Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

Yes ,British units often did get issued US K-Rations (especially in the further-flung theatres of war), which were universally derided in British memoirs as 'disgusting'.

Plastic goodness arrived via the harbingers of Amazon today, a Tamiya US weapons kit, along with some ammo boxes and a couple of Paras on bikes. I got carried away and decided to drill out the barrel shroud of the disassembled M2 .50Cal body with predictable results. Fortunately there are two in the kit, so I will have another go in better light, and a little more patience. I'm thinking of having the .50 dismounted and stripped for cleaning on the back decks (or on the Carrier perhaps?). Not sure yet, choices choices!
that's a great idea, the .50 field stripped for cleaning , proper job.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Second Attempt:

1610808551183.png

A bit of work to do on the .50cal M2 Browning. More effort required on the working parts hanging out the arse end, and I'll have to put the top cover on at about 45 degrees, but I think it's starting to look the part, and the drilling out of the barrel shroud looks better than the first one! The only thing is whether I should put it on this diorama: the idea is a small recce patrol being briefed just before heading up the line. If I do the jeep being maintained, I'll put it in, otherwise I might have to use it on something else.

1610808863459.png

.30 Cal Browning conversion from M1919A6 to M1919A4. Sadly I don't have a drill small enough to cut out the elevation pintle scallop from the M1917 mount, and I need to mount an ammo box to the cradle... this will be fit at the rear of the M5 Recce cupola, so I might stick a tarp on part or all of it.

1610809121409.png

A pressure tank from the US M2A1 "portable flamethrower" is being repurposed as the Fire extinguisher tank in the hull of the M5 Recce. A couple of strap clamps and a tap to add, and she'll do I think...

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes ,British units often did get issued US K-Rations (especially in the further-flung theatres of war), which were universally derided in British memoirs as 'disgusting'.
I've also just received some resin British ration boxes. I haven't used resin stuff before, how do I cleanly remove the mould excess?

1610810204524.png

Dads203

Old-Salt
I've also just received some resin British ration boxes. I haven't used resin stuff before, how do I cleanly remove the mould excess?

View attachment 539863

You’ll probably need a razor saw for that, Tamiya make a cheap one with two blades. They are about a fiver to buy.
Failing that you could try with a junior hacksaw blade and finish off with a sanding stick.

Splitz

Old-Salt
At the request of @SPROCKET321 , I'm putting this up here, so if my modelling "skills" make your teeth itch, you know who to blame.

Thanks to COVID I've decided to throw myself in at the deep end:

The last time I did a big model build was about 5 years ago when I smashed my knee up and ended my military skiing career (coulda been a contender etc), when I built this:

1610284718104.png

It's basically the model I wanted to build about forty years ago, hence use of the Airfix bombed house and the fantasian German emplacement. The base and scenery is made of scrap wood so with the shonky display case I mad,e it now weighs in as a portly flyweight, and sits on the floor in the library acting as a weird coffee table.

As a little practice piece, I'm making a 1/72 Matilda to see if I remember which end of the paintbrush I need to glue. I've bought a cheap airbrush which I haven't tried yet, and I have started the prep work for the interior of the Recce Scout as much as I can figure it out. fortunately, as well as the official manufacturer Recce version, British Theatre Workshops were knocking them out locally so there'll be a fair amount of artistic licence applied.

I'm making the Scout Recce (basically a Scout light tank with the Turret removed) from a Tamiya 1/35 M5A1 kit:

View attachment 537994
I'm so glad you included these pictures. Reading the thread title I was afraid I'd be faced with some crusty denizen from the depths of the Sergeants mess trying to look alluring in his DPM skiddies...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm so glad you included these pictures. Reading the thread title I was afraid I'd be faced with some crusty denizen from the depths of the Sergeants mess trying to look alluring in his DPM skiddies...
No, that's the other thread...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
A bit more on the M5 Recce today.

