A surgeons guidebook to the horrors of battle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gaijin, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A new book, "War Surgery in Afghanistan and Iraq: A Series of Cases, 2003-2007," quietly issued by the United States Army — the first guidebook of new techniques for American battlefield surgeons to be published while the wars it analyzes are still being fought.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/05/healthscience/05surg.php

What is interesting is the battles over whether or not the book should be censored as the US government tried to 'shield' the public from the horrors of war - or should that be mislead the public?

2. to be honest, i think these sorts of books are necessary, for a variety of reasons...

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I remember being show 'Medicine in Vietnam' back when I first joined up. It left you realising that the surgeons, even back then, could do an awful lot to put people back together. If these things better prepare surgeons and save lives its a no brainer.

Censors, read political spin doctors.

4. That looks a really interesting exhibition. Do you know if it's still showing?

5. I believe it is....it was fascinating. Gillies was an incredible chap, I have a feeling his newphew was the one who started the "guinea pig club" for burt airment in WW2.

6. The general public has no interest in books like this. Its a medical texbook ffs, dedicated to treeating battlefield trauma. How many non-medical people go and browse the relevant section at Blackwells? None.
    I, for one, will probably try and track down a copy at some point, sounds like they've got some interesting ideas for trauma management...lifelong learning and all that ;)

7. Sure we've all seen the new Rambo, the sensitivity train left ages ago :D Blood n' guts are the bread and butter of medic corp, toning it down for peoples precious little brains is pathetic.No detail should be left out if it means someone's life could be saved.

8. I currently work for a Civilian Rehabilitation Hospital and our CMO comes from Walter Reed. A lot of techniques and knowledge gained during these conflicts in the medical field should not be lost. They eventually move over to the civilian sector and helping medicine in general advance.

9. Thanks for that, I looked at the NAM site last night & there was a lot more info on the exhibit on it. Gillies really was a pioneer, he taught McIndoe many of the techniques later used at East Grinstead. McIndoe improved on many of these surgical practices & introduced new ones, consequently he became the surgeon better remembered than Gillies. It's right therefore that Gillies gets the recognition he deserves from this exhibit. I'll be taking a trip to the NAM to see it soon, the subject fascinates me because I teach First Aid & always looking out for background material like this.