Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

Can I be the duty sad bastard and point out that I did know about it :)
Don’t worry Daz I only coz I read Listy’s article at some point. :rolleyes:

Small world Listy, on those two articles part 1. The first bloke to comment Keybroad No Oni, I know him ex 2RTR .

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks to a Zoom disconnect this afternoon, I managed to slap some filler on and fabricate then fit some angle brackets:

1610988149179.png

Time to put the roast in, so that's it for today!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Waiting around for another bloody zoom call this morning,, so a quick ten minutes with a needle file to tidy the filler and the brackets up:

1611048037681.png

Still some work to do, more filler required on the brackets at the rear:

1611048212038.png

...but a start I think.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Daz

LE
What... all of the Plastic story?

Well us tank nerds are a very small world.
A fair chunk of it I suppose, I tend to get sidetracked by odd topics while looking at something else, in this case, it was small craft, MTB's/MGBs etc ......and one thing leads to another ;)

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
Surprised that small craft like that didn't get use of Plate.

What Daz said.
The Americans used some plate on the PT boats later on as splinter protection, the helmsman's station received 1/4-inch protective plating and that was it, in general, MGBs & MTBs etc were to rely on speed or stealth for protection, adding sufficient armour plating on the hulls would have had a negative impact on their speed and performance, hence relying on a small amount of splinter protection on key areas

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You may remember I had left my Matilda practice piece in the state below, as I was awaiting a mail drop of scenery bits to finish off the diorama :

1611134729509.png

Well, the parcel from Wonderland finally arrived, and I was underwhelmed. I'd ordered a short length of fence and hedge, some wire fencing, some grass tufts and a bag of green lichen from their OO rail accessories, to give the Matilda something to charge through on either side of the metalled road.

What arrived was a bit on the tonk side, the length of fence and hedge looks crap (unlike the pic on the site obvs) and is flat on one side - totally unusable for this diorama.

1611135038640.png

The wire fencing is shiny, grey plastic and way too thick to look the part.

1611135179702.png

The lichen is bright lime green unlike the pic on the site, but I may be able to use it with some painting elsewhere, however it's too bulky for this diorama. At least the grass tufts were good (although a replacement item for what I originally ordered, but workable).

1611135336392.png

This delivery of general crapness (more my fault than Wonderland for picking ready made bits to slap on) basically left me with a tank crossing a road between two soon-to-be-grassy fields, not at all what I had in mind. So I got out a box of matches and started fiddling...

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
First, fence posts:

1611135657586.png

Add some 5 amp fuse wire:

1611135807111.png

Paint the wood:

1611135832082.png

Stick the grass tufts down, add some coloured sawdust around them and position the wooden fencing:

1611136007536.png

The next thing to do is fix the tank in place, and fit the wire fence around and under the front of the hull, as if it's in the process of crashing through it. I have changed my mind about the broken telegraph pole in the corner, it doesn't really add anything and makes the scene too busy.

So far so good:

1611136291698.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
First, fence posts:

View attachment 541102

Add some 5 amp fuse wire:

View attachment 541103

Paint the wood:

View attachment 541104

Stick the grass tufts down, add some coloured sawdust around them and position the wooden fencing:

View attachment 541105

The next thing to do is fix the tank in place, and fit the wire fence around and under the front of the hull, as if it's in the process of crashing through it. I have changed my mind about the broken telegraph pole in the corner, it doesn't really add anything and makes the scene too busy.

So far so good:

View attachment 541106
Very neat little scene

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mine usually go the other way.
Don't worry it's not finished yet. Plenty of time for it all to go horribly, horribly wrong, especially as I've just slapped the kiss of death on it by saying how well it's going...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, I think I've cracked the practice piece. Or rather, I think this is as good as it's going to get:

1611234384875.png

1611234411640.png

1611234434337.png

1611234450466.png

1611234477579.png

The wire fence doesn't show up too well in these photos, but looks better to the naked eye.

Daz

LE

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks very much, I know there are things wrong with it that I just don't have the skills to deal with, but for my first model in four years, I'm quite chuffed it's turned out pretty much as I'd imagined.

Back to the M5 Recce as soon as work permits!

Latest Threads