A use for scrap Harriers

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by CivvyPete, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe next time we get big snow, we should take a tip out of the Russkies books and use em to keep runways clear....Since they are already ducted fans, I reckon you wouldn't even have to take the Pegasus out of the airframe, just taxi it along runway, or put it in the hover over anything that needs de-icing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in case they get the wrong sort of snow on Polish railways:
    [​IMG]

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

We did that back in the 50s they still had something like it at Wittering in the 80s snow

3. The only photos I can find of the RAF's famous 'Machine Runway De-Icer (MRD)' is on PPrune:

PPrune Link

MT Drivers used to wax lyrical about them - I seem to remember they were Gnome engines, and they had a titanium spreader at the front to concentrate the effect. Apparently, they were unbelievably dangerous and would cheerfully melt the tarmac if you stopped for a moment or, to far greater lethal effect, the jet efflux would get under sheet ice, lift it and then launch huge chunks across the airfield at high speed! Happy days...

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Which is what happened at Wittering, they also totally screwed up all the lighting

5. My ex-Fleet Air Arm bro-in-law has a little story about a Harrier demolishing a very large and ancient old tree at Dartmouth, during the display at his Commissioning Parade - so I can easily imagine the FOD hazards associated with using them to 'gently' shift snow . . . . real big boys toys.

6. I have sweet memories of a Harrier at Brands Hatch during a F1 Grand Prix many moons ago. Took the awnings off a couple of hospitality tents when it 'hovered' a bit close during a pre-race display.

Using them for clearing snow might be an economically sound idea. Give enough warnings about possible flying objects would cover it. Alternatively they would make great taxis, capable of taking off and landing anywhere. Might land the local council with a hefty road repair bill though.

7. Land all Harriers in a half circle around Slough. Then at a given signal the open up with all guns until Slough is a pile of rubble. Then bulldoze the Harriers and the rubble in to a big pile.
    A fitting memorial.

8. I could only sign up to that if I was assured that Gerry Anderson's Century 21 TV studios (in the industrial unit next to the Mars Bars factory), had first been preserved for the sake of posterity.

After that - pillage and burn willy-nilly!!

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Here you are
    IIRC at Wittering they just stuck a couple of Harriers up and they hovered up and down the runway clearing it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. You are a bike and much cheaper.

11. Hi, the fishtails on the jet engines were probably not titanium (it's flammable) but IIRC, nimonic, a heat resistant alloy. These beasts used to be repaired in the sheet metal shop at RAF St. Athan in the early 70's. The fishtails had little spacer ties welded into them to maintain the opening at around 2+1/2". Without those spacers, the fishtail would open out under power. I think some operators, bravely, or stupidly gave 'em a bit too much welly, and opened up the fishtail. Health & Safety?

12. Yeah cheers for that you fucking thick cunt.

13. I had a graze put on my bonce by a bit of concrete thrown up by a SHAR doing an overly enthusiastic low hover demo at Newtonards air show years ago.

14. One ripped-up about 50m2 of tarmac at Detmold airfield during a very brief display of hovering, followed by a display of the robustness of the undercarriage.