A submariner in Spain's return to modelling!

I've made some comments on the 'proper' areas of the modelling site. Now I need some help! I have just been emergency 'docked down' for a few weeks in hospital and recuperation. However, I'm probably going into dock again soon for a (unrelated) major refit.....

As a bit of planning ahead, I'm thinking a nice kit to keep me occupied for the (what might be quite a long recovery), I'll get me one of them there plastic models. So far I have a shed, a posh Dremel with lots of extra bits, lots of mini and micro tools and an inventive mind. At sea on patrol many moons ago I used the make the 'Artisania' (?) small wooden kits - gun carriages and the like to while away the hours not spent repairing sonar sets!

I have no aspirations to follow the site Gods (you know who you are!) as far as detail or dioramas are involved. As a matelot, a submarine is the obvious choice for me, however, that would take a forenoon to do, leaving a lot of spare time!

My last proper job was on the Type 45 Project, specifically hulls 1 and 2, so I'm thinking a Type 45 kit. Looking on popular selling sites I see Airfix, Trumpeter and a couple of others..... one showing the white ensign flying from the Jack Staff at sea......? Huh? Some advice from the amazing massed knowledge about the 'best' kit to get would be appreciated. Seeing the consultant this Thursday......... gulp. Lucky I've got Amazon Prime!!

I've made some comments on the 'proper' areas of the modelling site. Now I need some help! I have just been emergency 'docked down' for a few weeks in hospital and recuperation. However, I'm probably going into dock again soon for a (unrelated) major refit.....

As a bit of planning ahead, I'm thinking a nice kit to keep me occupied for the (what might be quite a long recovery), I'll get me one of them there plastic models. So far I have a shed, a posh Dremel with lots of extra bits, lots of mini and micro tools and an inventive mind. At sea on patrol many moons ago I used the make the 'Artisania' (?) small wooden kits - gun carriages and the like to while away the hours not spent repairing sonar sets!

I have no aspirations to follow the site Gods (you know who you are!) as far as detail or dioramas are involved. As a matelot, a submarine is the obvious choice for me, however, that would take a forenoon to do, leaving a lot of spare time!

My last proper job was on the Type 45 Project, specifically hulls 1 and 2, so I'm thinking a Type 45 kit. Looking on popular selling sites I see Airfix, Trumpeter and a couple of others..... one showing the white ensign flying from the Jack Staff at sea......? Huh? Some advice from the amazing massed knowledge about the 'best' kit to get would be appreciated. Seeing the consultant this Thursday......... gulp. Lucky I've got Amazon Prime!!

Welcome. A resource that may prove useful to you in the future - Scalemates, scale modeling database | stash manager

As for knocking out a submarine kit in a forenoon watch, you may want to consider this instead.;)

Speaking as somebody now working on the T45 programme, whatever you do will instantly be an improvement on the actual 45s :p

Best of luck for the refit, sure you will be fine.

You could do something a bit more challenging than a submarine, surely.

Look, I did one a while ago:

1618767689842.png

With a set of tools like that and a lot of time I would recommend something like this. Not modern navy I agree, but certainly Royal navy and needs quite a few weeks of work. I made this model last year and loved it.
boat96.jpg

CALDERCRAFT HM MORTAR VESSEL CONVULSION WOODEN MODEL KIT

You'll have it done in no time.

View attachment 566372

There's no awesome button.

Londo

LE

Wishing you all the best on the health front

if you are considering doing a surface vessel, the first decisions you have to make after choosing the actual kit, are, waterline or full hull. if it's waterline you have the sea to model, I'm still perfecting my representations of water, the most difficult but rewarding aspect to it all, modelling nature, far more difficult than making anything built by mankind.

Daz

LE
if you are considering doing a surface vessel, the first decisions you have to make after choosing the actual kit, are, waterline or full hull. if it's waterline you have the sea to model, I'm still perfecting my representations of water, the most difficult but rewarding aspect to it all, modelling nature, far more difficult than making anything built by mankind.
Avoid 1/700 scale should be added to that list ,

Revell 1/350 German Submarine Type VIIC/41 might be a good start for you, even that's tiny as you can see below
Edit, it's length is 192 mm long
IMG_20201024_141606_edited.jpg
IMG_20201024_141622_edited.jpg
IMG_20201024_141633_edited.jpg

Daz

LE
I am tending towards the Type 45 - any thoughts on the Airfix or Trumpeter versions? Trumpeter seems to be 'sold out' at the moment on the interweb.

Daz

LE
I am tending towards the Type 45 - any thoughts on the Airfix or Trumpeter versions? Trumpeter seems to be 'sold out' at the moment on the interweb.
As a starter, the Airfix kit, with a bit of practise the Trumpeter offering, the Trumpeter comes with etched brass, therefore needs a bit more skill, while the Airfix is just plastic out of the box

Latest Threads