A truce with Taliban in Badhgis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090727/wl_nm/us_afghanistan_ceasefire

Is it a rare exception or would it be an example to reach a lasting truce in other regions?
  2. we've had truces before over certain villages or towns havent we? it was a bit of a fiasco last time my fuggy memory tells me.
  3. Oh, good. Now we just need to wave a Nobel Peace Prize at the leaders and everybody can go home claiming victory.
  4. Afghanistan is a very complex country. There are many peoples, tribes. It seems to me that regional specifics of Afghanistan is not being used properly.

The Aimaks are ethnically Hazara but Sunni Muslims. Hazara people is numerous (3d ethnical group in Afghanistan) and its relations with the Pashtuns (the base of the Taliban) can be described as a hatred.

One could expect that Hazara people would be free from oppressions after US led invasion. But it has not happened.

So what does the truce mean? Current pro-Western government tries to disarm the Hazara and gives the ability to Pashtun minority in Badhgis to operate freely against the Hazara.

Also Pashtun tribesmen (Kochis) acts like the Talibs by another name.

And how do the Hazaras look at NATO forces? In their eyes NATO support the oppressive Kabul government.