A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Sep 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

poland's gear looks well ally in that packet.

shame the main course looks like the kind of pavement pizza you find round an indian restaurant on a weekend. :(
  3. I like the Oz kit with the scotchbrite, and a means to keep matches dry, cant beat our life boat matches though. Hard candies inthe brit kit, are they fruit polos?
  4. Denmark's main meal looks like something my dog dropped today while we were out walking.
    Mind you - he's not been well
  5. The Aussie nosh looks by far the best.
  6. The Aussie stuff looks the best with the Italian a very close second. I was surprised to see that Tabasco has gone beyond just the US packs.

All of which look better than the old US "C Rations" I recall in 1965-1966 eating scrambled eggs and ham scrambled in 1943. Also recall the always repellent ham and lima beans canned in 1945. In their defence each packet did give you 4 ciggies, often of obsolete brands. Plus the hot chocolate was always excellent.
  7. I'd give the second place to the Fritz's food, what with the goulash and plenty of fruit and meat . . . When the you can feel the after-taste before you've even opened the packet the spice helps alot.
  8. Wheres the screech?!!
  9. Like eating incense sticks, apparently.

Although my gutter mind conjured up thoughts of pubic scented candy (in various flavours) before I could think of anything else . . .
  10. I had some impure thoughts also.
  11. The musk-flavoured stuff tries, unsuccessfully, to prepare you for swallowing the latest load of seething cock-clag from Canberra; no berets, luminous cams, issued webbing only, killing the enemy and being prosecuted for manslaughter afterwards, that kind of thing. Note the one (1) carefully pre-broken biscuit; says it all, really. The Digestive of Mute Eloquence!
  12. Feel sorry for the Spanish though....Salad?
  13. There was a great article in The Sunday Times back in the '80s comparing the different nations' rat packs. The conclusion was that any Australian soldier who cared about his food would desert.

What sticks in the mind is that the French pack included Gaulloises, wine & a small pack of jellied pastis for a digestif...
  14. Surely you mean 'ham and motherfuckers'?
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Don't fancy being a Ukranian other rank if that is the Officers' nosebag.