Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

I think you should be well chuffed with that

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tell you what though, treat it to a decent nameplate.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Tell you what though, treat it to a decent nameplate.

Having spent far too many years farting about on Gravograph machines at various units, I categorically refuse to pay for engraving!

stuskimac

Clanker
For a 1st model & diorama I'd be pretty pleased with that too, excellent job mate.

One question though "do you think the farmer will put a claim in for the fence?" :)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
For a 1st model & diorama I'd be pretty pleased with that too, excellent job mate.

One question though "do you think the farmer will put a claim in for the fence?" :)
Tell him a big Nazi did it and ran away...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Got a bit more done today, but my eyes are stuggling with the close work and a jewellers loup isn't cutting it (especially as my daughter has now accused me of wearing a monocle).

Any suggestions for decent magnifiers etc?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Got a bit more done today, but my eyes are stuggling with the close work and a jewellers loup isn't cutting it (especially as my daughter has now accused me of wearing a monocle).

Cheapo reading glasses are quite popular with figure modelers, a lot use optivisors, I never got on with them myself.

D740EDD4-FA34-4319-9AC7-8DB5A562A52F.jpeg

Cheapo reading glasses are quite popular with figure modelers, a lot use optivisors, I never got on with them myself.

I really like them. I wish I’d got a better set - mine were about 15 sheets

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yesterday's progress...

Started on the running gear and the modified armour shield top right got a lick of olive drab to see how it looks (also note "Monocle" in background :roll: )

1611483622834.png

Got on with fabricating the crew compartment, drive train looks about right (although needing some filler), and the seats need work:

1611484070344.png

The rear wall needs a radiator (made out of layers of 1mm plastic sheet, and still to be finished) and the fire extinguisher fixed to it, along with some cable runs / pipes. I've seen various layouts for this so not sure how it will go here?

1611484209191.png

A snag which has become apparent is that the Tamiya model, being originally designed to be fitted with a motor, is very basic and doesn't even include the base of the sponsons (internal stowage above the tracks, which will just be visible with the top armour fitted). So out with the 1mm plastic sheet again.

Cut to size:

1611484528319.png

Installed:

1611484553640.png

With lower body fitted:

1611484633251.png

This also makes the option to remove the skirt side panels a bit more attractive (although I'm undecided). as it'll cover up with mud and look the part. But I like the look of the skirt.

Originally I was planning to paint the interior white as per US manufacturer standard, but a major refurb like this would have been carried out at a REME workshop, and they would have slapped silver paint over all the internal fixtures and fittings. so I think silver it is...

Anyway, not too bad, considering I can hardly bloody see anything without the jewellers loup!

No, this variant deployed the 'Holy hand grenade of Antioch', as any fool knows.

Almost.

'Located in the heart of the city, Gan Sacher is one of Jerusalemites’ most beloved location, offering them the opportunity to stroll, jog, barbecue and play. However, a different kind of experience was awaiting the archaeologists working on a salvage excavation during renovations in the area: the encounter with a British hand grenade dating back to the First World War.

'The grenade was uncovered in an ancient cistern by Oscar Becherno, director of the archaeological excavation on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority.'

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Today's effort in between making toad in the hole and watching TV with No1 son:

Getting the internals sorted, floorplate and engine compartment bulkhead:

1611520382484.png

And all the bits and bobs - driveshaft cover, seats & cushions radiator and fire extinguishers, along with very full seat cushions:

1611520626992.png

Not forgetting radios for the sponsons:

1611520694972.png

Which fit quite nicely if I do say so myself :cool:

1611520749023.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Next a check of the installation to confirm alignment:

1611520869955.png

And with the lid on:

1611520924364.png

And then fit it all in place:

1611520978842.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
That looks damn fine.
Thanks. I haven't braved the airbrush yet, but it all seems to be going in the right direction.

Famous last words...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
@Listy, I have a question. Earlier you suggested sticking a PIAT inside the M5 recce, which I plan to do. For the ammo to go along with it, what length are the three cardboard bomb tubes held together with webbing, and would six bombs be a reasonable load out for a recce wagon? As you are the spigot mortar pervert expert, it seems only fair that I ask you! Thanks....

@Listy, I have a question. Earlier you suggested sticking a PIAT inside the M5 recce, which I plan to do. For the ammo to go along with it, what length are the three cardboard bomb tubes held together with webbing, and would six bombs be a reasonable load out for a recce wagon? As you are the spigot mortar pervert expert, it seems only fair that I ask you! Thanks....

As with everything Spigot mortar, I can only answer with 'It depends'. What sort of rounds do you want, and what date?
The Mk.I and Mk.IA rounds were shorter than the Mk.II and above due to the new fuse. However, IIRC you could get an adaptor for the Mk.I and IA to fit the new fuse, which would likely have made it a tiny bit longer than the later Mk.II rounds.
Originally the carriers were long enough to fit the Mk.I (and IA), but the longer fuse meant that the caps could not be closed fully, and sat partially closed held by webbing. This was deemed perfectly safe and proven so by handling trials, and was used until newer longer carriers appeared.

So I guess, will we be able to see the fuses on the bombs? If so, do you want a @Simmerit Chinook level of detail? Because you can visually tell the two fuses apart.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Okay, thanks. What I need is a measurement of the tube length for a standard issue (rather than airborne) anti tank round ,Oct 44 - March 45. I'm nowhere near good enough to make the fuses etc, so the lids will be on!

Okay, thanks. What I need is a measurement of the tube length for a standard issue (rather than airborne) anti tank round ,Oct 44 - March 45. I'm nowhere near good enough to make the fuses etc, so the lids will be on!

Well the length of the projectile is about 375mm. So you'd be looking at a shade over that. At modelling scale I doubt anyone will be arguing.