A typical Hat question....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Goatman said:
Question: US airborne types have been deliberately exiting perfectly serviceable C-17s since at least 2002 when I visted Bragg for work ( they had enough window cleaners as it turned out). Does 16 AA do this ?2nd Question: everyone in 82nd AA jumps, including the spli - female soldiers. Last time I looked, no serving British bumpy jumpered sort had been permitted to earn these particular wings...why not?
Just curious....anyone from the Parachute unit at AAEE present who may be able to bring a bit of first hand knowledge to bear?

Ta

Goats

Wasn't there a thread featuring winged women- apparently some jobs could bypass the energetic bit of P Company and just do the jumps. I think there was some (justifiable) apoplexy amongst the Para contingent about what badge should be worn as a result. Was there a picture of a particularly unaerodynamic looking doris (was she RN) wearing wings 'earned' in such a manner.

GUZZIJON said:
Wasn't there a thread featuring winged women- apparently some jobs could bypass the energetic bit of P Company and just do the jumps. I think there was some (justifiable) apoplexy amongst the Para contingent about what badge should be worn as a result. Was there a picture of a particularly unaerodynamic looking doris (was she RN) wearing wings 'earned' in such a manner.
You're refering to the image of the MA who was a member of SPAG

What a misleading thread title. I had hoped it would be a thread discussing the merits of the Fedora.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
What a misleading thread title. I had hoped it would be a thread discussing the merits of the Fedora.
My profound apologies - if I didn't think it might make an unsightly mess of my golden bowler I would now be reaching for the Mess Webley.....a new thread on natty gents head gear is indeed long overdue.

Most responses have leapt unerringly to the wrong conclusion - I really don't give a fourpenny fig for Wimmin's issues re the whole parachuting thing.

I was hoping for a considered response re ' Why the British Airborne don't jump from C17' ....ah well...

Call me old fashioned but why would you leave a perfectly airworthy aircraft before it touched the ground. I could understand it if the thing was on fire up in the air but that apart, why!!!!!

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Call me old fashioned but why would you leave a perfectly airworthy aircraft before it touched the ground. I could understand it if the thing was on fire up in the air but that apart, why!!!!!
Ryanair's new "drop-off" flights - they don't land but put you down in a field near your destination*

*within 50 miles */- 20 for navigation errors

Old fashioned! I would say positively prehistoric with that old chestnut ^~

This has probably been asked before, are their any other females past or present who have their para wings? When I left I did not think their were any.

Z

Zarathustra

This has probably been asked before, are their any other females past or present who have their para wings? When I left I did not think their were any.
You've just opened a whole can or worms with that question, I imagine 23U23D will be along shortly to offer someone internet violence.

I think there were a few women who served with the SOE who were awarded their wings.