'A tidal wave of low morale'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Watch the government work extremely hard on this issue. Not to do anything about it but to ignore it.

And this is not a anti-Tory rant as this would have been the same reaction if Labour had still be in the driving seat.

One thing that springs to mind, is that if, and I believe it would have been, this had been the same policy for Labour as the Tory's are pushing through now, then the link pin and driving force must be the civil service. So is it the case that we are not being served by the CS and the politicians are purely the face of policy which CS hide behind?

2. They're dammed right there's a tidal wave of low morale.

3. I think the best line from the whole piece was the closing one:

"ministers are saying that they have to make cuts across the board" (or words to that effect).

I understand about the state of the deficit, but we can't fight wars "on the cheap" and the benefits packages available to servicemen is essential to the retention of experienced personnel. The government has to realise that while people will put up with a lot for the sake of duty, patience wears thin once families get involved.

4. Well, it could be; or the common demominator could be the massive GBFO black hole in the defence budget - caused by several generations of systematic under funding, and consquent salami slicing, as the Armed Forces, and the CS, played "let's rob Peter to pay Paul" - until the collapse.

Be honest Auld-Yin, have you ever known a time in your life when MOD wasn't starved of funds, and when morale wasn't through the floor boards? There'll be Grafitti in Pompei (and Devonport!) moaning about terms and conditions. Congratulations to those who have done it for temporarily attracting the media's attention, I hope something good comes of it.

5. Is there any point in joining H.M Forces today ??

For a government who don't care a flying **** about its military people anymore.

6. The Govt will only react to issues of morale and pay when they are struggling to recruit. Which they are not. Ergo, they don't actually give a monkeys.

7. Fixed that for you. No need to thank me.

8. The Government is correct that, as a nation, we are short of cash but there is a little thing they might like to consider called correct prioritisation of scarce resources.

The two most fundamental responsibilities of the Government are Defence and Law-and-Order.

Logically, therefore, the Armed Forces and Police / Courts / Prisons should be the highest priority for what cash is available.

The losers should be the NHS and the rest of the "Welfare State" - all of which should fall into the "nice to have" category of funding priority.

That the previous Government had its priorities wrong is a given. Sadly the new Government appear to be taking only a very slightly different route towards making the same mistakes.

9. I think the problem lies with what counts as 'defence'? Is launching wars half way across the world on the whim of the USA defence (And for seemingly next to no benefit for Britain and hence the tax payer)?

These cuts have not threatened the defence of Britain (although arguably they have sacrificed the defence of some of our Overseas Territories). They have however threatened our power projection capabilities. But having them in the first place is a bonus- we are an even more irrelavant nation. Our power projection capabilities, even after cuts, are still better then that of China, India or Russia all of which are bigger more important nations then us.

What Britain needs to do is have a very serious reevaluation of our role in the world and what it is we want to achieve over the next few decades as the world becomes more multipolar, and how it is we want to achieve it. The reevaluation of the Armed Forces should follow.

But what our government has instead done is try to maintain our current failing foreign policy while at the same time cutting the abilities of our Armed Forces and generally trying to do things on the cheap. Its absolutely ridiculous.

10. The WS is still in a shocking state, and unfortunately will get worse before any improvements are seen, the NHS is poorly managed in a various amount of sectors & although vast improvements can still be made, ie efficiency savings managers are still dragging their feet,

Even after nearly 12 months in office the 'Coalition' + Logical are still distances apart, getting rid of Mr Clarke would be one improvement, the spineless fatcat,

As for morale, much more work needs to be done, especially for services leavers, the Panorama programme might be interesting viewing in highlighting the issue, however highlighting & 'addressing' the issue's is one thing...

11. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Auld Yin

I recall that the civil service were not as poor until tinkered with by the Thatcher Government. The formation of the "Senior Civil Service" has, like ACPO, become a self licking lollipop. This has had the effect of protectionism being the first call on any senior civil servant. This attitude then filters down so that the middle management emulate it to appear on side. Thus, the department becomes "not fit for purpose".

12. I'm struggling to see the connection between low morale in the British Army, and the Civil Service.

Is the allegation based on the fact that the Ministry of Defence is full of people in civillian attire?

13. Stand by for the usual 'We need to sack all the overpaid, lazy CS in MOD' diatribes… you watch, it's coming.

14. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Auld Yin suggested that the civil service was a barrier to reform:

"Watch the government work extremely hard on this issue. Not to do anything about it but to ignore it.

And this is not a anti-Tory rant as this would have been the same reaction if Labour had still be in the driving seat.

One thing that springs to mind, is that if, and I believe it would have been, this had been the same policy for Labour as the Tory's are pushing through now, then the link pin and driving force must be the civil service. So is it the case that we are not being served by the CS and the politicians are purely the face of policy which CS hide behind?"

I was merely adding an observation, supporting the argument that the top of the civil service are part of the problem not the solution. The majority of MoD Civil Servants do a good job.