Looking at the photos provided earlier by @Listy below, I realised that my boxing around the drive shaft was too low and too wide, so I made another from 1mm sheet and also put a radius on the driver seat backs:

1610901692509.png

From another photo from @Listy, I decided to have a crack at the octagonal low shield around the turret next. I only have the 1mm plastic sheet which is too thick to be used for this.

1610901274039.png

Fortunately, I remembered the remainder of this kit, which has tank obstacles made out of angle iron, a couple of which are on top of the box:

1610901857428.png

This is where it all gets a bit agricultural...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
First I measured out between the the centres of the turret race clamps, and scored them with a scalpel lightly:

1610902090710.png

Then I got out my trusty Plate vice (Armourer Basic trade piece if you must know) and a junior hacksaw with the NSN filed off, and not-so-delicately cut the plastic girders to fit:

1610902338287.png

Caarefully selecting the best die to use as the vertical I then cut in the angles on the horizontals to make the octagon. Sadly my Tiffy maths failed me and instead of cutting the first two at 22.5 degrees, I blindly cut them at 45 degrees the two on the top left left. Bugger. The other two are at the correct angle:

1610902614735.png

Attachments

• 1610902739291.png
    1610902739291.png
    543.8 KB · Views: 8

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
After re-cutting two more pieces and angling them all (pretty roughly), I started fitting them to the turret ring:

1610902903782.png

And with a couple of bodges, it looks like this:

1610902949269.png

A bit of filler and she'll look lovely, honest. I need to try and put some welds on the joints anyway.

1610902994682.png

Actually I quite like the look of the internal octagon, so I might leave it like that. That "local modifications means I can do what I want" card is being played early!

Dads203

Old-Salt
That’s looking rather good mate, going together well and moving in the right direction.

After re-cutting two more pieces and angling them all (pretty roughly), I started fitting them to the turret ring:

View attachment 540250

And with a couple of bodges, it looks like this:

View attachment 540252

A bit of filler and she'll look lovely, honest. I need to try and put some welds on the joints anyway.

View attachment 540254

Actually I quite like the look of the internal octagon, so I might leave it like that. That "local modifications means I can do what I want" card is being played early!

As you're going with what I suspect is a Canadian equipment something to keep in mind, and a suggestion.
1: The Star decal, needs to be on its side with the pointy bit forward.
2: Can I interest you in the ultimate Canadian weapon system? The WASP IIc with Plastic Protective Plating armour packs, that was all but immune to the German's like anti-tank weapons. It'd require some modelling and cutting of plasti-card for your carrier.

As you're going with what I suspect is a Canadian equipment something to keep in mind, and a suggestion.
2: Can I interest you in the ultimate Canadian weapon system? The WASP IIc with Plastic Protective Plating armour packs, that was all but immune to the German's like anti-tank weapons. It'd require some modelling and cutting of plasti-card for your carrier.
That Plastic Plating armour, is that the same type of material that was fitted to warships and Armed Merchantman?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Not Canuckian, , I'm afraid. I'm a right little Englander...

That Plastic Plating armour, is that the same type of material that was fitted to warships and Armed Merchantm

It was fitted to just about everything! But yes, same stuff.

I did a two part article on Plastic.

Part two has a lot of pictures of what Plastic was used for. Including the aforementioned WASP IIc:
CSkkAu4.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It was fitted to just about everything! But yes, same stuff.

I did a two part article on Plastic.

Part two has a lot of pictures of what Plastic was used for. Including the aforementioned WASP IIc:
CSkkAu4.png
Fascinating, thanks! I consider myself reasonably well read on WW2 especially technology, but I'd never heard of PPP. Every day really is a school day.

Daz

LE
Fascinating, thanks! I consider myself reasonably well read on WW2 especially technology, but I'd never heard of PPP. Every day really is a school day.
Can I be the duty sad bastard and point out that I did know about it :)

Latest Threads