• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A touching story...

This story is old, from 2004. before you rip the p1ss out of me for posting it, just read it. I found it in Eight Lives Down, written by Major Chris Hunter, and it's a stonking great read.

Dear Richie,
I want to share with you a story i was told today by a lady in church. It made me think of you and the girls.

A lady had been in Georgia attending a conference. At the airport, waiting to catch her flight hom, she heard people all around her beginning to clap and cheer. She turned right around.

A group of soldiers was moving through the terminal in their fatigues. There were thirty or forty of them, mostly not much more than boys. She said it was wonderful to know that she wasn't the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

She started clapping too, for these young unsung hereos who, like you, my darling boy, are putting their lives on the line for us every sing day, so our children can stay in school, and we can work and go home without fear or reprisal.

Just then, a little girl, not more than six or seven years old, ran up to one othe soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'Hi,' and the little girl asked him if he could give something to her daddy for her.
The soldier said he would surely try, and asked her what it was she wanted to give.

The little girl grabbed him around the neck and gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

Her mother stepped forward and told the young soldier that her husband was with the Marine Corps and had been in Iraq for almost a year, and little Courtney missed him real bad. The young soldier began to tear up, and when the temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the solders huddled together. Then one of his companions pulled out a walkie-talkie.

They started talking earnestly into the device, and listening carefully to the replies.

After about thirty seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said, "Honey, i just spoke to your daddy, and he told me to give this to you." He then gave her the biggest hug you ever did see, and a big kiss on the cheeck. "Your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything in the world, and he's coming home just as soon as he possibly can."

The young soldier rose to his feet and snapped a salute to Courtney and her mom.

As the soldiers began to head towards their gate, she said, there were very few dry eyes, including her own.

Before he disappeared, the young soldier turned around one last time. He blew a kiss to Courtney, and she swears she saw a tear rolling down his cheek.

Your father and I love you very much, Richie, and we think of you every single day. You make us proud to be American.

Stay safe, darling. Our prayers are with you.

All my love
Mom
Yes, it might be American, but it's not the nation that matters in this case, it's the fact it's soldiers pulling together. It touched me when i first read it and it still touches me now. Respect to every single one of you who is serving our country and Queen. You are the top of my list of people i respect, and each and every one of you is ten times braver than i. I wish you all the best of luck in your lives.

I would not be surprised if there are somewhat similar incidents in our country and history though characterised with more reserve and stoicism as has long been the British way of keeping calm and carrying on.

ub3rb0wl said:
This story is old, from 2004. before you rip the p1ss out of me for posting it, just read it. I found it in Eight Lives Down, written by Major Chris Hunter, and it's a stonking great read.

Dear Richie,
I want to share with you a story i was told today by a lady in church. It made me think of you and the girls.

A lady had been in Georgia attending a conference. At the airport, waiting to catch her flight hom, she heard people all around her beginning to clap and cheer. She turned right around.

A group of soldiers was moving through the terminal in their fatigues. There were thirty or forty of them, mostly not much more than boys. She said it was wonderful to know that she wasn't the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

She started clapping too, for these young unsung hereos who, like you, my darling boy, are putting their lives on the line for us every sing day, so our children can stay in school, and we can work and go home without fear or reprisal.

Just then, a little girl, not more than six or seven years old, ran up to one othe soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'Hi,' and the little girl asked him if he could give something to her daddy for her.
The soldier said he would surely try, and asked her what it was she wanted to give.

The little girl grabbed him around the neck and gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

Her mother stepped forward and told the young soldier that her husband was with the Marine Corps and had been in Iraq for almost a year, and little Courtney missed him real bad. The young soldier began to tear up, and when the temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the solders huddled together. Then one of his companions pulled out a walkie-talkie.

They started talking earnestly into the device, and listening carefully to the replies.

After about thirty seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said, "Honey, i just spoke to your daddy, and he told me to give this to you." He then gave her the biggest hug you ever did see, and a big kiss on the cheeck. "Your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything in the world, and he's coming home just as soon as he possibly can."

The young soldier rose to his feet and snapped a salute to Courtney and her mom.

As the soldiers began to head towards their gate, she said, there were very few dry eyes, including her own.

Before he disappeared, the young soldier turned around one last time. He blew a kiss to Courtney, and she swears she saw a tear rolling down his cheek.

Your father and I love you very much, Richie, and we think of you every single day. You make us proud to be American.

Stay safe, darling. Our prayers are with you.

All my love
Mom
Yes, it might be American, but it's not the nation that matters in this case, it's the fact it's soldiers pulling together. It touched me when i first read it and it still touches me now. Respect to every single one of you who is serving our country and Queen. You are the top of my list of people i respect, and each and every one of you is ten times braver than i. I wish you all the best of luck in your lives.
And that your honour is why was caught hugging and kissing a litte girl!!!

Latest Threads