A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
poland's gear looks well ally in that packet.

shame the main course looks like the kind of pavement pizza you find round an indian restaurant on a weekend. :(

I like the Oz kit with the scotchbrite, and a means to keep matches dry, cant beat our life boat matches though. Hard candies inthe brit kit, are they fruit polos?

The Aussie nosh looks by far the best.
The Aussie stuff looks the best with the Italian a very close second. I was surprised to see that Tabasco has gone beyond just the US packs.

All of which look better than the old US "C Rations" I recall in 1965-1966 eating scrambled eggs and ham scrambled in 1943. Also recall the always repellent ham and lima beans canned in 1945. In their defence each packet did give you 4 ciggies, often of obsolete brands. Plus the hot chocolate was always excellent.

The Aussie stuff looks the best with the Italian a very close second. I was surprised to see that Tabasco has gone beyond just the US packs.

All of which look better than the old US "C Rations" I recall in 1965-1966 eating scrambled eggs and ham scrambled in 1943. Also recall the always repellent ham and lima beans canned in 1945. In their defence each packet did give you 4 ciggies, often of obsolete brands. Plus the hot chocolate was always excellent.
I'd give the second place to the Fritz's food, what with the goulash and plenty of fruit and meat . . . When the you can feel the after-taste before you've even opened the packet the spice helps alot.

Wheres the screech?!!

The musk-flavoured stuff tries, unsuccessfully, to prepare you for swallowing the latest load of seething cock-clag from Canberra; no berets, luminous cams, issued webbing only, killing the enemy and being prosecuted for manslaughter afterwards, that kind of thing. Note the one (1) carefully pre-broken biscuit; says it all, really. The Digestive of Mute Eloquence!

There was a great article in The Sunday Times back in the '80s comparing the different nations' rat packs. The conclusion was that any Australian soldier who cared about his food would desert.

What sticks in the mind is that the French pack included Gaulloises, wine & a small pack of jellied pastis for a digestif...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't fancy being a Ukranian other rank if that is the Officers' nosebag.

Why does the main meal in ours look like dog sh1t on rice?

Interesting that the Germans have Cevapcic in their meals, I wonder if this is influenced by the number of refugees from the War in the Balkans that fled to Germany and other places during the War and possibly just how many of their now grown up children serve in the German military.

I see the Koreans are reinforcing their reputation for Jappani-style masochism.

Surely you mean 'ham and motherfuckers'?
I quite liked that one actually. The pound cake was a treat as well in the old "C" rats. :drool::)
The five smokes you got with your ration was welcome, but they were so dry from storage that they burned out like hay when you tried to smoke them.
On the other hand, there was an early MRE meal that was infamous in its nastiness and that was dead dog dicks in a pouch (weiners in tomato sauce). I tried to trade that one away when I got it but few people would trade as few people liked it. :pukel::pale:

Don't be fooled. That BBQ beef stuff is terrible. Chicken Italiano isn't too bad, though. There are plenty of better menus, why they picked the D pack is beyond me.

Perhaps I'm a bit weird, but I kinda miss the old satay beef - heated up, with some faux-Saos crumbled in it, it was brilliant.