A tribute to a US Marine....

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Ord_Sgt, Feb 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

2. Good find O_S. Behind all the rhetoric, politics, and arguments on both sides of war, the human cost never changes.

RIP

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I defy even the most hardend members of the Naafi Bar not to choke up. For all their plus's and minus's the Americans know how to show real respect for their fallen.

RIP.

4. Whilst I fully appreciate the sentiment and feel terribly sad for those who have lost a loved one, I found that rather mawkish. I'm not sure why the film was made - surely footage from when he was alive would have made a better tribute. I'm not sure I'd want to make a Hollywood production of a loved-one's funeral or indeed watch any footage of it.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Take a look at the whole site for a better understanding.

6. 307

307 War Hero

Exactly ord-Sgt, dozybint......you fcuking are! Things misted up their watching that.

7. My point still stands! I welled up watching it, but I don't think it's a "for public consumption" thing. My opinion only, but I feel that it's too personal for all & sundry to get upset about and the Hollywood styling seems to cheapen the sentiment.

8. Very moving stuff, RIP young man :(

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sorry, corrected.

10. God that was moving , thats how our fallen should be treated . Rest in peace Bobby .

11. Rest in peace Devil Dog.

The company that produced this had videotaped his sister's wedding the previous year and was asked to tape the funeral as a keepsake for his unborn child.

12. Hello. My name is Darrell and my business partner and I made the video. I have never posted on a site that has talked about this tribute before, but I felt compelled to sign up and set the record straight.

Every couple weeks, I check the web logs to see just how many people are viewing the site. Web logs show "referring links" which is how I found this thread.

Bobby Warns tribute site has grown quite a bit, which is why I suppose it now looks "commercial", but that was not the intent.

Basically, we are wedding videographers - and darn good ones! :wink: We videotaped Bobby Warns sisters wedding 1 year prior to his death. The family called us and asked us to record the funeral because they said he had a baby on the way, and they wanted that baby to some day see the dignity, honor and respect of her fathers funeral. Because we had not recorded a funeral before, we planed on just placing one camera in the back of the church to record everything and give them a unedited tape. But then, Bobby's mother said she wanted the video to be as "beautiful and artistic" as her daughters wedding video. During this conversation, they also said they had family overseas that could not attend the funeral. She had no idea that we often place video clips on-line to share. We do this all the time with weddings...

So, the day after the funeral, the family was pleasantly shocked to see that I placed the clip on-line for the family to share with friends. It was a 1 page web site with no text, just the video clip. For $9, I reserved the name BobbyWarns.com knowing that would please the family. It was not intended to be seen by anyone except the family.

Well, family members started sharing the address with friends who shared it with more friends, etc. Soon, the media learned of the video. THEN, I changed the site to show Bobby's pictures, explain the story, etc.

I just wanted you to know that this was NOT a Hollywood production. We are a tiny 2 person company that shoots weddings and a few business videos a year.
    The funeral was recorded by just my partner and I. We had no lighting crew, no audio grips, just two guys with video cameras. I'm very proud of the tribute, and proud that our work is so good that some consider it "Hollywood".. :D

Thanks!

Darrell
    Creative Images
    www.BobbyWarns.com

PS: Thank you for the comments many of you have left on the site. They have quite the healing effect on Bobby's parents and sister.

13. Darrell, Thanks for setting the record straight. I can not pretend to speak for the other members of this website but personally I found it a very moving and fitting tribute to a young man who made the ultimate sacrifice. I hope that his unborn child grows to be justifiably proud of the father they never knew.

Bobby Warns, rest in peace and Semper Fi

14. Darrell,

You have done a good thing. thanks

LB

15. Rest easy mate