A Stoning in Afghanistan-The Past is Prologue?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another thought provoking post from Michael Yon that reminds us the more thingws change, the more they stay the same:

No doubt this practice is only done by "extremists" or those only claiming to be Muslim.
  2. Without casting aspersions on the (no doubt) meticulous research of Michener or the fact this still goes on, I'm not sure a novel is the best proof........
  3. every stone that hit her drew blood through her clothes?

Isnt the idea of stoning to hit the head? thats why 'normally' the condemed is buried up to their waist or shoulders.
  4. Fair point. I should have been more clear as to my reason for the post. It was to remond us of what a "stoning" entails since I think we in the comfort of our "western" circumstances lose sight of the reality.
  5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Stonings,beheadings, flogging, and forced amputations are nothing new in the Middle East, its just that it has now been picked up by the western press in some form of attempt to cause outrage,
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There is more of it here:

Conservative Beach Girl: October 2006

7. Regardless of the timing of coverage, I think it is still worth reflecting upon since we can get jaded so quickly in our comfort and security such that "stonings, beheadings, flogging, and forced amputations" become mere words without real content. It is then much easier to turn a blind eye or merely shrug and say that such things are "nothing new in the Middle East."