A total mong attempts plumbing ...... advice please

Discussion in 'DIY' started by exblackrat, Feb 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys

To my abject shame, I am a total mong at DIY. I have a pipe in my brick built garden outhouse, that supplies my garden tap. When the snow thawed, I found that the pipe had expanded to come free from the expansion joint ( I hope that is the technical term ) . Would it be a case of just of loosening the joint and inserting the copper pipe and tightening it up or have I got to go and buy a blow torch and set myself alight and run away screaming .....

2. Can you put a photo of it on here for clarification, or id the type of joint from my descriptions below.

There are three basic types of joint, a compression fitting, a soldered fitting and a push-fit bayonet style fitting.

The compression fitting has a nut at either side which screws into a union.

3. Bodging it will in the end probably cost more than having a plumber fix it properly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. For such a simple job, you would have to be either very wealthy, frail, or extremely dense to pay a plumber to sort it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Here picture of my lead mains pipe, installed about 1910, the aperture is
    only wide enough to get a couple of matchstalks in.

the pressure is now much improved.

Attached Files:

6. Whats it made from, if its an end feed both ends will need cleaning with wire wool, put flux around the end that needs attaching then solder.

If its lead the pipe will need to be replaced as its hard to replace and plumbers just ripped it out now

If its a compression fitting all you need is a new olive then you'll be good to go.

Any other help mate just ask

7. I would go for the extremely dense option, but I will go and take a photo of it and put it on the forum. That is ....if I can upload it. My dad , an engineer used to shake his head in pity at me

8. Go to Wickes and get the appropriate "How to" leaflet. I used to find them quite helpful.

9. If it is a brass elbow with a nut on each side, you should be able to fix it.

You will need two adjustable spanners, one to hold the body and one to undo the nut.

If you don't give equal pressure you will twist the other side and damage the pipe... then you WILL need a plumber.

When you take off the nut, a small ring called an olive should drop out.

Slide the nut over the pipe, then the olive, push the pipe into the elbow, then tighten up hand tight.

Using the 2 spanners, nip up the nut about a 1/4 turn, then test.

10. What Vinny says is good, but doesn't fully address the problem. If it is a compression fitting, the old olive may well be trout, and you may struggle to get it off without damaging the pipe. In this case, you might find it easier to replace a section of the pipe.

Getting the Wickes guide is a very good idea.

11. JP, the OP said the pipe had parted company with the fitting so the olive is still inside.

The olive sounds like it hadn't been over tightened, so instead of the pipe splitting, the pipe was just pushed, so should be an easy fix.

Incidentally, you SHOULD have an internal stop tap so you can turn off the water in the winter, but you MUST also open the outside tap to let any water dribble away.... no bursts.

BTW, if you are a DIY novice, I can recommend the Reader's Digest Book of DIY, or the Collins Book of DIY, at least you can get an idea of what's involved.

When I first started plumbing, after I'd done my bit for the day, I used to love wandering about the site, picking up tips from the other trades, a great help when you're restoring a shagged out Victorian house.

12. ahhh mortal, shall we see?????

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that video, nice crack though...

14. Do to yourself what gets done to you at college when you start a plumbing course. That is you buy yourself a length of pipe, a pipe cutter, some solder and compression fittings and a blowtorch, some flux and some solder.

Read a leaflet, watch it on youtube or personally before I went to college I got every Wickes leaflet I could and a Readers Digest DIY book.

Then when you've read your material and got your supplies build a copper pipe ladder with a tap on one end and a hose fitting on the other. Connect to water and test. Repeat until there are no leaks.

Honest, its how they made us look like cnuts at college until we could solder or compression fit without a leak..........then came pipe bending, iron pipe.