A suggestion for the site - a monitor thread option

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by SkiCarver, Nov 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I really like the 'my posts' function as it allows easy access to threads I have contributed to if they have additional posts. However, some threads are interesting to read, but I have nothing to contribute so do not post in. Is there an option to allow me to add a thread I haven't posted in, to a list which performs the same function? (shows if the thread has new posts.)

If not, perhaps the 'my posts' search function could be changed to a 'subscribed threads' search function.

hmmm, not sure if that makes sense... oh well. lets give it a go anyway!

2. thats a very good idea have you pm'd one of the MODs?
  3. Yes there is. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see it says 'watch this topic for replies'. Click on it and you'll get an e-mail every time someone replies on the thread.
  4. everyday is a school day
  5. Ta for that, but the trouble is, i dont really want lots of emails. The "my posts" function is very simple, efficient and quick. If it could be modded to include threads you have selected, i feel that would be more useful and convenient.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Either I'm being thick or you haven't understood TT's suggestion.

1. Select the thread you're interested in but haven't contributed to.
    2. Scroll to bottom of page.
    3. Click 'Watch topic for replies'.
    4. Enjoy notifications of new posts in your favourite thread.

I'm not sure why you think you would receive 'lots of emails'. You can select as many threads as you want to be notified about or you can have just the one. Once you've had enough of that thread, you just click 'stop watching this topic'. Capice?
  7. Presumably he thinks he's going to get an email every time the topic he's watching is replied to - on a fast-moving topic, that would equate to a lot of emails. IIRC, however, when watching a topic, you get an email when a reply's been posted and then no more until you've opened that email, even if 50 replies have gone up in the meantime.
  8. That's how it works.
  9. My bold.

This was exactly my concern. If you are correct that only one email will be sent between your visits to the thread, that is better, but when I am looking at arrse, i dont want to have to go and look through my emails to see if any of the threads I am interested in have additional posts.

10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

My bold.