A Very British Coup against Bliar

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Mar 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was a good article in the Mail on Sunday today by Peter Dobbie entitled "Blair's away with the fairies...and the men in white coats are coming."

It looked at his Parkinson revelation about the direct line he apparently has to God, whose fault Iraq was...etc.... Apparently the Parky outing was a "personal relaunch" of Blair, who has a "psychological problem" over the issue of giving up power, to such an extent that he may not stand down at the next election.

So, assuming that Bliar will cling limpet-like to his diminishing office, how will he be evicted?

I foresee a number of scenarios:

1. A matter of significant political controversy (education, terrorism legislation or ID cards) splits the parliamentary Labour party to the extent that his position is untenable.

2. His eviction at the hands of the Labour party, perhaps shortly before or during the 2007 party conference or in the runup to a general election, after a disastrous showing in the local elections, an increasingly unpopular military policy in Iraq/Afghanistan and more sleaze revelations about Jowell and others.

3. His eviction by Brown after he finally realises that Bliar intends to go on and on and on....

4. A terrorist atrocity occurs in the UK and creates a major political controversy focusing on the danger to the UK arising from its blind support of the US and the ineffectiveness and misdirected authoritarianism of government anti-terrorism policy. A public clamour calls for his resignation.

5. Bliar decides to follow Dubya into invading or bombing Iran or Syria. There is massive public uproar that dwarfs the 2003 "Stop the War" demonstrations and Bliar responds by ordering a police crackdown using the same-old "terrorist" excuse. The dissent spirals out of control, the police cannot cope and people are shot, a curfew is imposed. Perhaps a general strike is called. Bliar stands down either of his own volition or, more likely, after being locked in a room and told he is't leaving until he resigns by some "men in suits" (politicians or senior civil servants) who wish to forestall a major constitutional calamity.
  2. Or, staying within the realms of reality, backstabbed by his cabinet and ousted, so opt 1 or opt 2 depending on how much support Brown has.
  3. Assuming the Legaslative Reform Bill is not enacted and we actually have an election......
  4. i'll rather see him strung up the street lights with piano wire.
  5. Sadly this isn't really within the realms of reality though. Although whilst in opposition a Labour leader is open to being challenged every year, when in power, getting rid of a leader isn't easy and requires widespread support for the 'coup'. In short, 20% of Labour MPs would have to support a challenge and then they would have to wait till the annual conference (autumn) when a vote would be taken to decide whether a leadership election should be held.

Bliar is obviously completely immune to criticism and out of touch with decency, honour and responsibility so he won't be shamed into resigning, thus being ousted by his party is the only option, but as described above, it's not likely unless things get much worse - after all, they like being in government as much as anyone and leadership challenges always have wider ramifications. :evil:

NB My current Fantasy Leadership Challenge sees each member of the cabinet actually back-stabbing Bliar with a steak-knife a la Murder on the Orient Express with HMTQ looking on whilst saying "He's not the Prime Minister, he's a very naughty boy!" :twisted:
  6. i remember the brighton bombing in 84, when the IRA tried to kill maggie. there was almost universal outrage.

it is a sad state of affairs indeed that, were something similar to be attempted by terrorists nowadays against bliar, the condemnation would be less widespread.

he should take this as an indication that his foreign policy (in particular) is no longer representative of the democracy which he leads. i am sure that many would feel it quite apt if he suffered the same as our boys in iraq.

i think that's going a little far, personally. but i wish he would wake up and smell the coffee.
  7. CR - depends if the terrorist act against Bliar was successful or unsuccessful. If someone were to foil it, their life would not be worth living, I suspect
  8. Financial scandal leading to resignation.

Someone within the party is likley to leak emails or documents linking the great leader to massive financial irregularities involving £3million home in Connaught square. linking in to the Carlyle group, Berlusconni money etc.

result being press outrage and no choice but to resign.
  9. Allow the deomcratic process which is the bedrock of our country to function, he cannot stay in power much longer, the wheels are nearly off and the tyres are flat!!
  10. Sure which will leave Prescott or Brown holding the reigns, then democracy is completely dead
  11. Only if the dullards in the Civpop are stupid enuff to return the wasters!
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

...which they have already demonstrated themselves capable of.
  13. Thus was the truth spoken!
  14. I don't really see opt's 3 4 or 5 being more realistic however (and certainly hope that there isn't another terrorist attack). Surely it wouldn't be the first time a PM was backstabbed by his own cabinet because he stayed on for too long and was seen to be harming the party's image.
  15. RTFQ

The labour party may be a bunch of currupt and globally naive loons, but they're not politically stupid.

Did anyone see that speed skating relay at the winter olympics? The guy finishing his leg lines up with the incoming skater and he pushes all his momentum into the new guy.

Same-same Brown and Blair.

There's no love lost, and Blair will become the duty Fig 11 target when he steps down (it wasn't us, it was blair), but Labour still think UK politics is largely becoming/has become a cult of personality. They might be right, everything else in society is exactly that - how many people out there can give an accurate synopsis of the Terrorism Bill? Not many I would suggest, although many more no doubt know who the Met Police Commissioner is and can give us an opinion on his policies and character. Politics is rife with examples - who even knows what the Cuture Secretary's role is? - but I'm not going to detail them here. Watch the news tonight, then read your Mrs's Heat magazine, there's not much of a difference.

It's a gamble, but Labour need to eek as much celebrity and popularity out of Blair and convey it onto their party's personality and manifesto. Brown is no Beckham, and they need to make sure they've got hold of the Richard & Judy viewers, the Tesco shoppers and the mondeo drivers (gently) by the ear in time for the next election. If they hand-over to Brown whilst Cameron is giving it Johnny Big Banana and Minge Campbell is all "I'm old too! Look, I need to wee 4 times an hour - just like you! Isn't that music loud?" at the same time as the thinking members of the population (...me neither, but there must be some) start suspecting the government of being bottom-dealing, back-handed c*nts, they'll maybe lose the next election. If it's a sunny day and a short walk to the polling stations, or they get Text- and internet-voting right and have Bruce forsythe hosts an election on ice special.

One potentially positive effect of all this is that Labour get it wrong. People finally see blair and his star chamber for the gammy-eyed, do-gooding despots that they truly are and sink the labour party for a good few years in backlash.

We'll be saying the same about the tories in a few years if that does happen though. :roll: Just as long as they are more constitutional in their lawmaking, i don't really care.