A Southern Biff's Return to Modelling

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, that's one way to keep the oiks and scumbags off your beach.... ;-)
Amusingly, there are others who think that shooters are the oiks and scumbags: the residents in the new flats built just to the east of the ranges have got together a resident's committee to complain about the Army firing at all times of the day and night right next to them. As the flats are about 3 years old and the Army's been shooting at Hythe Ranges since the 1820s, I think they may have a bit of an uphill struggle.

Amusingly, there are others who think that shooters are the oiks and scumbags: the residents in the new flats built just to the east of the ranges have got together a resident's committee to complain about the Army firing at all times of the day and night right next to them. As the flats are about 3 years old and the Army's been shooting at Hythe Ranges since the 1820s, I think they may have a bit of an uphill struggle.

I spent plenty of time there over the years. Not my favourite ranges TBH but as you say - the army hasbeen there a long time and I guess the locals would have been told before they signed for their new flats.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Last Sunday, in between various DCOS-inspired taskings, I finally managed to get the glue and scalpel back out. Rather than tidy up loose ends I thought I'd start with the troops marching up to the battle, using this kit as a base:

1621424863339.png

Chosen mainly because it's got them wearing leather jerkins, I'm planning to make them standard platoon troops rather than the MG team, and using Hornet heads as the helmets (like so many others) are teeny and just look wrong.

One thing of note with Britis / commonwealth troops is the regular issue or acquisition of standard shovels and picks to infantrymen as well as their entrenching tools, and unlike with 58 pattern webbing there was never a carriage fitting resulting in some creative alternatives, shoved between the small pack and the
backstraps, or hooked behind an ammo pouch, or just carried in a free hand:

1621425418196.png
1621425491040.png
1621425547099.png

1621425731218.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Inorder to accurately represent this, I had a play around, and I think this will work:

1621426039869.png

1621426058045.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Moving on to the figure, I cleaned up the flashing and drilled the torso to take the Hornet head:

1621426293858.png

Then I stuck the legs and torso together and gave it a lick of Humbrol:

1621426340518.png

1621426357860.png

...And at this point SWMBO intervened and I haven't had a chance to do anything since....:mad:

those tiny helmets in the kit are obvious from the artwork on the box, at least they are honest, Hornets heads the way to go.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I had planned in an afternoon of plastic high jinks, frustration and sadness, but SWMBO has trumped me again with Matrimonial Unwritten Contract, Section 2(B): Exigencies of the Marriage. It is apparently absolutely essential that I spend this afternoon fitting clocks actions to the rear of clock faces painted by the speshul needs kids she teaches (by the looks of it they had paint brushes tied to their head dobbers, but hey, everyone's a critic). Obviously this was told to me at zero notice an hour ago, whilst I was also prepping Sunday dinner as she'd been out for a long walk with friends this morning and knackered her knee.

I present as my evidence of mitigation the production line of clocks being glued onto the rather too thick MDF (requiring the drilling of a relieving countersink (not shown)):

1621781954284.png

It appears that I may take the crown for slowest builder from @Simmerit at this rate... I therefore throw myself on the mercy of Arrse.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I admire your swimbo's ability to Delegate tasks to he who can, she's an affective sounding manager.
Gratingly effective.

It's amazing, I lead a team of ten senior engineers (all experts in their own areas) providing assurance to a wide array of users and maintainers, delegating tasks on an hourly basis, so many it would make a mere mortal's head spin (as opposed to an Engineer :cool: ), and yet with two teenagers in the house and a wife due home in the next half hour I'm the one sorting out dinner at her behest, whilst on the phone to my minions and occasionally posting on Arrse. Where did it all go wrong?

Oh yeah. I got married, a second time.

Daz

LE
Well I had planned in an afternoon of plastic high jinks, frustration and sadness, but SWMBO has trumped me again with Matrimonial Unwritten Contract, Section 2(B): Exigencies of the Marriage. It is apparently absolutely essential that I spend this afternoon fitting clocks actions to the rear of clock faces painted by the speshul needs kids she teaches (by the looks of it they had paint brushes tied to their head dobbers, but hey, everyone's a critic). Obviously this was told to me at zero notice an hour ago, whilst I was also prepping Sunday dinner as she'd been out for a long walk with friends this morning and knackered her knee.

