A turning point for Labour?

#1
Today saw three serious(ish) news stories about Labour heavyweights. Pardon the pun!

Charles Clarke is under the cosh for not being aware that he, and his predecessor's dept had inadvertently released over 1000 foreign prisoners. Prisoners that may or may not have been eligible for deportation for their offences. It isnt a resigning matter.

John 'Two-Jags' Prescott admits that the press have had the wrong moniker for him for the last two years, as he was outed for/owned up to his 2 year affair. I want some privacy.

The Health Sec, Patricia Hewitt, is given the old slow hand clap at the nurses convention. Only the other day she was given a vote of confidence by the PM. Im doing a good job,

Is there any chance that this could be the beginning of the end for Labour. They are surely about to be caught in a sleaze/no confidence attack from the media, if not the other parties, and the public surely can't be falling for all the No 10 spin again can they?

F
 
#2
Although not the heavyweight in UK politics he used to be, you missed Kinnock's driving ban too.

In regard to your question, we can only hope. If nothing else it will be fun watching the slimy b@stard BLiar wriggling hard. I only hope that the Tories keep at it and press the high ground and then for once, stay there.

Edited to add

Has anyone else noticed that Brown has completely disappeared in this mess? Distancing himself beautifully, canny man.
 
#4
Don't forget:

Cash for peerages.
Tessa Jowell and her husband allegedly accepting a bribe from Berlusconi which was used to pay off their mortgage.
Ruth Kelly allowing sex offenders to work as teachers.
 
#5
Ex_ex said:
Don't forget:

Cash for peerages.
Tessa Jowell and her husband allegedly accepting a bribe from Berlusconi which was used to pay off their mortgage.
Ruth Kelly allowing sex offenders to work as teachers.
Good reminder. All we need now is a prize fcuk up in MOD attributed to a minister (with Service chiefs being robust and not taking the blame for once) and we have a full house!
 
#7
frankie said:
Today saw three serious(ish) news stories about Labour heavyweights. Pardon the pun!

Charles Clarke is under the cosh for not being aware that he, and his predecessor's dept had inadvertently released over 1000 foreign prisoners. Prisoners that may or may not have been eligible for deportation for their offences. It isnt a resigning matter.

John 'Two-Jags' Prescott admits that the press have had the wrong moniker for him for the last two years, as he was outed for/owned up to his 2 year affair. I want some privacy.

The Health Sec, Patricia Hewitt, is given the old slow hand clap at the nurses convention. Only the other day she was given a vote of confidence by the PM. Im doing a good job,

Is there any chance that this could be the beginning of the end for Labour. They are surely about to be caught in a sleaze/no confidence attack from the media, if not the other parties, and the public surely can't be falling for all the No 10 spin again can they?

F
I thought one of the key points of this disgrace was that the situation had been brought to his departments attention more than 2 years ago by the prison inspectors, then again in 2005 by the NAO and again later in 2005 by a commons select commitee, surely it is a bit of a stretch of the imagination for anyone to claim clarke didn't know...

anyone else catch the statement on Today this morning from some duty apologist rolled out to spin the story? The gist of it was that clarke had verbally offered to consider resigning and TCB turned him down, I would have thought the honourable thing to have done would have been to actually write a feckin letter of resignation and hand it in then see if it is accepted or not, spineless piece of sh!t.
 
#8
Liability Parties days are numbered!!!!! :)

Edited for carp spelling.
 
#10
I must admit to the Daily Horror's front page putting me off my morning banjo somewhat: My Dreams of Prezza? The thought of that fat, spotty (as I understand things) arrse pounding away like a 4.5 on NGS just made me feel queasy. What on Earth was that woman on? Let's face it - unlike the DPM - she's not half bad... well... I've woke up next to worse anyway. I don't know whether to give Two Jabs 'nuf respec' (innit?) or what! What has the world come to? 8O

Bewildered of Bury St Edmunds.
 
#11
in_the_cheapseats said:
Ex_ex said:
Don't forget:

Cash for peerages.
Tessa Jowell and her husband allegedly accepting a bribe from Berlusconi which was used to pay off their mortgage.
Ruth Kelly allowing sex offenders to work as teachers.
Good reminder. All we need now is a prize fcuk up in MOD attributed to a minister (with Service chiefs being robust and not taking the blame for once) and we have a full house!
Can JPA be attributed to a minister? As well as the other problems described, there are now rumours that Crab Air personnel might be paid late this month due to this wonderful new system.
 
#12
Crabtobe said:
Can JPA be attributed to a minister? As well as the other problems described, there are now rumours that Crab Air personnel might be paid late this month due to this wonderful new system.
The question is, if this happens, can the military have confidence that the CoC (up to and including CDS) have the balls to reveal it for the disgrace it will be, and take it to the top?

I suspect that either Ingram or the terminally flaccid Touhig will be responsible (insofar as the term can be used in respect of a Labour minister); doubtless a search of MOD press releases will turn up a photo of one of them grinning inanely as he hands over a blank cheque to some contractor who's promised what he knows he can't deliver.
 
#14
Listy said:
Don't forget the scum have to find a ton of cash to repay their, ahem, "Loans".
Indeed, and fairly quickly, too, since some of the lenders have called their loans in. Nothing at all to do with their failure to receive honours, of course...
 
#15
jonwilly said:
But Who is going to replace them ?
john
And no one hate Blur/Labour more then I.
Not the Lib Dems thats for sure.

The Tories need to get a grip and attack Liarbour and show they are making a comeback.

But I'll be voting BNP in the local elections (but not in the General Election)
 
#16
I wonder if John Prescott remembers these remarks he made about the Conservatives?

They are up to their necks in sleaze.
Can you believe that this lot is in charge? Not for long, eh?
they have the audacity to talk about morality.
Morality is measured in more than just money. It's about right and wrong. We are a party of principle. We will earn the trust of the British people. We've had enough lies. Enough sleaze.
Nothig like good old-fashioned Labour hypocrisy, is there?
 
#17
PointSevenSixTwo said:
The Tories need to get a grip and attack Liarbour and show they are making a comeback.
I agree. We've been crying out for a viable opposition for some time now. This is a great opportunity for Mr Cameron to launch some real policies, not just the 'go green' stuff. It's safe (who could disagree with it?) but it's dull and unimaginative.
 
#18
I think thats why the Tories have failed to dig into labour whenever there are these allegations...afraid of what might come up in their own camp.

I really do think this is the beginning of the end for labour though. About fcuking time...the countries in almost as bad a shape last time labour had a go in the 70's!!!
 
#19
Good old-fashioned Labour hypocracy is about right. I remember being saddened that the Conservatives lost power on 5th May 1997 but recognised that the country needed a change after the twenty years they were in government.

However bad the Conservatives may have been back then, the scale of corruption was nothing in comparison to this government - the government that was going to be whiter than white, fix a generation of NHS neglect, make education, education, education a top priority and be tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime. An absolute joke and a disgrace. Cheap talk to win cheap votes from an ill-informed electorate. Well the people who voted Labour back then, the selfish people who were thinking of themselves ahead of the state, are reaping what they sewed.

At the forthcoming English local council elections I encourage everyone who has a vote to use it. Voter apathy is a big contributer to the shit the country is in at the moment.
 
#20
ViroBono said:
Listy said:
Don't forget the scum have to find a ton of cash to repay their, ahem, "Loans".
Indeed, and fairly quickly, too, since some of the lenders have called their loans in. Nothing at all to do with their failure to receive honours, of course...
Hence why the labour party are being forced into selling their LondonHQ to cover the costs of the loan repayments.

Oh the irony!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads