A very interesting read........Sea Shadow, and the US Naval Ghost Ships

It's always sad to see once proud warship in this state. Having said that, just fifteen miles from me were two breakers' yards which, between them, destroyed more US Naval ships than the Axis. Both yards had retail sales outlets for bits and pieces of interest and my really big purchase was an 1800 pound safe from an aircraft carrier.

I once dressed in grubbies, put on a hardhat and walked through one yard during lunch hour and boarded one of two LSTs (Landing Ship Tank) which were in the queue to be scrapped. Spent a couple of hours on board then slipped away without being spotted. I do wish I'd had a camera with me.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's cool as fuck.

One night on a drunken ramble through Pompey docks, myself and an oppo climbed onboard the Invincible while she was mothballed. Using our mobile phones as torches we spent about an hour on the ship exploring and trying to find decent stuff to liberate. It was pretty awesome being the only people on such a massive ship in the middle of the night.

In the early 1990's a WW2 liberty ship was rescued from the reserve fleet and sailed accross the Atlantic for the 50th aniversary of the D Day landings. The SS Jeremiah O'Brien was moored alongside HMS Belfast for a while and I took the opportunity to spend a very interesting couple of hours aboard her. The ship is now a moored in San Francisco.

Welcome to the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In the early 1990's a WW2 liberty ship was rescued from the reserve fleet and sailed accross the Atlantic for the 50th aniversary of the D Day landings. The SS Jeremiah O'Brien was moored alongside HMS Belfast for a while and I took the opportunity to spend a very interesting couple of hours aboard her. The ship is now a moored in San Francisco.

Welcome to the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN
Anyone know the name of the liberty ship that used to be moored up with the batch 1 42s at the ammo point in Pompey? Seaside them used to train on it, fast roping on to her, letting off pyro and blowing off doors and what not. Anyone know what happend to her?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
probably ended up in hartlepool or wherever that scrappers is.

its got a bigger navy than we have.

the ghost fleet is norfolk (US not 6 fingerland) is interesting and the same as the pacific one with more rain and storms probably - its that fleet which keep getting towed to the north east where the greenies are trying to stop the scrapping cos its dangerous and had asbestos etc.. on board.

The story of the fleets is pretty interesting as part of the strategic reserve for re-forger held over from the shipping shortage from '42. Its a shame they were never allowed to work their passage like the RFA and have been derelict since vietnam and were too far gone for either gulf. I think the only thing remotely similar now is the ships at DG but they are loaded up for bear, camel, or panda depending on who kicks off first.

It's almost as sad as the USAF's dump at the Davis Monthan Air Force Base near Tuscon, Arizona.

Davis Monthan AFB.jpg Davis Monthan AFB 2.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think the only thing remotely similar now is the ships at DG but they are loaded up for bear, camel, or panda depending on who kicks off first.
Saw those when I was there in '04. That's gotta be a gash draft being upper deck sentry on a massive empty ship for months at a time.

Z

Zarathustra

Very interesting site, seems strange to see the ships still fitted out with desks, radios and beds like they're waiting to get recalled but instead have been allowed to rot. Had a read up on Wikipedia about the Sea Shadow, very interesting.

R

renamed_user

During the 1970's and early 1980's my dad was in the ship scrapping business. In his time at Dartford and then Gravesend Kent he took the flamming axe to many deep sea Trawlers and traditional thames steel barges. However the biggest ship he got hold of was HMS Leopard (F14) similar to the later leander class frigites only with a extra 4.5" gun turret on the stern. He had the frigite towed from Chatham up the thames to Beckton gas works East London, as she was too big to fit down Dartford creek. So having closed the water tight doors he chopped the stern off and then towed the remaining three quarters back down river to Dartford where he scrapped the rest there. To get on board the gib of a crane was lowered to deck level and then you had to climb up the gib, which narrows down to a point and then step across, as a 12 year old very scary!I think there are pictures of her high and dry on the internet somewhere.
He also scrapped several Ton class minesweepers. Anyway it was a filthy polluting business and of course very dangerous, wouldn't be allowed to happen today-good.

Anyone know the name of the liberty ship that used to be moored up with the batch 1 42s at the ammo point in Pompey? Seaside them used to train on it, fast roping on to her, letting off pyro and blowing off doors and what not. Anyone know what happend to her?
If it is the one I recall, it, "she", was replaced by one of our own RFA's "LSL" (Landing Ship Logistic).

I'll look for a link . . .

Edited to add: That's the one! As "Big Ned" confirmed in post #11 . . . .

"Rame Head was completely recycled in March 2010, just 12 months after arriving at Van Heyghen Recycling yard in Belgium; Auxiliary Support Vessel Rame Head was fully dismantled with over 95% of the vessel recycled".

Again edited to add:

. . . . the round table class are really obsolete but not as bad as the leaf tanker class. I think the only one they will keep is the tristram as the poole boys use it for training . . . . .
http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/75751-number-ships-not-use-6.html

Finally, edited to add:

“RFA Sir Tristram left her base at Marchwood Military Port near Southampton for the last time on Friday the 16th of December 2005. In the Solent on her way to Portsmouth, RFA Sir Tristram was passed by RFA Sir Galahad returning from the first part of her FOST training after refit . . . . Sir Tristram berthed in Portsmouth, where she will be used as a static training ship”.

Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship RFA Sir Tristram L3505

“In 2006 it was decided to regenerate the ex LSL Sir Tristram for a new role as a special forces training platform to replace the aged Rame Head and relocate the facility from Portsmouth Harbour to Portland in Dorset under a project name of Project Newman”.

Ex RFA Sir Tristram | A&P Group

Attachments

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but got shunted here by the "ghost ships" thread..

Was the Rame Head not tied up (or more accurately sitting on a layer of beer cans) in Fort George, Londonderry in the early 70s?

I seem to recall projectile vomiting off that rail!

USS IOWA (BB-61) saved from the breakers; to become a floating museum in Los Angeles:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=75359&stc=1&d=1337015589

SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN - I was headed into Portland, Oregon one day and while crossing a bridge saw a Liberty Ship tied to the sea wall. Got to the gangplank and gave a donation for the guided tour and was impressed by the state of preservation. The ship is largely crewed by volunteer old salts with a paid captain, engineer, and a physician from the US Public Health Service, among others. There also are former Navy types who served these ships as members of Armed Guard Detachments. The radio room contained all the original stuff plus state-of-the-art voice, CW, fax and gps.

At the stern was a huge barbie consisting of two fifty-five gallon drums cut and hinged, and a bin of fishing rods next to the duty free locker. Must have been some great duty for the veterans who "enlisted" for a number of months - back on saltwater, travel, guiding tours, swapping war stories with the other men, etc.

At the time of my visit, perhaps ten years ago, I was told the ship belonged to the National Park Service and was the only mobile mobile park in their system.

The O'BRIEN was a proud D Day veteran!