I present as my evidence of mitigation the production line of clocks being glued onto the rather too thick MDF (requiring the drilling of a relieving countersink (not shown)):

View attachment 575761

It appears that I may take the crown for slowest builder from @Simmerit at this rate... I therefore throw myself on the mercy of Arrse.
Not even close to the slowest build on here, may I refer my Learned friend to this post https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/military-modelling.62648/post-10361077 Please note the lack of updates since :)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Daz

LE
Gratingly effective.

It's amazing, I lead a team of ten senior engineers (all experts in their own areas) providing assurance to a wide array of users and maintainers, delegating tasks on an hourly basis, so many it would make a mere mortal's head spin (as opposed to an Engineer :cool: ), and yet with two teenagers in the house and a wife due home in the next half hour I'm the one sorting out dinner at her behest, whilst on the phone to my minions and occasionally posting on Arrse. Where did it all go wrong?

Oh yeah. I got married, a second time.
I hope you’re first one wasn’t as an expensive a mistake as the first mrs simmerit was…….

I’m at court on the 7th June for the day…….. thirteen years later

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope you’re first one wasn’t as an expensive a mistake as the first mrs simmerit was…….

I’m at court on the 7th June for the day…….. thirteen years later
Caution - Thread drift!

The first Mrs Tmw and I parted company 25 years ago; I am the only divorcee in the nineties I've ever met to actually get out of a marriage in better state than my ex-wife. I can't claim any credit, it was all down to hiring (by chance) a solicitor who turned out to be sensible, honest and crafty. Whereas the Ex hired a shyster who promised to rape me for every penny (I was a Sgt on my Tiffy course, so there weren't that many pennies), and charged her so much whilst demanding ridiculous claims that her bill was so large she eventually had to settle for what she was entitled to rather than what the shyster had promised.

The shyster started by bombarding me (not my solicitor) with a series of threatening letters demanding:
  • Maintenance for the kids from her previous marriage that her first ex was already paying maintenance for
  • 100% of the house (which was in both our names)
  • All of our savings, including a shares dividend offer from Halifax from a separate account in my name
  • 50% of any pension I might get from my full military service (we'd been married 5 years)
  • Public defenestration and rubbing in all the sh1t in creation.
My solicitor when I started receiving these told me to respond to the shyster instructing him to send all communications on to her whereupon she did... nothing, for which she charged me.... nothing. The letters kept coming (and kept totting up on the Ex's legal fees), and she didn't respond, until the shyster phoned her and she told him that she wasn't going to run up my bill responding to spurious claims; oh and by the way if the ex wanted half of my pension, she'd have to cough up half of her NHS pension. Now do you want to settle?

When the shyster started doing the same thing again, she went silent again, until my Ex's bill was so big that the shyster knew he wouldn't get any more out of her. At this point he advised her to settle, for half of the house sale, half of the savings, no child maintenance, an undertaking that neither of us would try to claim each others' pensions, and half of the proceeds of the shares dividend (Grrr). My Ex had no option but to agree. The house sold the same month as the Decree Absolute, all of the other stuff was dealt with and I paid my bill (less than a Grand IIRC), leaving me with a decent little lump of cash sitting in my account. I heard from mutual friends that the Ex had to pay the Shyster's ginormous bill using all of the estate and was on the hook for the remainder on a monthly bill for a year. :dance:

I still can't say that or write that without a huge grin on my face. It was fcuking awful to go through (as all divorces are), but at the end of it I actually felt like I'd won twice: once in getting out of a horrendous marriage, and twice in not getting fleeced whilst the Ex was. I sent the Solicitor a letter of thanks and I think she used part of it in her advert from then on.

I met the current Mrs Tmw four years later, we were married within seven months, and have two kids of our own. Definitely better second time around!

Maybe I should make a 1/32 model of me getting rat-arsed and shagging anything with a pulse for the remainder of my Tiffy course?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Maybe I should make a 1/32 model of me getting rat-arsed and shagging anything with a pulse for the remainder of my Tiffy course?
1/32 ?
Partly life size then.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer