Latest Threads