A VC obituary - 'Like giving an elephant strawberries'

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Teleegraph is a bit late with that one, the Regiment e mailed all and sundry within hours.
  2. That "All and sundry" being those in the same regiment I presume Ugly ? Which would be about 0.0000000000000000000000001% of the population ............ bit harsh to assume we all knew of this and that this is a non post Ugly.

I wasn't one of those "All and sundry" and was glad to hear about the old boy, so thanks to Fireplace for not assuming we had all heard about it.

I do look at the Telegraph obits from time to time and catch up on all the old boys who did amazing things during a given war and then went on to do things like "Take a keen interest in dressage" or "kept bees in their living room", etc, etc. This has reminded me to go have a look again. The obits will be a lot less interesting in another few years when there's no WW2/Korea vets (veterans) and before the next lot of heroes passes in another 60 or so years time (with a brief blip for the Falklands vets) long after me!

3. After following the link I had a look at some of the others including Captain Stephen Perry.........

Then I took a dekko through my glasses and there was the flash! It was a tank — probably a Tiger – just below the skyline. I grabbed the first three chaps I could see and we jumped into an SP ... but [the Tiger] spotted us and a ding-dong battle began, round for round.

“After the 11th round, a cloud of smoke came up from the Tiger. Then we got in [another] half a dozen rounds before he waddled off pouring smoke from his turret.”

Fantastic deeds and fantastic descriptions with quotes filled with 'chaps', 'ding-dongs' and waddling off's" absolutely priceless. True Gentlemen!
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Didn't mean it to sound arrogant but the e mail was to various other orgs and newspapers I was expressing surprise that the telegraph took so long to write up the obit, clearly the DLI publicity machine is past its best!
  5. I liked a Torygraph obit of a few years ago that told us an old soldier was always known a 'Stripey' after an encounter with a tiger left him with amusing injuries to the buttocks!

Some of the things these chaps did were astonishing-not least because they went back to such normality afterwards