A stiff upper lip never did me any harm

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by thegimp, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Totally agree. Too many people wallowing in self pity. After every job with a hint of blood these days we get offered 'councilling' which I think is more to do with the fact that they don't want to get their arses sued by someone saying 'you never prepared me for that'. My attitude is to just get on with it, it's what you signed for.
    I think the military have it right, yes the blokes are upset when one of their mates gets killed but then they crack on without bleating to the world that it's not fair.
    I reckon it all started when the Arab shagger Di popped her clogs and the country stopped to cry.
  2. Unfortunately, it seems like the feckers have yet to stop fcuking crying....
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That was actually a really moving article. It made me feel quite positive about the UK, and my role in it.

TBH, all these stories in the press lately have been making me very depressed and moody.

I spoke to the missus about maybe having some counselling, or taking some of those funny pills to help me get through the winter period too, as the lack of sunlight was just filling me with angst.

I'm quite positive about the idea of using 'stiff-upper-lipology' to try and enhance my generally dour demeanour, and it may even put an end to the constant beatings I give my wife because of the low self-esteem I have.
  4. Now, now! There's such an idea as taking it too far, you know!

After all, what else are you supposed to give her on her birthday?
  5. Councelling, as a councellor you can get about £90 an hour for doing what any NCO does all the time, listening and advising. Money rules in Britain.

secondly the media these days all seem to have learnt their trade from the Septics, and so of course want to be as intrusive as possible and get good tv pics of people crying/screaming/ranting to bump up their image/reputation as hard nosed reporters
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Some of these places charge £250 per hour!! I know that because when I was wrapping the black-nasty around this guy's mouth, he told me what he earned and said he could give me a load of it if I let him live. For a moment, I almost weakened, but caught myself, gave myself a stiff talking to, got my stiff upper lip back in action, reminded myself that a blubby bottom lip was not something that sociopaths suffered from and proceeded to merrily choke him to death, before robbing all his possessions.

It's not just 'emotions' that have got the better of British society, it's 'guilt' too. Terrible things, 'guilt' and 'emotion'.
  7. i agree with all of that except one. stood in the kitchen with a brew and a mate get the whole load of whats bothering you off your chest either be told 'yeah been there done that' or 'stop being a soft get' and then get on with things in a stiff upper lipped manner. talking about stuff (not moaning and seeking councelling or whatever helps rationalise the problem (even if the other person says sod all) and enables you (or me at least) to crack on.

whoops that was a sensible answer in the naafi bar.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold,

and how does that make you feel?
  9. Counselling. Councilling is when a bunch of half arsed politicos go to a town hall to preside over wasting vasts sums of our money from council tax by failing to empty our bins regualarly and run failing schools for our children.

Anyway, here's my 3 stage Counselling program:

Shut the fcuk up.
    Life sucks.
    Crack on on you big Mary.

A revolutionary self help therapy by Dr Walt
  10. Dirty and wrong. Am i cured yet?
  11. Biped, is that anything like my role of working man with tax provision drip fed into my veins? :wink:
  12. Isn't that what most counsellors do?

*note that I've spelt it right this time Shakespeare!*
  13. You clearly have unresolved anger issues. Would you like to talk about it?